What's new

having bad luck with my straight

So Im having a really hard time shaving with my new straight razor. being one handed it sure makes it harder and the left side of my face seems even harder to shave Ive watched a few Videos Im pretty sure Im doing everything right or maybe not I need a straight razor class I guess. I finally had to use the de to keep from getting razor burn.

also the scales seem to block my view at times

Totally normal what you're going through. At the beginning it would bother me that unlike shaving with a DE I couldn't see the straight razor blade at all times; eventually I had to accept it and go by feel when shaving some areas. After a few months things improved and I could see more by figuring out all the angles. For some of us some DE lessons need to be forgotten. At this stage it might help to focus on simple North to South and South to North passes. For me XTG was difficult causing uncomfortable shaves.

Last edited:
Got the razor today, it did not have a shave ready edge. I could see why it was such a rough shave

this website is filled with good, honest and most generous folks.
their information, advice and offers to help other members is boundless.

I have always shaved one-handed. It took me a year of shaving 2x per week to get a shave that didn't necessitate Alum. No razor burn. Until my blade went dull. Biggest thing is having a sharp blade, face prep and angle. 2 spines off the face and you should be good. The under side of the chin is the hardest to get used to, but it's also the most fun (is that possible)part to shave.

I sent over some pictures of my grips and what not. Please let me know if you have questions. I've been shaving with no stretching, to hopefully gain some more experience. That way I can hopefully give some more advice.

Any chance of getting those posted here, for those of us (me) who just can't seem to figure it out?

thanks[emoji106]
Of course, I don't claim to be am expert. But I've always used one hand. Here they are taken on my first pass:
$uploadfromtaptalk1409086471118.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1409086479928.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1409086486807.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1409086497497.jpg

Top Bottom