What's new

First Straight Razor "Germania Cutlery Works"

Ok, I've been shaving with a cheap shavette for a few months, and I wanted to upgrade to a real blade. After shopping around a little, I came across this razor. The pics aren't great, so I can't be sure that there aren't any cracks or other damage to the blade, but for $20 for a german steel blade, I thought it was worth a gamble. It was shipped today, and I should have it in a couple days. I can't wait to get it and break out my dremel and polishing compound. There were a couple other pictures that I can't find now, but they showed the scales, which appeared to be in pretty good shape. Just for the fun of it I was thinking about making some wooden scales for it, but after parusing the hobby section here, I'm tempted by the simplicity of the PVC scales, but if the scales are in good shape I may just clean them up a little. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'll post better pics when the razor arrives, and more as I go. Below is what the seller sent me.
View attachment 483698View attachment 483699View attachment 483700View attachment 483701

Found the other photos:
$razor5.jpg$razor6.jpg$razor7.jpg

Got the razor in today. It looks to be in really good shape. There are a few small rust marks, but nothing major. The only hitch is that there is a tiny notch in the blade. It shouldn't be a problem to get rid of, but it's probably enough to convince me to send it to someone who knows what they're doing to get it out and set the bevel. $uploadfromtaptalk1408235646235.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1408235659783.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1408235668763.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1408235692630.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1408235728070.jpg

Nice blade! There doesn't look to be any need for new scales, but "need" seldom enters into the straight razor equation.

So, I polished it up. It still has some visible blemishes, and it isn't exactly a mirror finish, but I think it's as far as I'm going with it for now. I took it to see kn4wd, and he put a nice edge on it. He also suggested that I take the blade out of my shavette, and practice the angle with it. If I get brave enough, I might actually try to shave with my now shave ready straight razor tonight.

Just thought I'd give y'all an update. I have shaved 4 times so far with it, and it seems to work well. It does seem to pull a little bit, but I suspect once I get a little better with my technique and maintaining the proper angle that will get better. Definitely worth the investment.

Like an idiot, I dropped my razor. I broke the scales, and the edge of the blade hit my hardwood floor just hard enough to roll the edge. I put what I believe to be chromium oxide(green polishing compound) on a strip of leather and stopped with it hoping to smooth the edge, but it wasn't enough. My sister went on a trip to Arkansas and brought me back a stone that is supposedly a black hard Arkansas (1200+ grit), and I was able to smooth the edge back out with it, but I think I need to get something finer to get it shave ready again. I started to try it out and quickly switched back to my shavette.

did you repair the scales? I have some made from hard plastic, a pair of red and light gray ones I think. as far as honing I have a new apache strata that works amazingly fast and super fine edge. if you need help just yell. glad to help out a fellow shaver.

Not yet. I've been working 15 hour days this week, so I haven't done much else. I was thinking about carving some scales out of wood. I'm more concerned about pinning them. I've watched a couple videos online, and think I could give it a try, but I'll have to find the time.

I know it's been a while, but I finally got around to fixing the scales. I ordered some from whipped dog, and got a strop along with it. I've also done some work on my stones, but I can't seem to get a shavable edge. I worked the sb for a while with a hatchet blade, and then moved to a pocketknife, and finally the razor (after working it on the medium and then the fine). I may just not have put enough time into it, but I can't seem to get it there. I can shave with it (sort of) but it pulls too much to be worth it. On the bright side, my wife got me what I take to be really nice shaving cream for Christmas. Anybody have any experience with this stuff?

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1419558930213.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1419558930213.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 64
I can offer to rehone it for you. I have the apache finishers now. they leave an exceptional edge. also I have a purple slate that leaves a fine crisp shave. I got myself a strop from tony miller and the wife got me a greaves 7/8 or 15/16,and a Damascus 8/8, haven't measured the greaves yet its been on the stones. maiden shave tomorrow the Damascus custom was todays shave. I plan on ivory for the Damascus and black horn for the greaves. she had my daughter locate the greaves on the bay and I was surprised in two ways, one was she finally bought me a straight, well two and two she actually picked a good one off the bay.

Top Bottom