What's new

APS-C Cropping

I need some help. I read some and need to now if i buy a Maxxum Lens by Minolt for my Sony SLT A33. What will be the focal length ie will it crop and the field of view be different than the lens says. And is there any suggestions as to which lens to lean to to supplement the kit lens. I was thinking 100-300 "The Beer Can" maybe?

thanks

Crop factor of 1.5 on APS-C. So 100-300 would be 150-450. I cant give any suggestions since I've never shot Sony lenses.

No matter what platform you go with everything is pretty much the same. Except there are small differences in the features and button placement, menus etc. Blary54 is correct about the crop factor. Most digital SLR cameras are about 1.4-1.6 crop factor. What lens you supplement the kit lens with depends on what you are going to be taking pictures of. Macro, portrait, sports/action, long distance etc. You would be better off asking a more specific question on a web forum that caters to that brand of camera gear. Hope I helped.

Which forum would you suggest, I have looked at two, but would like to have a suggestion.

There are plenty of knowledgeable folks here. Any decision as to which lens to purchase should be based upon what you plan on shooting with it... if you are looking for a longer tele-zoom then 100-300 on a crop camera provides plenty of reach. Are you planning on shooting wildlife, birds?

I am sure there are a lot of people here that are well versed in photography. My comment about going to a site specific to the camera and lens was geared to the gear, not the technique. I shot Pentax. Anyone outside of Pentax land probably does not know that the 31mm 1.7 Pentax is one of the most wonderful lenses ever made. At $700-900 it should be. DPPREVIEW.com is a good resource. It has sub forums for all kinds of things. I had a Sigma 70mm 2.8 ex dg that was reviewed to be the best macro lens available. It is $450 Again it depends on what you are doing with the lens.

The a33 is a good body but getting a little long in tooth. As you shop for lenses, give some consideration whether you might trade up at some time, to a full frame body.

This is true in time, but this one seems to have got stuck in time. It appears to have only 600 actuation on it. I really stayed in the research yesterday letting a NOS BIN gem 35-105 Maxxum slip through, but there will be another.
$a33.jpg

Top Bottom