What's new

Nikon D5200

So I'm the proud owner of a new (refurb'd actually) Nikon D5200. I had an old 35mm Nikon (I believe it was an N6006) that I bought when my daughter was born 18 years ago I used it for about 10 years until I went all digital. Since then I've had various (mostly Canon) point and shoot digitals. I wanted to get another good quality SLR and after doing some poking around of reviews and talking with photo-knowledgeable acquaintances, the 5200 seemed like a good mix of bang and buck. Plus I know several other people with Nikons whom I can borrow fancy lenses from. The camera came with the 18-55 kit lens and a friend has a 18-105 lens he's going to let me borrow indefinitely.

I intend to learn how to use it in more than just Auto mode. At one time I had an amateur's knowledge of using some of the non-auto features on my old SLR. I'd like to learn again.

So, B&B photogs, where do I start? What are some resources (free or inexpensive) to re-learn some of that knowledge? What inexpensive starter equipment would be good?

Congrats!

First things first, your old Nikkor lenses will not auto focus on that body, even if they are auto focus lenses. That camera does not have the focus motor in the body, it relies on AF-S lenses with the focus motor in the lens itself. Metering, aperture and everything else will work but will have to be manual focus.

Basic operation use Program mode "P" it's like auto but let's you adjust settings. Aperture priority "A" let's you choose the aperture you want but selects the correct shutter speed, and Shutter priority "S" allows you to choose shutter and it selects correct aperture.

First thing I would read up on is shooting in "P" and using exposure compensation. This will give you some control over the image without heading blind into the forest of full manual control.

I have more info but I'm at work and will add it later.

Just remember, if you see something interesting shoot it!

Congrats!
Lesson 1 is learning how the autofocus points work.
Lesson 2 is learning exposure compensation.
master those!
post some pix!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
We all learn in different ways. When I purchased my D5100 I decided to jump start a bit by buying the Creative Live introduction to the 5100 presented by John Greengo. It helped me get up to speed on the controls. The art part . . . well it has been a 40 year journey, I take some pictures I like. I pretty much do this for my own appreciation.

strop

Now half as wise
Story sounds familiar. Had a Nikon FE and FM many years ago. Sold them when digital really was getting going, as I hadn't really had time for photography in years. Fast forward to a couple of years ago. Wanted to take my dSLR off auto. I found a class at a local college in basic photography and a second in intermediate. One night a week for 12 weeks. Only 8 of us so lots of hands on, instant feedback and a field trip. Best $150 I spent getting back into things.

Thanks for the advice guys! I think the Creative Live videos and/or a local comm college class are great ideas.

Here's a pic I took yesterday. I've shot a couple hundred photos so far. I'm starting to get the impression that while great pictures take some work, it's almost impossible to take a an actually bad picture with this camera!

Attachments

• $tiber face.jpg
    $tiber face.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 43
A tip that I figured out with shooting closeups of dogs, use a faster shutter speed or higher iso to really capture a steady image. The coarse hairs on their faces really show the smallest amount of camera shake or movement. Get the shutter speed higher in value than your focal length, at the minimum. Usually double will net better results. Unless it is a well mannered dog in a studio that sits still, but then you might be on a tripod anyways. I.e. using a 105mm lens shoot at 1/125sec minimum but 1/250sec would be better.

I can post an example if you like.

Also, since you mentioned getting out of auto, read and study the "Sunny 16" rule. Take a day and put the camera into full manual mode and try it out. You will be surprised how quick you pick it up. Also, try using a hand held light meter (beecam light meter app for android is a good free one) to help you judge light conditions. Pick a scene and guess, then meter it to see how close you were, then shoot it and adjust to your liking.

Happy shooting!

Last edited:
Great camera! I have a D5100 (soon to get a D7100).
Definitely work in P or A mode. Also consider getting a prime lens. I have the 35mm 1.835mm f/1.8 that is awesome in low light.

Congrats!! enjoy

Top Bottom