What's new

My new breakfast indulgence.

Well, get on it man :001_smile

I'm currently in the middle of building something else mess hall related ( I'll start a thread when I finish it ) but I might just try a Sous Vide build, at some point. I've seen some pretty ingenious builds, on the cheap, that look fun. :thumbup:

Sometimes (rarely) I will add some creme fraiche after the eggs are off the heat.

I don't add any water, milk, or creme to my eggs before cooking. I've found that a vigorous whisking then right into the pan works best for me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm currently in the middle of building something else mess hall related ( I'll start a thread when I finish it ) but I might just try a Sous Vide build, at some point. I've seen some pretty ingenious builds, on the cheap, that look fun. :thumbup:

Can't wait for the pics- we have some handy guys here.

I picked up a pint of Organic Heavy Cream at Trader Joe's yesterday. I normally don't go for orgranic products, but the expiration date on this was about a month later than the regular, and it was only 20cents more.

I tried it for the first time this morning. Added it to my instant coffee and the taste was different than using whole milk. Not better, not worse, just different.

But just now I tried it in my Canadian Toast recipe (as described below) and HOLY MOLY! I could tell something was up as soon as I added it to the beaten eggs and started whipping them. The mixture was much lighter and produced more volume, and unlike whole milk, it didn't separate into layers after it sat for a minute while waiting for the toast to finish.

Today I used Sourdough Multigrain bread, also from TJ's, and I diced it up and put it into the batter, smooshed it in and let it sit for about 3 minutes for the toast to get saturated.

Then I put it in the skillet, and it seemed to cook a lot faster than with whole milk. I gave it my normal 1 minute and stir, 1 minute and stir, 1 minute and stir, and then I poured it off into a bowl and put on a generous glop of sour cream.

I'm only half-way through the bowl right now, and I'm full. No more appetite. I'll have to force down the rest of the breakfast, but its so delicious I"m not complaining.

I'm not sure if its the heavy cream or the Sourdough bread that is making this so delicious and so filling. I only get Sourdough when I go to TJs, so when this loaf runs out I'll try it with regular multi-grain white bread and see how that works.

Thanks for this tip! My kitchen will never be without Heavy Cream again.

I didn't know you could make them any other way. I've been making scrambled eggs since I was a kid and always added cream (or milk if there was no cream). I usually mix it up and add things like lemon/pepper seasoning, thyme, small diced bacon or cheddar.

Americas test kitchen recommends this along with an extra yolk. The science has to do with with the extra fats denaturing the proteins and keeping them from bonding into long strands. Blah blah. Making the eggs silken and not chewy and rubbery.

Sour cream as well as cream cheese work terrific in eggs if you don't have heavy cream available.

I used to be a chef for Gordon Ramsay. Scrambled Eggs were under a microscope there, you can imagine.

My sous chefs insisted I start with unmelted butter and the raw egg IN the non stick pot, all the mixing and light stirring done in the pot to ensure you don't break the curds.

The finishing touch was the milk/creme to ensure the richness and moisture of the egg, of which the moisture was cooked out. This is how you cook an egg hard but make it have a silky texture.

Last edited:
I've added heavy cream to my grocery shopping list. I'll pick some up when I go to the store today or tomorrow.

My latest breakfast indulgence has been Canadian Toast, a recipe I invented a few years ago but haven't used in a while. Same ingredients as French Toast, but I toast the bread beforehand, dice up the toast into half-inch cubes, then submerge them in batter and let them soak for 5 or 10 minutes. Finish it off as if you were making scrambled eggs.

I can make this in large batches, 6 eggs and 6 slices of bread, and the leftovers will keep for about 3 days and I just need to heat them up in a microwave. Top it off with sour cream or applesauce, and maybe a drizzle of Sriracha sauce. MMMM, mmm, good!

The flavor profiles your leaning towards ---

Try a "citrus" French toast I stole from a chef a while back.

Prepare your batter exactly as you like, except add the grated zest of oranges and lemons.

I normally don't have breakfast but yesterday my wife prepared scrambled eggs and added a little bit of Neufchatel cheese to the eggs. The result was outstanding.

How does this differ from traditional US style sour cream?

I use Creme Fraiche because it has a lower fat content than regular cream but without the 'tang' of sour cream.

I copied this from a nutrition website:
"Sour cream has a fat content of about 20% and may include ingredients like gelatin, rennin, and vegetable enzymes to stabilize it and make it thicker. Crème fraîche has a fat content of about 30% and does not contain any added thickeners. Crème fraîche is thicker, has a richer flavor, and is less tangy than sour cream."

This is the way I do my eggs (great with a little smoked salmon in it too):

Last edited by a moderator:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Chives are nice. Much more than that and I'm going for frittata or omelette. I still enjoy dipping an edge of hot buttered toast into a pair of fried eggs over easy. Or . . dipping a edge of 12 grain bagel that has been smeared with chive and onion cream cheese.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Chives are nice. Much more than that and I'm going for frittata or omelette. I still enjoy dipping an edge of hot buttered toast into a pair of fried eggs over easy. Or . . dipping a edge of 12 grain bagel that has been smeared with chive and onion cream cheese.
I may do eggs over easy tomorrow- it has been a while.

I use Creme Fraiche because it has a lower fat content than regular cream but without the 'tang' of sour cream.

I copied this from a nutrition website:
"Sour cream has a fat content of about 20% and may include ingredients like gelatin, rennin, and vegetable enzymes to stabilize it and make it thicker. Crème fraîche has a fat content of about 30% and does not contain any added thickeners. Crème fraîche is thicker, has a richer flavor, and is less tangy than sour cream."

This is the way I do my eggs (great with a little smoked salmon in it too):

It tends to be less likely to split in a sauce (or eggs) I find and it has a more subtle flavour than sour cream. I wouldn't put it in a Stroganoff for instance, it needs the sour cream tang. Also you can use creme fraiche on a dessert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom