What's new

Help me pick out my next watch!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I propose a counterpoint - by very nature of the definition, something cannot be "sporty" while "dressy" and visa versa. Chronographs shouldn't be considered dress watches, which typically fall into the category of leather strapped, incredibly simple faces/bezels - devoid of unnecessary decoration and complication.

Well said.

Watches are one of those things that you don't want the best of both worlds. If you want sporty, you get a Gshock. That's what I think of when I hear sporty watch. I would not GShock with a suit, nor would I wear a dress watch to the gym.
Now, a simple diver might fit the bill of both.

Actually, I would have said "diver" for "... if you want to be sporty". I couldn't see a diver fitting in with a suit ... certainly for casual attire or sport, but not dressing up.

Thanks guys! I really, really like B.. just can't figure out if it will go well with formal wear or not.

No, it won't.

If you want to get really hard-core with your formal attire ... and by "formal" I assume you mean tuxedo (black tie) or white tie ... then don't wear a wristwatch at all. A pocket watch ... or one of those modern pocket watches that also take photos, play Angry Birds, send text messages and post on Facebook ... is the way to go.

For a "business suit" ... D, A, maybe C. B would be "okay" sort of, but all the chrono dials give off that "still have my mind stuck in the weekend fun" vibe, kind of like trying to wear Doc Martens or some such footwear with the suit.

I differ re: "dress watches can't be...". Dive watches for example. I would wear a Longines Legend as a dress watch. A Breitling SuperOcean Heritage. A Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Gorgeous watches, and if divers were good enough for Bond, James Bond, they are good enough for me. :thumbup:

Last week I purchased A in a different color scheme (silver detail, off white face, with blue hands) and could not be happier. It is a very good looking watch, looks better then picture and works great for work, where I have to wear a suit every day. I purchased the watch from Orient and used promo code NEWBAMBINO and received 30% off and a they threw in another watch for free making it a bargain. Not sure if the code is still active but worth checking out.

It's personal taste of course and different for each person's typical attire and other watches in your collection. That said, for me, I prefer the Zeppelin 100 Jahre Chronograph of the group.

Unless you are really agent 007 formal attire would dictate D. I also have A and wear it in a work environment that requires suits. IMO chronograph's are to casual for formal events.

So far the only other watch I have in my collection is a Movado Bold

proxy.php

I guess my definition of formal isn't anywhere near as formal as I thought.. I mean likes a dress shirt/dress pants going to a club or walking the strip in Vegas.

Top Bottom