What's new

My bullet tip door is loose when closed fixable?

I've been using my MM Bullet tip all week and it did a good job on the first few shaves but now it's not. The door is loose when I close it when I put the blade in. Meaning the blade shift's up and down and to the sides. Do you think it's worth fixing or just get a new one and hope for the best?

If it's the later this is the second SE razor I would have to replace. The 1st one was a Clog Pruf that had worn down blade stops so it didn't give me a good shave either. Although I am using GEM PTFE blades now which are great btw I've been using one blade all week.

Thanks

I don't know how to fit these single edge TTOs, but if you de-spine a blade and put it in backwards above your shaving blade it should close up tight.

I'm intrigued myself, having read about slack caps but not experienced it myself. I'd like to know myself in case I happen upon one.

Don't know if this will work or not but the normal recommendation for this on a TTO Gillette is a soak or two in really hot almost boiling water. The idea is loosen up and clear the crud inside the handle. I think that likely the problem. Worth a try.

Thanks for the help

I might try the hot water thing first to see if that works. The spineless blade is a good idea too but I wouldn't know how to remove the spine.

I have had a couple of Micro Matics that were worse. So bad that they wouldn't open all the way, or close all the way. Before I bought an Ultrasonic cleaner, I thought, "What the He11, they were only a couple of dollars each" sold as broken/parts razors. They looked bad too, scum and buildup everywhere. I put them in a pot of boiling water, with Palmolive dish soap, and boiled them for 5 minutes, then let them slowly cool down. They work like new again, and look great, except for a few scratches .

I did the hot water thing last night and it's still loose. When I shave with it the door does get stuck after I try to open it too take out the blade. I have to move it around to make the door open again.

How do I de-spine a blade because that might work better?

To de-spine a Gem blade, I hold the cardboard and then use end nippers to grab the spine and pull. You can use vice grips too. Just don't pinch the blade while grabbing the spine. There's a video on Youtube that shows how.

Sorry to bump an old thread (didn't want to make a new one) but can someone send me a old de-spined blade?

I don't have the tools to do it.

Put it on a flat surface and slip a thin screwdriver into the crease to prise the spine apart. No screwdriver? Butter knife? Fork? Corkscrew? Once prised at each end it will drop off ...

Top Bottom