What's new

introducing me

I have been wet shaving for about 12 years, for the last few years i haven been using a Gillette Mach3, quite happy.

then i have been reading about shaving with a old-school DE razor.

So I got myself a badger brush and shaving soap and a new Weishi DE razor.....

been using it for a few weeks, I can get a respectable shave but that all.
seems like more work than the Mach3 and not as good a job.

I find myself pushing down to get a good close shave, on the bright side i have made two weeks and not had so much as a nick.

is it just me or is the Weishi a bit of a cheep bit of $#@??

First off, Welcome! Now on to a bit of advice with my limited knowledge and experience. Take it with a grain of salt.

My first DE was a Weishi and it was serviceable. However, after about a week or two, I realized that I just wanted a more aggressive, and less cheap feeling razor. So I bought a Merkur HD from Lee and haven't looked back since. It's leaps and bounds better than a Weishi IMO, but YMMV. I'd say if you aren't liking the Weishi that you should shop around for another razor as well, because I did and now I'm a happy camper :smile:.

Welcome to B&B.

And the Weishi's are more of a bottom rung type of razor...there are better ones out there.

You could try to get a nice new Merkur from one of the wonderful vendors out there, or perhaps a nice vintage Gillette, I'd suggest trying to get in on the b/s/t forum here, as ebay tends to get a little pricey, and the guys selling stuff here have good reputations.

Welcome to b&b. Personally I would recommend you pick up a vintage Gillette Sueprspeed or Tech to get you going. Shave worthy examples can he had fairly cheaply and are good gentle shavers

I started wet shaving with a Weishi. It was sort of maybe just kinda at a pinch ok as a starting razor, but it is not a razor I have any intention of using again. Some guys just can't get anything approaching a decent shave with one. Please don't judge DE shaving by a Weishi. The advice above is pretty good; either buy a new Merkur from one of the vendors that get good mentions here, or use the B/S/T forum to pick up a secondhand razor.

I don't think that you mentioned which blades you are using. The standard advice, get the sample pack from www.westcoastshaving.com, shouldn't be ignored.

Cheers

Jeremy

Welcome to B&B. A lot of very good input already given here by the others. A big +1 on the Merkur HD. It will seem like a lot of work compared to a multi blade at first, i felt the same way too, but that's because you have not mastered the technique of using a DE yet or to put it in another way you have to un learn all the bad things you have learn't by using the multi blades al these years. Give it some time and keep at it and you will see a big difference in your shaves. Best of luck.

Welcome to B&B enjoy :thumbup1:

I never owned a weishi but most Merkur's and Gillette models with a good blade should work nicely, but on them you won't want to use any pressure as they have a reputation for being more aggresive then a weishi

good luck

Top Bottom