What's new

Anyone else attend Drum Corp International World Championship last night?

I'm curious to see if there is any intersection between B&B and Drum Corps fandom. I suspect it's near zero, but obviously not zero, as I was there at the finals last night in Indy :thumbup1:. Great shows this year - plenty of goodbumps moments. I've been a huge drum corps fan since my marching band days in high school. I somewhat regrettably never tried out for any corps (conflicted with my engineering co-op schedule in college), but I still feel some connection with drum corps members, having spent a lot of time out on the field myself - scorching sun in pre-season band camp - fingers so cold I could hardly move them at practice in ten degree weather late in the season, and such a feeling of accomplishment in the awards ceremonies at competition (win or loose). Those were the days. I still have several of my drill books that I look through on occasion.

Last edited:
I really like DCI. My dad and uncle were in a Corps back in the 60's when a lot of various social clubs and fraternal lodges sponsored them in small towns across the US. Still have his bugle. I would like to get Dad to a competition someday soon with my kids while I still have the opportunity.

My Grandad played snare drum in a pipe band, and being of Scots heritage, a good marching pipe and drum band is sight and sound to behold. My Mom had videos of the Edinburgh Tattoos, and even on tape those performances could raise the hairs on your neck. My great regret in life is not taking up my Grandad's offer of teaching me how to drum like he did. It was probably the kilt thing...

Last edited:

strop

Now half as wise
Look on You-tube for videos of the Edinburgh Tatoo. Some incredible stuff. I really hope to get there to see it in person some day

Attended the DCI Championship show in Madison, Wisconsin many, many moons ago. It's definitely a sight to see and I'd recommend it to anyone. I was a drummer in my high school marching band. I would have never had the stomach to do what those kids can do. I was seated near where the corps exited after their performances and there were more than a few faintings and passing outs as they exited and the performance tension was released.

PBS usually shows the DCI Championships every year. Just a heads up for those of you who may be interested.

Don

I really like DCI. My dad and uncle were in a Corps back in the 60's when a lot of various social clubs and fraternal lodges sponsored them in small towns across the US. Still have his bugle. I would like to get Dad to a competition someday soon with my kids while I still have the opportunity.

Here's a little taste of the technical level (both musical and visual) DCI is at these days, and this corps (Carolina Crown) was in 5th place at the finals (video from a prior contest the weekend before). I point to them here because I just really liked their show, but they all had great shows. The closer is just totally awesome, in particular from 11:15 or so. The hornline / marimaba synced section (11:38) there is just stunning. It was even cleaner at the finals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfzaTlGnnzk

and a practice session of the closer for the music nerds... (unfortunately mono)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw6DXyOT22c

Last edited:
Attended the DCI Championship show in Madison, Wisconsin many, many moons ago. It's definitely a sight to see and I'd recommend it to anyone. I was a drummer in my high school marching band. I would have never had the stomach to do what those kids can do. I was seated near where the corps exited after their performances and there were more than a few faintings and passing outs as they exited and the performance tension was released.

PBS usually shows the DCI Championships every year. Just a heads up for those of you who may be interested.

Don

I went to all of the Finals shows in Madison in the 80's...great venue. I also marched on that field a couple of times in MBA (Marching Bands of America) competitions..that was a pretty big deal for us..what a memory!

I love that it's in Indy now (at least through 2018), but I have to say I prefer an outdoor venue like Madison, or the time or two there were regional level shows down in Bloomington, IN at the IU stadium. Lucas Oil stadium is pretty decent acoustically, as they do a pretty good job of softening things up with sheeting that they hang on the seats opposite the field. But still, outdoor is the reference - no (or very little) echo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom