What's new

WSP vs Shavemac

Looking at a Shavemac bulb from WCS then saw something about WSP brushes, the only info on WSP brushes I could find was from a year or two ago, is there any up to date feedback on WSP brushes? The Shavemac in question is a Finest knot where for the same money WSP offers silvertip. I could use some advice from the brush experts. Or those who have owned both and do you still have them?

I don't know much about wsp, but shavemac is awesome. You can't really compare grades by name across brands. The shavemac finest is supposed to be a good deal, as it mixes several kinds of hair to get a nice balance of firmness and softness. I've not used one though.

Again, I've not used the wsp, but there are some pretty dismal silvertips out there. When I was starting out, I bought a silvertip (who shall remain nameless) and spent a decent amount on it because they are supposed to be the
"best". It has to be 1/3 less dense than any of my other brushes, and has way too high of a loft. So it says silvertip, but it kind if sucks.

I do own a line of Shavemacs and one two band WSP knot in a Geoff Anderson handle. The handle is actually made by Bernd Blos from Shavemac.

The main difference between Shavemacs and WSP is that the WSP knots are made in China and therefore not consistent. The owner of WSP claims that he sources his knots from the same supplier as Kent does. This is probably true but does not say anything about the knots!

As we all know the consistency of China made knots is unpredictable as opposed to the in house made Shavemac knots. Bernds operation at Shavemac is for me the most consistent source of quality knots in the wet shaving business.

That being said I do love my WSP two bander finest. The knot is sparser than the Shavemac and thus softer on the face. In fact this knot is my softest two bander.

WSP two bander in Shavemac handle designed by Geoff Anderson. Slightly damp in pic.

Shavemac knots: 2 band D01, 3 band D01, silvertip and finest​

More info in my write up here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/397957-Big-brushes-shootout-(pic-heavy)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had 4 different Shavemacs - they are really nice knots.
Also Mr Rudy Vey has his recommendation here so that carries a lot of clout.

I have a WSP "Baroness" that I bought because it was a relatively cheap silvertip ($50). It's still my first and only silver tip. I really enjoy it.

WSP has their prince line for sale (in white). I bought a finest and found the tips to be softer than their super finest and they developed a light curl. Excellent value brush, a tad small and bulby but very functional. I also ordered a best and after it's first use it falls right in between their finest and super finest for tip softness, backbone and flow through. I ordered a silvertip from shavemac on the 11th of July, it was shipped 11 days ago. I got the cheapo shipping option :-( .

If you can get a handle for cheap (whipped dog?) their 24mm best on sale might be the best brush value on the market IMO.

I own 2 WSP superfine knotted brushes. I really like both. I've recently borrowed my buddy's B&B RV/Shavemac brush with the finest knot. My preference is the Shavemac. More backbone, great flow through, soft but a little scrub. The WSP knots are still great and very soft, but the Shavemac finest wins with its backbone.

Great value for a very good brush. I have a Monarch and find it very agreeable. Soft tips, firm backbone, quick to lather and holds both water and lather well. It works like a balloon whisk and I prefer if for my harder to lather creams and soaps for this reason.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I just received my first Shavemac yesterday, a D01 3 band Americana and after 50 odd Simpson, Kent, Vulfix, Thater, Plisson...etc.
MAJOR recommendation for Shavemac

Top Bottom