What's new

Soapy Bathman soaps?

I usually don't start threads but I couldn't find any information on Soapy Bathman, a shaving soap maker (http://soapybathman.ca/).

Does anyone have any experience with this soap and have any comments on the quality and scent?

It might sound silly but they have a banana scented soap and it intrigues me.

I was ready to buy a couple of soaps after looking at ingredients then saw that shipping from Canada was more than a puck of soap. So like you I'm hoping to see some more input before I spend that much.

Did someone call for a soapy Batman?

proxy.php

I was ready to buy a couple of soaps after looking at ingredients then saw that shipping from Canada was more than a puck of soap. So like you I'm hoping to see some more input before I spend that much.

Ah, I didn't even think about shipping, that can be a deal breaker.

And telling someone not to Google something is perhaps the easiest form of reverse psychology :laugh:.

I have a sample of the Bay Rum, but unfortunately I have yet to use it. I can't even comment on the scent because I've never had or used a true Bay Rum scented product. All of the Bay Rums I've had access to have been cut with other scents like HTGAM Coconut Bay Rum.

What I've seen on other sites says that the product is good, but I don't have any first hand experience with that yet.

I have the Just Bananas scent. It smells awesome. It smells like actual bananas right around the point where they're getting some brown spots and they're almost perfect for making banana bread, not the chemically banana flavoring that tends to get used in banana flavored candy. Visually, it looks like it was made from those same bananas with a yellowish/brownish hue. I love the smell far more than I thought I might. From the two times I've used it, it has created a very nice lather and I've gotten a very good shave out of it. It's my soap of choice for the Single September thread, so by the end of the month I'll know quite well if I love it or hate it.

I have the Just Bananas scent. It smells awesome. It smells like actual bananas right around the point where they're getting some brown spots and they're almost perfect for making banana bread, not the chemically banana flavoring that tends to get used in banana flavored candy. Visually, it looks like it was made from those same bananas with a yellowish/brownish hue. I love the smell far more than I thought I might. From the two times I've used it, it has created a very nice lather and I've gotten a very good shave out of it. It's my soap of choice for the Single September thread, so by the end of the month I'll know quite well if I love it or hate it.

Excellent review, great to know about the real, ripe banana scent vs. an artificial candy scent. And a good heads-up about the color. I prefer a pristine white color like from a TFS but ultimately, it doesn't matter if the scent and performance are there. I hope you continue to enjoy it for your Single September!

Excellent review, great to know about the real, ripe banana scent vs. an artificial candy scent. And a good heads-up about the color. I prefer a pristine white color like from a TFS but ultimately, it doesn't matter if the scent and performance are there. I hope you continue to enjoy it for your Single September!
You know that "pristine white"color that you favor is generally achieved by adding titanium dioxide, right? So it's not actually a characteristic of the soap itself, it's artificially created by adding the whitening agent. Just so you know........

So, I started my September thing using the Just Bananas and finishing off with HTGAM Tombstone AS, which, by the way smells and feels amazing. Tombstone is a mix of leather and gunpowder and a few other scents and it truly does smell like leather and gun powder with a faint background note of complementing scents. The Just Bananas has a slight hint through the leather and gun powder, and I gotta tell you, I worried about how this combo would smell, but it turns out I'm a fan of banana leather. Who woulda thought?

So, here are my impressions on first shave with Soapy Bathman Crisp Bay Rum.
Overall, absolutely excellent, exceeding my expectations.
Lathered superbly, huge volume.
Heavily loaded the badger onto the pre-soaked soap-in-the-jar.
Gave the brush generous extra hot water.
Finished lathering on my face.
Lather exploded, reminded my of Tabula Rasa.
Nice, but not-too-thick lather, so it worked great for straight razor shaving.
Scent was there, but not as strong as Ogallala bay rum soap.
Good lubrication.
Lather rinses easily from the blade.
Face feel afterward was very nice, perhaps not as buttery as MWF but certainly on par with DRH.
Overall, a really nice soap and shave.

Last edited:
So, here are my impressions on first shave with Soap Bathman Crisp Bay Rum.
Overall, absolutely excellent, exceeding my expectations.
Lathered superbly, huge volume.
Heavily loaded the badger onto the pre-soaked soap-in-the-jar.
Gave the brush generous extra hot water.
Finished lathering on my face.
Lather exploded, reminded my of Tabula Rasa.
Nice, but not-too-thick lather, so it worked great for straight razor shaving.
Scent was there, but not as strong as Ogallala bay rum soap.
Good lubrication.
Lather rinses easily from the blade.
Face feel afterward was very nice, perhaps not as buttery as MWF but certainly on par with DRH.
Overall, a really nice soap and shave.

That is pretty much my experience with the Crisp Bay Rum sample as well. I will add that the soap and proto-lather are blue tinged, but the lather whitens just fine with further lathering. I'm going to hit it with my Muhle XL Silvertip Fibre and see how it handles that.

Further points of clarification:
I've never tried Ogallala so I can't corroborate the scent claim.
Never use Tabula Rasa so I can't corroborate that either, but it did lather well and easily.

Top Bottom