What's new

new Lodge Cast Iron pan rough surface

After moving across country I found that somehow all my grandmothers Wagner cast iron pans didn't make the trip. needless to say I was devastated she had a whole collection of all sizes that I received after her passing. My wife went out and bought me a new Lodge pan and though it was a very nice gesture the pan was as rough as anything i've ever seen. I tried cooking in it for quite some time and it just never got any better. So out came the sander and took it to task. Now it works great. The End!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Sanding the pan should not hurt it one bit- start with 80grit and work up to 220 or so, I sanded a steel pan once to 1200 grit almost a mirror thinking that it would be terrific.... I could not get even the seasoning to stick to it so I backed it down to 600 and all is well. I have seen some of those pans in the store and am horrified at what they are putting out.

A whole mess of folk would pay a few rasbucknicks extra to have that machined finish they commonly used to put on cast iron. It would not be a cure all as it would still need proper seasoning . . . but it would make for a far better base than is commonly available in new cast iron.

I've got some of my grandmother's cast iron . . . great stuff. Some of it is a bit more warped than I like to use on a glass stove top. Hence my desire for new cast iron.

Hi.
Even at my 'advanced' age, I came to cast iron late, even though, as a young boy, my father taught me to cook breakfast in a 6-inch CI pan.
That 'roughness' was by design, as admitted by a Lodge person in a YouTube video, so that their 'pre-seasoning' would take hold, and give the cook a base for that historic cast iron nonstick buildup.
I have no knowledge of Wagner or other pans, except what I have read.
I have heard of a line of nickel-plated CI pans, but they are not very inexpensive, but, if they intrigue you, my blessings.
I own a 10-inch skillet, a 10-inch chef pan, and a 10-inch 'flat pan'.
My electric stove burners will meet the bottom of one 10-inch skillet.
It was suggested by a Lodge customer service, of late, that when finished cleaning and dryiong the pan, after allowing the pan to warm and further dry, to use one of those 'Pam-style' cooking sprays to apply a light coat, before putting the pan away.
I do have tri-ply fry pans, too, but I go to my cast iron pans, more.

I wish yiou well with your pan.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hey Mick, I noticed that the sanding (of course) takes off the paint. What do you use to reblacken it?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have used the large pan a few times now and there are a few spots that catch on the spatula. This is just too annoying for me, so are going to sand it today. Gave it a good wash and scrub, then sprayed some oven cleaner on it last night and left it to soak. Plan is to sand 40 then 80 grit and see how that looks.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Cleaned inside only. I can now see the spots it was catching on the spatula. This is the best I can do with a photo as I only have my cell phone.
Just letting it cool down as I heated it up to remove all water. Time to sand.

$20140823_090817.jpg$20140823_090830.jpg

Hey Mick, I noticed that the sanding (of course) takes off the paint. What do you use to reblacken it?
It's not paint, It's polymerized fat called seasoning.

This is the seasoning method I use almost. I use lard. As well when sanding (especially newer cast iron) It will not be totaly black for quite some time even after several layers. It takes lots of cooking to really get it done. But will still work fine and only get better over time and use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Tz3HnnCFs&index=7&list=FL7op6ehbwE6QVgkJGGm9-MQ

All of my cast iron pans are made by Lodge and have been sanded smooth with 220 grit sandpaper inside and out and then reseasoned. I've had mine since 1999 and mainly used them for camping until I got married in 2002. Now they are used for both home use and outdoors use except my dutch oven I have no use for it at home. My cast Iron is the best nonstick cookware I have ever used and unlike aluminum and teflon won't leach nasty stuff into my food.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It's not paint, It's polymerized fat called seasoning.

This is the seasoning method I use almost. I use lard. As well when sanding (especially newer cast iron) It will not be totaly black for quite some time even after several layers. It takes lots of cooking to really get it done. But will still work fine and only get better over time and use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Tz3HnnCFs&index=7&list=FL7op6ehbwE6QVgkJGGm9-MQ
Thanks, Mick. I am probably going to sand my 6 inch down, as nothing else seems to be working. It is a lot rougher than my 10 inch, 12 inch, and Dutch Oven.

Lodge should offer a premium line that is milled like the old ones. I have an old one notch Lodge that is as smooth as any other I have came across

There is a Piggly Wiggly store here that has a small wholesale restaurant supply in thee back of the store. They have some cast iron pans that make Lodge look like Griswolds. These things are BAD!!!!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Sorry, wishful thinking on my part Rick. I first read this as Lodge offering premium pans. Friday, tired, what can I say.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Sanding was a PIA. I sanded with 40 grit then 80 and left it there. The peaks are gone but now a bit of pitting can be seen. That's all good with me as the aim was to get rid of the sandpaper fell to the pan.
It is in the oven now getting its first coat of seasoning.

$20140823_122001.jpg$20140823_122006.jpg

Top Bottom