What's new

Homemade Bay Rum Aftershave

I have come across alot of recipes on the net for homemade bay rum aftershave. They list rum. My question is, is it dark rum, light rum? I have both so I guess i could make differant batches. Also what about flavored rums like malibu cocanut rum or capt. morgans spiced rum? Some list glycerin and some don't. Has anybody made their own? Care to share your recipes, thoughts and/or ideas?

This is among the many that i have found: It seems real easy. Also I had read somewhere you could add a few drops of gylcerin when the mix is finished.

4 Ounces Vodka
2 Tablespoons Jamaican Rum
2 Dried Bay Leaves
1/4 Teaspoon Allspice
1 Stick of Cinnamon, broken in pieces
Fresh Zest from a Small Orange

Combine all ingredients in a container such as a bottle or mason jar with a tightly fitting lid. Put the closed container in a dark, cool place (not in the refrigerator). After two weeks, strain mixture through several layers of cheesecloth, paper towels or a coffee filter. If necessary, repeat until no residue remains. Put in an attractive bottle or atomizer and splash on or spray face after shaving.

fresh bay leaves would probably yield more oil and be a better scent....

guess what I'm doing this weekend :)

Please let us know how it works. I'm wondering if a quick boil to cut the alcohol down would help?

In theory since this is basically an herbal tincture you could bring to a just under a boil after straining the items to burn off some of the alcohol. It shouldn't change the overall scent too terribly much. Also, the fresh bay leaves would introduce water to this mixture. The only liquid in that recipe seems to be the alcohol. I am not sure how it would effect the overall mix. Good luck with the project I am curious to see how it goes.

I also found a bottle of Barcadi Vanilla rum in my stash. I am just going to have to experiment and make a few differant ones.

I am pretty sure the Bay Oil is not the same as from bay leaves in the spice rack(laurus nobilis), but bay rum leaves called pimento racemosa.

Absolutely right. Stick your Bay leaves back in your soup and get yourself some Bay oil or plant a some West Indian Bay trees.

Please continue to keep us advised on the progress of your homemade aftershave. Every year I hand make some items for my close family and friends for Christmas. This sounds like a perfect project for gifts to the young boys and men this year. In fact, I'm going to add vintage bottles to my shopping list. Its never to early to say "Merry Christmas".

Firstly, don't use dark rum. The caramel they darken it with will make your face sticky.

Secondly, don't boil- you need as much alcohol as possible to dissolve the EO's. Boiling with the lid off will evaporate both alcohol and EO's, and spoil your rum.

Get alcohol over 60% abv, to ensure dissolving the oils. If you can get overproof rum, use it, otherwise everclear is your best bet. You can't have too much alcohol. If you use regular 37.5% rum from the corner shop, like I did the first time, you will have a very dark, bland smelling product. Use high alcohol and if you can, EO's rather than whole plant (but use them sparingly).

Add glycerin at the end if you need moisturising properties as an aftershave- typically 5% is enough.

Finally, forget the witch hazel. Real Bay Rum is a toner and conditioner par excellence, and needs no witch hazel watering it down.

This is among the many that i have found: It seems real easy. Also I had read somewhere you could add a few drops of gylcerin when the mix is finished.

4 Ounces Vodka
2 Tablespoons Jamaican Rum
2 Dried Bay Leaves
1/4 Teaspoon Allspice
1 Stick of Cinnamon, broken in pieces
Fresh Zest from a Small Orange

Combine all ingredients in a container such as a bottle or mason jar with a tightly fitting lid. Put the closed container in a dark, cool place (not in the refrigerator). After two weeks, strain mixture through several layers of cheesecloth, paper towels or a coffee filter. If necessary, repeat until no residue remains. Put in an attractive bottle or atomizer and splash on or spray face after shaving.

I don't have any attractive bottles-- is an old ugly one okay in a pinch? This seems to have worked for me, from time to time, where women are concerned...:lol::lol:

The Dominica Bay Rum list "laurus nobilis" as an ingrediant as seen here. So which bay leaves do I use?

http://www.stjohnhistoricalsociety.org/Articles/Bay-Rum.htm
http://www.avirtualdominica.com/bay.htm
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bay+rum

I'm almost 100% certain that that label is inaccurate, because Dominica has a major Bay Tree industry - which of course involves West Indies Bay Tree, not Mediterranean Laurel. So I think the copywriter got confused and quoted the wrong plant. As that guide/brochure was added by the American importer, it is understandable that they were not intimately familiar with the actual ingredients. After muddling through this thread I'm sure you can appreciate the difficulty one can have in getting it right.

AAnd just to win the world trophy of pedantry, I found this on the importer's website:

"Dominica Bay Rum is a naturally pure organic fragrance with no artificial dyes, fragrances, or synthetic enhancers of any kind. The art of making authentic quality bay rum lies in the masterful blending of the purest of alcohol and the leaf oil extract from the Caribbean bay tree (Pimenta racemosa)."

http://www.calantilles.com/catcframes/Products/prod01.html

So it is about as certain as anything can be that the other label is in error.

Well I guess that solves my question. Now I need to find someone to send me some Caribbean bay tree leaves or try to grow one myself in Texas.:001_smile

Top Bottom