What's new

Camping Meals - Post your recipes, suggestions, tips, and pics

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I always do yellow and orange bell peppers when grilling, I may have to give sweet peppers a try for a change of pace.

These little peppers were quite tasty and the ability to grill them whole was a bonus.

The leftover peppers were used for lunch the next day on pizza buns...along with the leftover bacon and farmer sausage from previous meals.

We finished off the week with classic campfire hotdogs, but with a twist.

European Weiner's on toasted buns with sauteed onions done over the fire.

I wish I had started this thread at the start of the year as Camping season is almost done for us, but hope others will continue to post their suggestions and recipes.

$uploadfromtaptalk1408841053522.jpg

Last edited:
Man that looks amazing brucered, I have enjoyed this thread and the pictures of your cooking. Hey I am camping too. Well in Ohio. But thanks for putting these pictures up. Maybe I might try cooking some of the food you cooked next time I go camping. ☺

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Is that red stuff on the hot dog...Ketchup? :scared:

I occasionally put ketchup on my dogs, too, as long as I have raw onions on them. Ketchup and kraut, on the other hand, is not something I would ever do.

Last edited by a moderator:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I see that a Harold Callahan has just cleared Canadian customs.

I can't bear to watch...I'm outta here...:yikes:

Yeah, a little bit of Ketchup went on the dogs.

I don't use it often, but there was no relish or other toppings in the camper, so squirted a bit on.

@simon1 @BSAguy and others...

what size Dutch Oven would you recommend for a camping family of 4. Wife, me, 2 young boys that are growing and soon will out eat us.

The one we have does not appear to be up to the qaulity of our other cast iron pots. So I was eyeing the Lodge L12DCO3, 8qt, 12" wide x 5" deep, claw feet, flat top for coals, but am wondering if I need one that deep as it may take much more wood and coals to use property. I will likely buy from a USA dealer to save on shipping and pick it up on my next road trip.

It seems the other models are 3.5" deep. I guess the other option (B&B option that is), would be to buy the 12" shallow and the 10" deep.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I was wondering how many people you had to feed...a co-worker has 8 kids. :scared::scared::scared:

I'd go with a regular 10 inch, not deep, Lodge.

It's not as heavy or big as a 12", and mine cooks enough for me and SWMBO for a couple of meals, or more. That is the one that has the most "seasoning" on it :001_smile and should do just fine for your clan.

My 12" dutch oven has seen the least work compared to my 10" and 8".

And if you don't have a burlap bag get a dutch oven carry bag from Wally World or something similar to keep things clean.

I'm not at all familiar with the stores up there, but an Army Surplus, old fashioned hardware store, and even Wally World has some Lodge Dutch ovens here.

I will totally defer to BSAguy's recommendations as I'm sure he has more experience in this than I do.

I'd go with the regular 10", they'll feed about 4-6 people and a 12" will feed about 6-8.

If you get a 10" and find that it's too small for you, you can then get a 12" and also use the 10" for smaller portions or in addition to the 12". If you get a 12" and find that it's too big it may sit unused most of the time.

Take a look at them at some place that sells them and if the 12" is not too big for you (remember, it will be full of food when handling it, but you don't have to handle them much) by all means get the 12"; you can always adjust the portions of the meal down if you don't need all of that capacity.

Oh, and a good pair of channel lock pliers make a great lid lifter when inverted (turn the channel locks upside down from what you would normally grab something with and slip them under the handle of the lid when lifting it).

Anything you can cook in your kitchen oven, and even fry (on the inverted lid or in the bottom of the oven), or deep fry in oil, can be cooked in a Dutch oven.

Get a lid stand or have something to sit the lid on while cooking to put it down without it getting dirty...and that can also help to hold the lid off of the coals to use the lid as a skillet.

Oh, and just to be an enabler.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
If you haven't already looked at them in person, here's a couple of pics. of a 12", 10", and an 8" with a pack of hamburger buns next to them for comparison.

I'm glad the Dutch oven subject came up...as humid as it's been here mine are starting to get some oxidation, even with the lid cracked and paper towels in them. Glad I pulled them out and looked at them. Guess I need to start using them more.

I see a cast iron cleaning party in the works this weekend that involves a battery charger and some swimming pool ph balancer. :w00t:

Since there was a thread about cast iron corn bread that I didn't post in I thought I'd throw in a pic. of SWMBO's corn bread from a couple of weeks ago. The way she makes it it's not dry at all. Melt in your mouth.

Attachments

• $003.JPG
    $003.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 96
  • $008.JPG
    $008.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 95
  • $001.JPG
    $001.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 156
Thanks Mike.

I've always enjoyed cooking with cast iron at home and finally started using it camping....not sure why I never have in the past.

Those pics help a lot as I may have to order online.

That 10" pot looks versatile enough for me and big enough to get me feet wet with.

For a simple cobbler...http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/354011-Dutch-oven-cobbler?highlight=cobbler

Make a bisquick batter according to package directions. I use 1 1/2 cup of bisquick with 2/3 cup milk.

Line DO with foil.

Put in a 21 ounce can of your favorite pie filling...apple, cherry, etc., then warm it while you are pre-heating the lid.

Add the bisquick and top with a few pats of butter.

Cook with coals on top and bottom for abut 20 minutes, then with only coals on top for another 15 minutes.

I may try this one this week, hopefully with some freshly picked blueberries.

I'm still looking for a simple, cream soup free (not a fan of canned soups) DO stew to make...so if anyone has one, I'd love a link or recipe. Meat, potatoes, veggies, beef gravy type sauce.

Normally we only cook over wood, but I bought a 10 lb bag of lump to bring this trip.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Now that one looks right up our alley! I even have homemade beef stock in the freezer from our Dutch Oven Rump Roast.

I'll see what my wife says, but I like the sounds of it.

Whoops, I forgot the picture. Go back and look now. This one is on my list come winter.

Top Bottom