What's new

10 mm Glock?

I've been "told" that 10mm isn't a great personal defense round. My Colt Delta Elite is inferior to my Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum in every way, shape, and form, ballistics-wise. I'm not kidding. All I use the Colt for is blowing holes in very thick medium.

Recoil of the 10 mm is not what you would want for HD, Noah. Best would be auto or pump shotgun. But if you must have a pistol then a 9mm with high cap mag.

Not possible for the high capacity mag! He lives in Kalifornia just as you and I do! Sigh!

Mike

From what I observe, urban areas are seldom without light; rural situations may differ. Responsibility for rounds fired is a given; the next to last thing we should want to do is shoot someone regardless of the reason/situation; the last, someone shooting us or someone near and dear to us.

From experiences in Hogan's Alley type situations; I learned and became proficient at shooting in the dark at muzzle flashes or voices/sounds. This was done to teach us the value of silent movement and stealth in approaching a possible adversary and to me was a revelation of what to expect in a possible confrontation. Perhaps because of this, I am not entirely comfortable with using a light or being entirely in the dark.

It would be wonderful if there was a concrete solution for every situation but unfortunately; there is not and the best we can do is try cope with whatever arises/surprises on a per capita basis.

I think this thread addresses many questions which are germane as to what, when, where, how, why in regard to the use of deadly force especially pertaining to firearms.

Here's a good discussion about home defense and a link to a news story where things went bad due to lack of identification.

https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2015/01/10/identify-before-you-shoot/#comments

No matter what the rest of us have to say about a particular round, you really aren't going to know unless you can find a gun like you are considering and try it. Regardless of what we think or what the ballistic tables tell you it won't make a good HD gun unless you and your SO are comfortable and accurate shooting it.

I've been "told" that 10mm isn't a great personal defense round. My Colt Delta Elite is inferior to my Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum in every way, shape, and form, ballistics-wise. I'm not kidding. All I use the Colt for is blowing holes in very thick medium.

I'm curious as to the basis of your comment. Are you using inferior 10mm loads? Granted, the DE has never been renowned for handling hotter 10mm loads, but to suggest that ballistically 10mm is inherently inferior to .357 magnum in comparable firearms (i.e. equal length barrels, both hotter loads, etc) is inaccurate at best. For all intents and purposes, the 10mm compares more to the .41 magnum than the .357, and I can't imagine that many people will try to argue that a smaller, lighter bullet that delivers less energy is, in any way, shape, or form ballistically superior to a larger, heavier bullet that delivers more energy. If you're using downloaded, lighter SD rounds in 10mm, or don't trust your DE to handle even moderately hot 10mm, it's a different story, but that speaks to the gun, not the caliber.

Has anyone shot a 10 mm Glock? What are your impressions? Would it make a good HD gun?

No offense meant here Noah, but if you have to ask that question, the answer is N0-Almost 100% of the time. You've been given some pretty solid advice so far. The 10mm isn't a caliber you jump head-first into. Like many other things, your level of experience should dictate the tools you have on hand for 'emergencies'. Not pointing any fingers but there a relatively small number of internet experts that do enough shooting/reloading/practicing to warrant giving practical advice. Reading magazines isn't trigger time. Get yourself to an NRA Certified Instructor and tell them what you plan on needing this pistol to do and go from there. Then shoot, shoot and shoot some more. I see many who will shoot thier 2 boxes per year and consider themselves 'ready'. That is NOT going to be the case. Your experience and level of confidence will tell you what pistol you'll prefer. Good luck.

My thought is if you have to ask "Is this caliber good for _______ " No offense meant, you should probably start off with a 9mm (g19 maybe), get proficient, and then decide what your next purchase will be. I shoot more than most. I cast and reload everything I shoot. I would NEVER recommend a 10mm to a beginner, for any purpose, field or otherwise. If you're a new shooter, my recommendation would be an American made, 6 round, 4" revolver in .357. Shoot a lot of .38 specials, then shoot a lot of .357 magnums. Then you can decide what you'd like to load it with for home defense. It is tough to argue with the well published results of full power 125g 357 mag hollow points from that platform. As was stated before, that 10mm brings autos into a whole new level of performance, but It's way too much to be practical for most. Maybe if you lived out in the country, had no neighbors, and nasty critter encounters were a real possibility.

No offense taken. I am not new to hand guns. Years ago I chose the .40 S&W and I shoot it well. I don't have extensive experience shooting other caliber ammunition. One of the reasons I asked about the 10 mm for HD is over the last twenty plus years the general population has drastically grown in body mass due to obesity.

No offense meant here Noah, but if you have to ask that question, the answer is N0-Almost 100% of the time. You've been given some pretty solid advice so far. The 10mm isn't a caliber you jump head-first into. Like many other things, your level of experience should dictate the tools you have on hand for 'emergencies'. Not pointing any fingers but there a relatively small number of internet experts that do enough shooting/reloading/practicing to warrant giving practical advice. Reading magazines isn't trigger time. Get yourself to an NRA Certified Instructor and tell them what you plan on needing this pistol to do and go from there. Then shoot, shoot and shoot some more. I see many who will shoot thier 2 boxes per year and consider themselves 'ready'. That is NOT going to be the case. Your experience and level of confidence will tell you what pistol you'll prefer. Good luck.

:rolleyes1

Last edited:
No offense taken. I am not new to hand guns. Years ago I chose the .40 S&W and I shoot it well. I don't have extensive experience shooting other caliber ammunition. One of the reasons I asked about the 10 mm for HD is over the last twenty plus years the general population has drastically grown in body mass due to obesity.

Ammo manufacturers engineer all of their self-defense ammo to penetrate to a certain depth of ballistic gel and stop, so switching to 10mm likely won't give you any deeper penetration than other of the self-defense calibers in standard factory loads. Exceptions might be loads from Double Tap or Buffalo Bore, who tend to load hotter than the big ammo manufacturers. Of course, if you hand load, you can load to whatever penetration depth you want, but according to self-defense expert Massad Ayoob, loading hand loads for self defense can become a problem for you in the court room if you ever get prosecuted for shooting someone.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4337-Service-Caliber-Handgun-Duty-and-Self-Defense-Ammo

Last edited:
I'd say check around a bit and see if you can get one off the rack at a local gun shop to use on the range. I was surprised to learn that a local shop here gives range time for $20 and any of their range pistols for $15, no time limit and no limit on the number of pistols that you can try out during that visit. Pay your $35 and provide the ammo, either by bringing your own or buying it from them & you can get a pretty good idea of what you think of a particular round and/or pistol(s). It may not be the norm, as they just recently did away with range time limits, but hopefully you can find a similar option.

If you know your way around handguns, you should be able to go from one caliber to another with a little adjustment time with no problem. I personally have never shot 10mm, but I doubt it has any mystical properties that require starting back at square 1 to achieve understanding of. Likewise, I don't think that asking if a particular pistol-caliber combination is a good choice for a specific application should automatically mean it is not, even anywhere close to 100% of the time. That's just, well, let's say it's "silly".

I purchased a 2nd Generation Glock 20 in February 1992 and have shot it frequently. I find that recoil in a 1911 type 10mm handgun (e.g., Colt Delta Elite) feels more severe than the recoil of my G20. I think the polymer material of the Glock and the mass of the slide help help tame recoil. I have medium size hands and don't have any trouble controlling the G20. When I shoot mine using a variety of factory loads, the recoil feels more like a shove than a sharp slap (if that makes sense). My G20 has proven itself reliable and the only part I've occasionally had to replace is the recoil spring. With that said, in my opinion, the full power 10mm loads are not a good choice for most indoor home defense scenarios. It's best reserved for outdoor use.

If I knew I was going to an OUTDOOR gun fight and could only take a handgun, I'd bring my G20 along with some magazines with 165 grain JHPs loaded to about 1350 fps and some magazines with 200 grain JFPs loaded to about 1250 fps. I would, however, be very hesitant using the G20 with full power loads for INDOOR home defense. As others have stated, the risk of unwanted penetration and permanent hearing damage is just too great.

Last edited:
I'd be curious to see some real world penetration testing between 10mm, 9mm, .40 & .45. I, admittedly have not shot 10mm, because I personally see it as an answer to a question that I never asked, but I have .357mag, .40 & .45 in pistols enough to question some implications here that 10mm is some mythical wonder round that will not only shoot through your walls, but through your neighbor's walls and maybe through the walls of the house that is scheduled to be built this Summer.

Lighter weight plastic guns taming recoil better than heavier all-steel guns? That is counterintuitive and doesn't pass the smell test for me. If I shoot a polymer and steel gun in .45ACP and my 1911 in .45ACP, I can pretty much guarantee you which one I am going to feel more kick from. The idea that that would change based on caliber is not something that I am easily sold on.

Ammo availability is a big issue, unless you reload. Just a few days ago I was buying a few boxes of pistol ammo in a local store and spotted some 10mm for sale at $43 for a box of 50. No thanks.

9mm, .40, and .45 are proven, available, and are not go anywhere any time soon. For the wheel gun guys, there is .38 and .357, which are also tried and proven over the years.

Ammo availability is a big issue, unless you reload. Just a few days ago I was buying a few boxes of pistol ammo in a local store and spotted some 10mm for sale at $43 for a box of 50. No thanks.

9mm, .40, and .45 are proven, available, and are not go anywhere any time soon. For the wheel gun guys, there is .38 and .357, which are also tried and proven over the years.
That's why I buy my 10mm ammo online. The stores are overpriced and usually they're selling stuff loaded a bit hotter than 40.

I buy from Underwood ammo. And I usually buy 200.00 worth for the free shipping. Their 10mm loads are well under 40 per box of 50rds. And they load to true 10mm velocities. I.E. hot. But, not over pressure.

With the obesity in the U.S., IMO, the military would be hard pressed to find enough physically fit specimens of mankind here to draft if we needed a large military all of a sudden. Perhaps that is why we haven't really gotten serious about closing the borders--TPTB are hoping enough skinny illegals will come in and solve our manpower problem! :lol: :001_huh: :sad:

WOW!!

OK. I am a competitive shooter of both IDPA and USPSA, work for a firearm manufacturer and shoot heavily. There are MANY unreliable opinions here. Sorry, but it's true. The 10mm auto came about in the early 80's as an answer to the FBI's dissatisfaction with the 9mm/38 special's knockdown capabilities. The original loading (FBI load) was ballistically equal to today's .40 S&W, and is the parent case to the .40. Unfortunately, most shooters, particularly smaller framed and or inexperienced were unable to efficiently qualify with the handgun and it was short lived.

I own and frequently carry a Glock 20 (10mm)for defense outdoors. My concealed carry rig is and will always be a Glock 17 (9mm). My training has lead me to understand that power means nothing unless you can "get your hits". Therefore the 9mm is for me the right choice in an urban environment where it is the 2 legged predator that is the most dangerous.

In the last few years I have spent a lot of time reloading for the 10mm and training with it because I carry it, and I have become very comfortable with moderate to light heavy loadings. Almost on par with my G17. To me the advantage of the 10mm is stopping power. But that does not mean that the 10mm is not right for home defense. A 135gr hollow point at 1600fps does tremendous tissue damage but nearly explodes on impact with wood, drywall, furniture. Therefore a very effective tool that will not kill your neighbor. it is a lot like a varmint load from a 223.

I still prefer my 9mm for an urban environment because it is far more concealable and I can hit center of mass on a man sized target 3 times in the time it takes me to get 2 with the 10mm. But I would feel very comfortable if the big 10 was my only choice.

The point is, what is acceptable to me might not be for you. The blanket statement that the 10mm is wrong for home defense is uneducated and unfounded. For some it might be the best answer to home defense.

What matters most is whether or not you are capable and comfortable enough to use whatever it is that you have decided to protect yourself and your family with. Educate yourself and train.

Yeah seriously!

If you're honestly worried about penetration, something like .357 SIG might be a better option. That being said, if the obesity epidemic was having a noticeable effect on the ability of pistols to take down perpetrators, I would think police departments around the country would already be making the switch to calibers other than the usual 9mm and .40S&W.

My father in law owns a 10mm Glock I believe the Glock 20? It's really not that bad. For a house gun it will be a good fit. The 10mm round is like a 40 SW magnum. It's basically the big brother to the 40 SW like how the 9mm is the big brother to the .380. The gun is big but it helps maintain the recoil.

Top Bottom