What's new

Sensitivity/Razor Burn on Under-chin and Neck

Hello all,

I've been having some trouble in the last couple of weeks with incredible sensitivity under my chin and around the throat area, including what feels like (but doesn't really look like) razor burn, as well as pimples, blackheads and the occasional ingrown hair. I recently changed from Bump Patrol shave gel (I didn't really care for it, but Target didn't carry C.O. Bigelow which is what I used before and liked best) back to a Williams puck. I'm wondering if the difference in products is what's causing my irritation.

I also don't have a preshave oil that I use. I've been meaning to go out and buy one but just haven't had the time or the money meeting up at the right place. :blush: I figure that will probably help, but I'm flummoxed since the problem I'm having is literally only below the jaw line. Any advice or insights are appreciated.

Kent

"Below the jaw line" is really where most of us who get irritation (or razorburn) get it. The skin is thinner and more sensitive, and we have some folds to stretch out. I don't find pre-shave oils help me, but some people swear by them. My own solution consisted of finding a razor and blade combo I got along with, and finding a really protrective shaving soap (for me, Mike's or Strop Shoppe special editions just do the trick). I can get away with less great lathers (i.e., even with cheaper soaps) with a milder razor, but prefer a really good one. And maybe a tad more important than the "right" soap for me was just good prep. Shaving after a shower is pretty much unmatched for me -- I can't get the same effect with a two-minute hot towel treatment or some such.

Finally - beard mapping. If you can really go only with the grain for a pass or two, and maybe if that goes well, across the grain for a pass, stop there. You won't get "baby butt smooth" like you can on your cheeks, but you may well get a damn fine shave, where no whiskers are visible, anyway. Then you just have to stop rubbing against the grain to bum yourself out because it "should be" better!

Welcome, thanks for your service, I hope something said here was helpful, or something someone says will be!

"Below the jaw line" is really where most of us who get irritation (or razorburn) get it. The skin is thinner and more sensitive, and we have some folds to stretch out. I don't find pre-shave oils help me, but some people swear by them. My own solution consisted of finding a razor and blade combo I got along with, and finding a really protrective shaving soap (for me, Mike's or Strop Shoppe special editions just do the trick). I can get away with less great lathers (i.e., even with cheaper soaps) with a milder razor, but prefer a really good one. And maybe a tad more important than the "right" soap for me was just good prep. Shaving after a shower is pretty much unmatched for me -- I can't get the same effect with a two-minute hot towel treatment or some such.

Finally - beard mapping. If you can really go only with the grain for a pass or two, and maybe if that goes well, across the grain for a pass, stop there. You won't get "baby butt smooth" like you can on your cheeks, but you may well get a damn fine shave, where no whiskers are visible, anyway. Then you just have to stop rubbing against the grain to bum yourself out because it "should be" better!

Welcome, thanks for your service, I hope something said here was helpful, or something someone says will be!

couldn't agree more.
try also to use a soothing cream before you go to bed like Avene Xera Calm AD

I'm in the same boat, only 3 shaves in but getting close shaves but with razor burn. I'm reading all these threads trying to pick up some help.
Last night I stopped shaving earlier than first couple of attempts and was very careful with angles and pressure. The results were a worse shave but less burn. I went out and bought Prosaro White pre-shave today and feels good on the face even without a shave.
From another thread I picked up the word patience, I think I'll need to practice this why I learn the techniques.

Hello all,

I've been having some trouble in the last couple of weeks with incredible sensitivity under my chin and around the throat area, including what feels like (but doesn't really look like) razor burn, as well as pimples, blackheads and the occasional ingrown hair. I recently changed from Bump Patrol shave gel (I didn't really care for it, but Target didn't carry C.O. Bigelow which is what I used before and liked best) back to a Williams puck. I'm wondering if the difference in products is what's causing my irritation.

I also don't have a preshave oil that I use. I've been meaning to go out and buy one but just haven't had the time or the money meeting up at the right place. :blush: I figure that will probably help, but I'm flummoxed since the problem I'm having is literally only below the jaw line. Any advice or insights are appreciated.

Kent

Thank you for your service. Kent did you have this issue before? If not then it's the
cheap cream. Stick with the Bigelowe.

Thank you for your service. Kent did you have this issue before? If not then it's the
cheap cream. Stick with the Bigelowe.

I've had problems with my under-chin area basically since I began shaving, but it was less prevalent with the Bigelow. I think I'm going to switch back as soon as possible, even if that means going online to buy.

Kent

I've had problems with my under-chin area basically since I began shaving, but it was less prevalent with the Bigelow. I think I'm going to switch back as soon as possible, even if that means going online to buy.

Kent

Try a little stretching, that's what I do.light pressure.

Same problem here. I find that the grain runs sort of SW to NE on the right side under the chin, and that's the trickiest bit. However, I can angle the razor and take short strokes in the opposite direction and that works well, but not as BBS as the rest. Pre-shave oil does help significantly, and I think I'll use it more often. Plus, stretching like the last comment.

I've actually found that stretching makes the sensitivity worse for some reason. Probably too much pressure, combined with my multi-blade monstrosity. I can't wait til I get to my next station (I'm leaving in <1 month) so I can change up my routine and focus on new techniques.

Kent

Switch blades. I had pretty terrible irritation with Gillete Dark Platinum, Wilkinson Sword was better but still very bad, and once I stumbled on BIC Chrome Platine blades irritation reduced extremely. And once I switched to Nivea Sensitive Cream I got really smooth shaves even on neck. I can shave my face with a chainsaw without lather, no problems but neck is troubling. Anyways, reduce pressure, just let the blade drag over skin, and make multiple passes if necessary, following the grain. It's all about learning on mistakes.

Kent,
Bigelow/Proraso is a pretty good and protective cream, so it makes sense that it woudl give better results than Williams ( which is a notoriously finicky latherer). One thing you might try until you are able to get better products is a superlather. Lather up your brush with the williams, then add a little of that less than great cream to your bowl, and lather up again. The soap+ cream mix often will generate a richer, more protective lather. Also, Target ( and quite a few places) carry Vanderhagen Deluxe soap, which lathers a bit more easily than Williams.

Managed to get nice shave on neck, without irritation. I achieved this by almost eliminating any pressure on razor, stretching the skin gently and lathering 3 times and 3 passes. Key definetly is to keep trying different stuff until eventually you find perfection

Managed to get nice shave on neck, without irritation. I achieved this by almost eliminating any pressure on razor, stretching the skin gently and lathering 3 times and 3 passes. Key definetly is to keep trying different stuff until eventually you find perfection

Different stuff or technique?

Kent: Welcome to B&B, thanks for serving, and hoo-rah to a BUFF fan (I was in the 20th BS at Barksdale for a bit). Also thanks for asking the exact same question that's been on my mind as well. It's always nice to hear that other individuals are meeting similar challenges. If you decide that you want to go with a shave oil, I've had some recent luck with Kiehls. It's not cheap, but it's also not as expensive as a lot of other brands and has an exceptional quality. I find their products to be the best value (product is very high quality without being ridiculously expensive).

Everyone Else: Thanks for all the advice and the video post!

Top Bottom