What's new

Lets make some honing videos.

honing... related.

Had a VERY hard old coti paddle stone I didn't want to use the power sander on because of length and how little coticule it had to spare. So I picked up some SIC powder that everyone's always raving about to give it a try.

After an hour or so of lapping on 220-400 grit papers and only getting about half of the dish out... 4 minutes with 60grit SIC powder, with one hand holding the camera, having never used the stuff before, finished it up. Another two minutes on my DMT and it's ready to use.

Uploading it now, should be up in about 20-30min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsNwfMLbl-c

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Ian I got lung cancer just watching that. Ha
Was it pretty flat coming off the SIC? I still have trouble with the edges being a bit lower that the middle when using powder.

Was it pretty flat coming off the SIC? I still have trouble with the edges being a bit lower that the middle when using powder.

SIC alone won't get something flat. It's kind of like the bevel setter of the lapping world. It gets the stone 90% of the way there and then W/D or an atoma can finish it off.

I have to get around to posting a pic of a stone I got, allegedly Japanese, that even SIC powder seems to do nothing to. And it's badly, badly dished.

Very flat. Like I said, two minutes on my very, very worn 220 DMT had it good to go. I can't speak for progressing in loose grits, but using a coarse powder to flatten then switching to a diamond plate works a charm.

Just did a 5x1" thuri with a fish hook/needle gouge and an ~8x4" Charnley with a small dish with a tbls of grit and less than two minutes. This stuff is magic.

Jeremy, what grit are you trying to use? This 60 grit ripped material off the Charnley like I was sanding a block of chilled butter. I don't have any hard jnat's or arks that need leveling, but I'd expect it would work nearly as well with them. I'd say the initial ten seconds or so on any stone appears to make little progress, but then the coarse surface from the powder takes, which helps trap and grind against the powder, making it just chew up the stone.

Last edited:
Hey Ian, I think it was Mark having the problems. When I lapped my chipped ozuku I used either 40 or 60 grit 3m paper and it tore through the stone, which is damn hard.

Ahh yeah, my mistake, meant to ask Mark.

Here's a Dilucot on a ten inch mystery hone coming off my DMT with a full hollow.

Last edited by a moderator:

David

Cool video Ian. Love the soundtrack. I'll give you 65 bucks for that stone...

Ian, did you wipe off the razor with a pair of womens shorts made out of sweat pant material??

Your honing style is very similar to mine. If i'm honing on a bench and not hand held, I almost always guide the toe of the razor with my off hand until the final stages where i remove that from the equation to reduce pressure.

David

Great video, Ian. That's a sweet Karasu.
Do you always do water only laps on your jnats?

Yeah, I've yet to find one that finishes better on slurry. The water laps require more care on the harder stones (as I mention in the video), but I always get a little more sharpness by proceeding to them. The possible exception is my softest jnat, which is quite a bit coarser than the rest (about as fine as a thuri, maybe a hair coarser), on which it doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference, but I still tend to finish on water, out of habit more than anything. That's the stone I mention briefly as being suitable to substitute for work on Mejiro slurry (between my DMT and another Jnat).

And thanks, I'm really fond of that stone. I believe it's the oldest stone in my collection bought since I started honing razors. I have a few arks and such predating it which were bought for knives, however.

Cheers for the videos Slice. I've been enjoying your posts on stones for years but the increase in the quality of your video/photography over the past year or so is appreciated.

David

Nice video Ian. I'm going to have to try my 10 inch thuri on the bench. It doesn't work well for hand honing.

Top Bottom