What's new

Why choose Harley-Davidson ?

So, with the peanut tank, you are walking after about 90 miles or so. (Don't ride one in the American west, unless you take extra fuel)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
3.8 liters per US Gallon.
Most of the softail cruisers from Harley have about a 20 L tank, give or take.

Important factors in selecting a motorcycle? In no particular order: Comfort, handling, reliability/durability, good power curve, quiet, customer support, etc. Feel free to add.

The "good old days"? Rigid frames, 6 volt electrical systems, kick starters, thin dime and an emery board, noise, unreliability/durability,
poor/unreliable customer support. Feel free to add.

You can put an Evolution head on an 80 cubic inch block Shovelhead and have a good hybrid bike.

Ever try to kick start an XLCH Sporty, set the valves on a Panhead, do a long distance ride on a rigid frame, worn a kidney belt, hearing loss, mixing oil and gasoline?

Never have been much of a nostalgia buff but there is/are that/those which have stood the test of time and change without improvement benefits no one.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I had a Low Rider shovelhead. When The Sportster came out with the Evolution engine (no longer had to adjust valves) I traded the Low Rider in. I live close to Grand Teton and Yellowstone parks and spent lots of time going there with friends for years as well as trips around the state. Loved both bikes. What was strange to me is that when I parked, women I didn't know would walk up and ask me for a ride when my girlfriend wasn't with me.

They didn't call those rigid frames "Milwaukee Vibrators" for nada.

I had a Low Rider shovelhead. When The Sportster came out with the Evolution engine (no longer had to adjust valves) I traded the Low Rider in. I live close to Grand Teton and Yellowstone parks and spent lots of time going there with friends for years as well as trips around the state. Loved both bikes. What was strange to me is that when I parked, women I didn't know would walk up and ask me for a ride when my girlfriend wasn't with me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It looks nice, but isn't that petrol tank very small?

My NT700V has a 20L tank, and that's already smallish (have to fill up every 350km - 220 miles).

The tank is a one piece copy of the HD fat bob tanks (which were two pieces). It holds about 4.5 gallons (17 liters).

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yes that tank is small, about 3 1/2 gallons (US). But then again, that's plenty, when you are just riding 10-20 miles from bar to bar to bar..... :)

The original FXE tank was that, but I have a one piece copy of the Fat Bob tanks.

I've been riding a few years now and have always ridden cruisers. I'd always imagined I'd end up on a Harley but they're very expensive here in New Zealand. When I finally got enough coin together I spent about 2-3 months seriously looking. I had enough for a 2003-2005 Wide Glide with high mileage and that was pretty much all I could afford ($20k NZD which was around the $18k USD mark). I'm 6,1 and 200lbs and could never get comfortable....then when I did find something that felt okay I wouldn't pull the trigger as I'd want to hang out to see what else came on the market. Then I stumbled upon a Victory Vegas 8 Ball. The make had fantastic reviews, fit me like a glove, had the "made in USA" credibility I was after, bigger engine and was quite a bit cheaper. I owned it within a week of seeing it. I still absolutely love Harley's but know for sure that I would never, ever own one. There are only a few of these bikes in NZ and with that in mind I get a fair bit of attention from people asking about how it rides and generally "what the hell is it"? Every third bike seems to be a Harley and while I appreciate them...I like to be a bit different. That's probably why I shave with a SR too.

Does this count as a bridge bike? You know, something other than classic heavy cruiser but with V twin power. Kind of cool I thought.

proxy.php

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Does this count as a bridge bike? You know, something other than classic heavy cruiser but with V twin power. Kind of cool I thought.

proxy.php

The engine looks like an Ironhead (Sportster engine around the same time that Shovelheads were)

The engine looks like an Ironhead (Sportster engine around the same time that Shovelheads were)

That looks like the HD engine is in a Norton featherbed frame. If it is, the handling will be superb. Why the Norton vertical twin was replaced though....surprises me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That looks like the HD engine is in a Norton featherbed frame. If it is, the handling will be superb. Why the Norton vertical twin was replaced though....surprises me.

Yeah, the Ironhead was an HD engine. They probably wanted more power.

Gents, according to the article I lifted the photo from the bike is called Dresda-Davidson. It doesn't list the year of the bike but does list the engine as a 1970 XLCH. I think the combo looks great.

I wonder that Harley doesn't make a 'standard' motorbike? With the crazy popularity of the Bonneville something similar would be great. I love the look of the 48 so they have the straight up nostalgic outlaw hotrod bike look covered in the Sportster line. Something that was a little more upright would be nice. All this low, low, low business makes me think they are trying to cover the guys that can't seem to pull their pants up. 26 inch seat height? Is this the Lollipop Guild were talking about? The bikes look okay but hey (as uncle Si says) let's mix it up a bit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom