What's new

Throw away

Hello all readers, I'm a newbie in DE shaving and now buying my first one, after my mach 3 turbo i hope i'll enjoy shaving. First question, how much shaves do I keep the blades before changing? And how do i know when a blade needs changing? Do i need to use both hands (left for left side of the face and right for right side of the face, or left for right and right for left.) as in straight shaving? Do you use one edge of the blade for one side or is there two edges just for longer lasting blades?

I know it must sounds stupid questions, but i couldn't find the answers in a tutorial. Thanks all.

Verminisjk

I had these questions at one point.
Most people get in the ballpark of 3-5 shaves but ymmv.
On the hand thing what ever works best for you. I use one had for both sides.
Generally you switch the razor around from pass to pass to get equal wear.
And the only stupid question is one not asked.

I had these questions at one point.
Most people get in the ballpark of 3-5 shaves but ymmv.
On the hand thing what ever works best for you. I use one had for both sides.
Generally you switch the razor around from pass to pass to get equal wear.
And the only stupid question is one not asked.

+1

Welcome to B&B :thumbup1:
as far as knowing when to switch somewhere in between 3-5 you'll know from the shave, definitely pick up a sampler pack of blades to try a variety and find what works best for you http://westcoastshaving.com

good luck

Hello all readers, I'm a newbie in DE shaving and now buying my first one, after my mach 3 turbo i hope i'll enjoy shaving.
Welcome aboard, I'm sure you will, just remember to take your time and perfect your technique
First question, how much shaves do I keep the blades before changing? And how do i know when a blade needs changing?
Completely variable...some folks, like me, tend to only get 3-4, sometimes 5 shaves from a blade, others can get 6-7, depends on blade, your hair type, how often, etc. You (I) know it's time to change when the whisker tend to get pulled instead of cut, after awhile, you'll learn to know when the blade is cutting the hairs or your face...I think a general consensus is about once a week to change the blades, pick a day and change it then, but mostly learn from experience if you need a new blade sooner [/quote]
Do i need to use both hands (left for left side of the face and right for right side of the face, or left for right and right for left.) as in straight shaving?
Completely up to you, I tend to use the same hand, but whatever you're comfortable with, go with it!
Do you use one edge of the blade for one side or is there two edges just for longer lasting blades?
Two edges for two passes between rinses. Here, again, personal preference is king...you can:
Make two passes between rinses, ie use each side of razor then rinse;
Shave left side of face with one edge, right side with the other (may be hard to tell which side is which!);
I tried this a few times with positive results: Use one side for the With The Grain and Across the Grain passes, leaving the other side less used for the Against the Grain passes, it may have been my imagination, but I think it made a difference, but probably not enough to justify trying to keep up with which side is which.
You just have to jump in and try different things, find what suits you, your technique, beard/face type, water type, etc., to find your best setup. I know it sounds daunting right now, but just relax, lather up and enjoy the shave, and all the pieces will fall in place :biggrin1:

Good luck!

One of the great things about D/E Shaving is not paying the high cost of deposable cartridges. I toss a blade after only three shaves, not wanting to take a chance. At about 17 cents a blade I can be a sport and use a new blade. However if I feel any tugging I will toss a blade on the first shave. This happed recently when I tried a Dorco blade for the first time. I currently use Derby’s and they can be found at link below for $16.99 including shipping for 100 blades.

http://www.shavingfactory.com/category_s/3.htm

Thanks a lot for all your reps. I'll be using Merkur HD and Derby extra blades for the beginning, trying my thecnique.

Thanks
Verminisjk

A few more questions: What is the difference between ATG and XTG? and what does BBS means?
And on my right side (Jawline only, both cheeks are N to S), my beard grain is upward (shaving north to south means ATG or XTG wichever it is) and on my left side it is downward (N-S = WTG). I guess I should shave N-S on the left side and S-N on the right side?
I guess I'm not the only one with this pattern, it might even be everyone and I don't know it, but is it common to have a downward grain side and an upward grain side?

Verminisjk

P.S. I'm almost afraid to ask, but what with the shaving creams like gillette I used to use with cartridge razors? would it be good, poor, horrible as a lather for wet shaving, is it out of question or just unrecommanded?

A few more questions: What is the difference between ATG and XTG? and what does BBS means?

Check out the badger and blade wiki page of acronyms. It's very helpful.

ATG = against the grain, XTG = across the grain. If your beard grows straight down, WTG (with the grain) would be shaving straight down, XTG would be left to right or right to left, and ATG would be shaving upwards.

is it common to have a downward grain side and an upward grain side?

I think everyone's beard pattern is individual. No two people have the exact same one, which is why you should get to know yours by feeling your face. :001_smile

P.S. I'm almost afraid to ask, but what with the shaving creams like gillette I used to use with cartridge razors? would it be good, poor, horrible as a lather for wet shaving, is it out of question or just unrecommanded?

It will do, but it won't be the best alternative for several reasons. First, those cans are pretty expensive, compared to how long they last. Second, they don't add any water to your "wet shaving". I would get a cheap soap or cream and a brush instead, but you may want to use up your can of "goo" first. :001_smile

/Nicholas

Top Bottom