What's new

I fought a bloody battle today.my first ever straight shave

I wouldn't say straights are easier. The technique is the same. I believe that the straight is more forgiving. Those DE blades are just so sharp.

Chances are that the 66 isnt shave ready so you would have to have someone make it shave ready. You could get by with a strop and some crox on some balsa. I wonder if Buca (a hobbiest on here) ships to India? He has a who starter kit that has everything.

But keep in mind that a lot of folks do master the DE blade shavette and get great shaves.

For what it's worth I find the Kami-style shavette easier and the straight more forgiving - provided it's not me sharpening it. :)

Check the hobbyist vendor classifieds on the B&B forum. Your looking for the user name of buca. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ights-and-strop-sets!-DEALS-Asano-nagura-sets

You can also get a shave ready used razor and strop from vendor larry at whipped dog. http://whippeddog.com

If you go the straight razor route instead of shavettes; Your going to need a strop, honing stones, or lapping film to maintain the edge on your razors. Search for lapping film videos on youtube. If you purchase a couple of shave ready Gold Dollar razors from buca. You can keep them shave ready for a long time with just a leather and canvas strop.

Mistake #4: Buying a straight with ANY consideration toward economy
RAD is not a joke:
You will want vintage ones because they don't make 'em like they used to.
You will want new ones to see what the difference is.
You will want a quality new one because, hey, they're better.
You will want to compare manufacturers so you'll need a Henckels, then a Thiers, then a Boker, then a Dovo, etc ad nauseum
You will need to get a strop. (we all need a strop or two)
Synthetic hones of course. (because, hey, it cost $20 to send it out and you'll save money)
Strop compound/paste. (gotta get rid of that last bit of pull)
Better synthetic hones. (need to get to HHT4)
Better strop to complement your hones. (need to get to HHT5)
Lapping film. (see above)
microscope. (because:
- why are you still getting a nick from an HHT4 edge
- why can't you get this edge set on this new 'shave ready' DOVO
- oh cool! didn't know a fingernail looked like that at 400X!!!)
CNAT. enough said
JNAT. ...well, not quite enough
grinder, buffer, pins, washers, polish, hammers, vises.
- (These will save you money because of all the restorations you will complete and sell)
Cases to display your restorations that you couldn't bear to sell.

ok, now on to the balms you'll need until you figured out honing and got your technique down...

run away. to Wal Mart. to buy an electric razor.
By the time you're done you will have spent enough to put a down payment on a car.

Last edited:
mistake #4: Buying a straight with any consideration toward economy
rad is not a joke:
You will want vintage ones because they don't make 'em like they used to.
You will want new ones to see what the difference is.
You will want a quality new one because, hey, they're better.
You will want to compare manufacturers so you'll need a henckels, then a thiers, then a boker, then a dovo, etc ad nauseum
you will need to get a strop. (we all need a strop or two)
synthetic hones of course. (because, hey, it cost $20 to send it out and you'll save money)
strop compound/paste. (gotta get rid of that last bit of pull)
better synthetic hones. (need to get to hht4)
better strop to complement your hones. (need to get to hht5)
lapping film. (see above)
microscope. (because:
- why are you still getting a nick from an hht4 edge
- why can't you get this edge set on this new 'shave ready' dovo
- oh cool! Didn't know a fingernail looked like that at 400x!!!)
cnat. Enough said
jnat. ...well, not quite enough
grinder, buffer, pins, washers, polish, hammers, vises.
- (these will save you money because of all the restorations you will complete and sell)
cases to display your restorations that you couldn't bear to sell.

Ok, now on to the balms you'll need until you figured out honing and got your technique down...

Run away. To wal mart. To buy an electric razor.
By the time you're done you will have spent enough to put a down payment on a car.

this ^^

Be sure to use an alum block if you're not already. Tightens nicks up nicely so there is no scabbing. Usually can barely see nicks after using the alum block.

That's the truth! Way better than pre-alum block days for me though when they were also very visible to everyone. :) Thanks for the welcome!

Well, thanks everyone for the responses. There is a sort of an update -

After about two weeks, today I took the shavette out again to attack a 75 hour growth which had been well softened beforehand by a shower and some ahampoo.

I can safely say that it was much less bloody than the previous time, but there were still visible nicks and weepers at places. I started with sideburns (I always start there for WTG), and the razor felt ultra smooth. However, on the other parts of the face and under the chin, it was very awkward (again) to hold the razor with correct angle, and that resulted in the wounds.

It's actually just two things - correct angle (which is a shallow angle for me), and zero pressure. I could get both on some parts of my face, but would miss out on either one on the others due to the awkwardness.

There was a ton of alum sting after the shave, but I must say that the shave itself was very close - fantastic on most part in just two passes.

Guru, it takes some time before you don't feel awkward. Definitely way more time than it takes for a DE. You may also find that a 24 hour beard is a little easier to manage - although a straight would be my choice at this point for a longer beard if I had to.

Less blood is good! :thumbup1:

Thanks Lee. Yeah, it definitely will take a lot of practice. Maybe I should give it a go more often, like once or even twice a week.

As for the growth, it definitely felt better at mowing down the whiskers than a DE on the first pass.:thumbup1:

I thought I should update this thread now. I had almost put the shavette aside after the last post, only using it once every two weeks or so. However, during the past couple of months, I have been using it more often, and the more frequent use has in fact improved my technique to a large extent.

I have now got a much better hang of the various grips and the angle that goes along with them, and as a result, get bloodless shaves. And the smooth feeling is unparalleled. So much so, that for the entire last week, I used the shavette exclusively even for daily shaves. Two passes still don't give me a true BBS, but it's pretty close.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Everything takes time. At least you're loading the blade without shedding any red stuff now. :tongue_sm

Congratulations!

I let a BBS happen if it's going to. If it does not, chasing it will result in pain. You've started down a very satisfying road.

Cheers guys.

It is satisfying indeed - so much so that I find myself reaching for the shavette invariably these days.

Good work staying with the SR path. An Alum block can be a life saver in the beginning to sooth the various nicks until you get a good enough hang of things to not need it that much. I have been just opposite of what you are doing and using a SR for almost 7 months and switched to DE for the last week and am relearning another type of shaving...while missing the comfort of the technique I already learned and the ability for a good, close shave to last what seems like f o r e v e r....however RAD seems to lurk behind every new form of shaving. Just completed a good enough collection of SR and trying to harness the beast of all the beautiful DE razors on the market....beware the beast of RAD. ;o) Good luck with the journey!

Top Bottom