What's new

Yet Another New Guy

Howdy folks. This is Rage coming to you from the Wilmington area of good ol' North Carolina. I've decided to take the plunge and get back into shaving like a real man again, but doing it right this time.

On this last point, I've already started off bad. I bought this set http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LRKOGDY trying to get everything I needed in one shot. This was a mistake I have found out. Here's a light review of the items in this kit.

1. The Blades Grim "Smolder" Shave soap: this stuff is spectacular. It makes a rich lather that provides a nice buffer between skin and blade, at least compared to some of the stuff I've had before that I bought from the local drug store.

2. The GB Buckingham and Sons Strop: this thing is literally useless. Being a country boy, I know a thing or two about honing and stropping, at least with knives, and even I can tell this is a low end low quality piece of junk. It actually dulled the razor. I ended up having to use my Tony Llama belt, to great effect.

3. The Brush: I really don't know enough to say one way or the other. It did let me build a nice lather though, so it can't be too bad I guess.

4. The Blade: Like I mentioned earlier, I know a good bit about steel and especially blades in general. That being said, I know next to nothing about razors. It was sharp enough to shave with, but left non visible stubble I could feel but not really see. This may be due to technique or stropping. Hopefully I can find someone locally who will check the blade for me at a decent price. I will mention when I seen China stamped in the spine, I came close to tossing it. I wont even carry a pocket knife made in Asia, but this is all I have for the time being.

A little about my shaving experience. I taught myself to shave with a 3 dollar shavette that was little more than a handle with a long single edge razor blade. After a little patience, a lot of blood, and a scar on my chin, I finally got to where I could shave close without bleeding. This was definitely a learning experience.

Well, its back to work. Please feel free to leave advice for me. I need all I can get! I'll post more in a bit.

Read up on the geometry of a razor. The entire razor needs to be flat on the strop and hone. Unlike a knife where you can vary the bevel angle, the bevel on a razor is built in by the thickness of the spine. Around 4 to 1 width of blade to depth of spine. Seriously doubt that GD is ready for your face.

I'm in Gaffney SC and can hone it for you if you want. been shaving with straights for 44yrs there about.

Read up on the geometry of a razor. The entire razor needs to be flat on the strop and hone. Unlike a knife where you can vary the bevel angle, the bevel on a razor is built in by the thickness of the spine. Around 4 to 1 width of blade to depth of spine. Seriously doubt that GD is ready for your face.
Yeh thats where I started. I think I've watched every video on youtube about stropping a razor. I do think I would do better with a wider strop. I'm going today to a local leather guy to get a custom strop made. what's the best leather for a strop? And I agree, I think thia razor will need some time on finer hones than I have to get it ready for my face.

i use horsehide they are hard to find, so I made my own. o lot of people on the forum use the poormans strop. try an old barber close by you he may have a strop he would give or sell you. I started out with one and still have it.

Welcome to the forum! The learning curve is pretty steep sometimes but we're all here to help and answer any questions you may have. Enjoy your time here!

Welcome to the group Rednek_Rage! Good luck on your shave with your new straight edge razor. I would definitely be sure that your new razor is honed properly. You don't want to start your straight edge shaving experience with a less than sharp shave blade. As others have mentioned, there is a sharp learning curve for shaving with this type razor.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, as well as the dark side of shaving lol. For strops, I like to recommend the star shaving big daddy. They come in a couple of leather options and widths. An excellent value imo. As far as the gold dollar, even though they are made in China, the steel is quite usable. The problem is that they often need some modifications done to the shoulder and spine to hone properly. We have a ton of members that get these razors in great working order, so it can be done. Chances are, the razor that you received hasn't been modified yet. The bright side is that it did shave, and if it did without too much tugging and pulling them you are at least on the right track. If finding someone local doesn't pan out, them take a look on the hobbyist board. There are several members that offer professional honing services for a good price. Best of luck!

i use horsehide they are hard to find, so I made my own. o lot of people on the forum use the poormans strop. try an old barber close by you he may have a strop he would give or sell you. I started out with one and still have it.
I'm actually looking for a quality piece of horsehide now. I have a local leather worker who is going to make it for me, but he doesn't deal in horsehide, so I have to find the leather myself. Any suggestions? Also, what would be a good canvas material for the second half?

Welcome to B&B Rednek_Rage: I've been trying to find a horse hide strop as well. There is an individual on the world wide web auction site who made his own because he couldn't find what he wanted.

He had to purchase a large section of hide from a distributor in order to acquire the material. His horsehide strop is black. You may try contacting him and see if you could purchase a piece for your strop. Your second strop should be made from linen. Linen has a better draw than cotton. Keep us informed on your shave progression and hunt for horse hides.

Last edited:
http://horween.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/picture-2.png
Best is the shells. Best layer is Cordovan and the older the horse the better the hide. Making a good strop is a specific skill that not every leather craftsman is going to have. I have read vegetable tanning is preferred.
Thank you. This is very informative. The fella that's going to do this for me was recommended to me by a barber, who said he makes excellent strops.

Welcome! You will love this forum, I'm new to B&B also and the guys here are full of knowledge and don't mind helping you out.

Jimmy

So i really haven't had much time to post because of work, figured I'd throw out a quick update. Watched a few videos, Read a lot of articles, and broke out the green chromium. Sanded down the back side of my strop, applied a nice coating, waited 4 hours, applied another coating. After some passes over the chromium, then a slowed down stropping process, where I concentrated very hard on technique, I tried shaving again. Holy cow what a difference. Very little pulling, got me nice and smooth (except for the neck, haven't quite figured out the whole against the grain thing on the neck yet) and zero razor burn.

However, i will be sending it to @kn4wd to hone it up proper, and will be in the market for a good vintage straight as soon as I get enough info on which brands to look for. Any help on this front will be greatly appreciated!

Top Bottom