What's new

Greetings and Japanese Feather Question

Hello all! Just discovered your wonderful site and have recently taken the plunge myself into the wild world of wetshaving. I hope to learn from the many razor gurus on this site. :biggrin:

I have a question concerning Feather blades available here in Japan. I am a complete beginner and I've been reading about Feathers being not the best blades to start out on. Unfortunately all I can find in the shops around my place are two types of Feather blades. My question (and this may be hard to answer) is do you think that these are the same as the Feathers you guys are able to get and often talk about? The packaging looks totally different...anyone try these ones before? Anyone know if they're the same blades with different packaging? Perhaps the only way to find out is to try them eh but I'm a bit hesitatant about cutting my newbie face to ribbons with their shuriken sharpness. (I also posted this in the "Safety Razor" section - hope that's ok)

These ones say "Feather High Stainless"

proxy.php

These ones say "Feather S"

proxy.php

Even if they are the "infamous feathers" you could still use them as your first blade. Just take it slow, easy with the pressure and you'll be fine. i got the same nicks and cuts as any other blade. they are a little less forgiving then a derby, but not to the point of fear. try them out.

I'm not 100% sure if the 'Feather Hi-Stainless" you have are the same as the ones we have. I'm not sure what Feather-S are.. perhaps just stainless without the "Hi" :biggrin:

As previously stated, Feather blades are very sharp but should not instill fear in anyone. It simply requires added care and attention to detail. If you nick yourself, you're likely to feel it less with the Feather.

Welcome to B&B, glad to have you with us. I've tried the feathers in a sampler, they're definitely sharp but you don't have to worry about accidentally lopping your head off... :w00t:

As mentioned earlier just be careful, and take it s-l-o-w especially the first time! :biggrin:

Top Bottom