What's new

First try at restoring

I picked this razor up at a local antique shop over the weekend. She definitely needs some work, but will hopefully clean up nicely. To be honest, I am a bit more worried about honing it than anything else. It has a pretty pronounced frown, and a few tiny nicks along the blade edge. I'm going to un pin it and try to clean up the blade this week. Any tips would be very welcome! It is a colonial "improved eagle", a hair over 13/16 and extra hollow grind.
$IMAG0703.jpg

At one point I had a 7-day set of these that I restored, they're generally pretty easy, but it depends on the edge. That one looks to have a wavy bevel with either a crack or a chip (from the picture). You're gonna lose some steel, but it should clean up pretty well. I suggest trying to cover the etching as much as possible when you're sanding, it looks deep, but I found that when sanding over it, its a) not as deep as it looks, and b) when you sand over it, the etching rounds off kinda and doesn't "pop" quite as much. Good luck Sir! and a good pick!

Thanks for the tips soldierdan! I figured that I would lose some of the blade width. But I can keep it in the 6/8 range, I will be a happy guy.:thumbup:
The Bevel is definitely all over the place on this one, and yep, that is a nice small chip along the edge. The real mess, that isn't visible in this pic, is that the pivot area is rust city. So that is another concern of mine.

Ok, so I tried to file the pin and slowly work it out of the scales, of course, I ended up breaking them. But on the bright side, my blade is free and on closer inspection, I don't think these scales were that old to begin with. I was a bit timid with the sandpaper, and think I can clean it up more. What do you guys think? Should I keep sanding, or leave well enough alone? Replacement scales will most likely come from maggard razors, as I was already planning on buying my pinning supplies from there.
$IMAG0713.jpg$IMAG0715.jpg

Personally, I would go for mirror on the tang, and maybe the spine, but leave the face and etching where its at. Then again, I'm out of the restoring game for the moment and am sending anything that I get (thats worth restoring) out to be worked on. I lack the motivation right now. Best of luck Sir! Looking good so far!

Thanks for the input Dan! I gave it just a bit more sanding yesterday, and hit it with some mothers polish after. It shined up pretty well, now I need to figure out how to re pin this thing.

Ok gents, so I went ahead and ordered a set of scales from maggard. They are about what you would expect from a 10.00 set of scales. Not perfect by any means, but they did get the job done. It is pretty noticeable that they are a bit too small for the blade, but beggars can't be choosers, so I went ahead and gave it a try anyway. It turned out ok..... The blade doesn't close on center, but it isn't terrible. All in all I think it is halfway decent for my first try. Is there any way to adjust the blade closure short of unpinning and doing it over?
$IMAG0725.jpg

Top Bottom