What's new

Whats a good first SE?

Well i struck out looking on vaca but the kids were not to keen on looking at junk lol i may just have to order one but i havnt given up the hunt yet.

I'd recommend a 1912, G-Bar, or Injector as well. I'd get the first two, that way you can share blades. The Injector would require you buying another blade system.
BUT, IME (limited as it is), the injector is easier to master. JMO

Curiously, the only injector I've managed to sing for me is the Gillette 'Twinjector' with a regular single blade in. Schicks, PALs, Personnas, all delivered poor and patchy shaves. For me. I love the look of the brushes metal PAL and Personna, and they're the only two that I have kept ... other than the Gillette, which was really a sneer at Schick having already pushed the GII system out.

It's a controversial thing to say, but I see injectors as the first stab at cartridges. I don't see them as part of the single edge experience.

Many many folks get very good shaves from them, so disregard this one chap's experience. I'm odd :D

I feel the same way. But, a part of me would still like to try one. The Fat Boy is my main razor, but I also use others, including 1912's, Wilkinson Sword Empires, Gillette Slim Adjustable, Gillette New Long OC . I would still try a 1912 for the nostalgia and ease of use combination. 1912's are inexpensive, look like art, and are plentiful.

There are different versions?

Yes, there are three different Micromatic models, which were the only Gem TTOs. First, the open comb, which as is widely noted, is a beast of a razor. Next came the Clog-Pruf, which is identical to the OC, but with a solid bar design. Not quite as frightening as the OC, but still a pretty darned aggressive razor. Finally, there is the Bullet Tip, which is a significant re-design, featuring a different, much less aggressive head geometry; the same as used in the later G-Bar. Still a great shaver and well worth having in the rotation if you are an SE fan.

Oh wow. I started off with the Open Comb model I reckon. Surprised it did not turn me off to single edge shaving. Come to think of it, I do remember thinking the first time I used it " Wow that's a lot of blood."

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
my favorite SE's are,

GEM 1912 with a short travel handle. I actually prefer it to the normal short handle.

GEM Push Button It is much lighter than most of the heavier metal GEMs. So it gives a milder shave.

GEM Micromatic Clog- Pruf It is SE razor designed perfection.

GEM Micromatic Open Comb - It's true that this is a very aggressive razor. However, once proper technique is learned, it gives the closest, smoothest shaves comparable to any of the heavier, modern razors such as the R41 and other types. And for a whole lot cheaper!

Well i bit the bullet and ordered one (a SE) My first vintage razor will be a G Bar got it for $18 and change with shipping and IF the pics dont lie its in very good shape.

Well i bit the bullet and ordered one (a SE) My first vintage razor will be a G Bar got it for $18 and change with shipping and IF the pics dont lie its in very good shape.

I think that's a great choice for a first SE. A bit milder than the 1912, it's a very nice shaver. Plus, it's well built and (IMO) really cool looking. Congrats!

Have fun.

I was just up near you last week! My brother retired from the AF. And I happened to bring a Gem Micromatiac with me, the first SE I ever tried. I had no idea it was a beast, but it works well for me. I tried my Gem Featherweight when I got back to Florida, and it was ever better!

Well i struck out looking on vaca but the kids were not to keen on looking at junk lol i may just have to order one but i havnt given up the hunt yet.

I think that's a great choice for a first SE. A bit milder than the 1912, it's a very nice shaver. Plus, it's well built and (IMO) really cool looking. Congrats!

Have fun.
Its handle is also a lot closer to the handles on DE's, which should make the transition a bit easier. Enjoy (but don't forget to try an injector when you're ready for something else).

Oh an injector plus a few other items will be on my Christmas wish list lol @10miler if i had to guess were you around dayton? Wright Patt perhaps.

I love the Air Force museum there its on my list to bring my kids too this year. I used to go every year as a kid.

I love the Air Force museum there its on my list to bring my kids too this year. I used to go every year as a kid.

Yeah, we went to it last time we were up there. Very cool, and hard to believe that such an awesome place is free. We went through the whole place in a couple hours, but could have spent DAYS there is so much stuff.

Have you been to the presidential hangar though? Not near as big, but some cool stuff. Like JFK-Reagan Air Force One, and the Avrocar. Neat stuff.

Been a few years but i also remember a bomber with nose art named the strawberry b+++h in the presidential hangar i wonder if thats still there. but on another note my G=Bar is still in transit grrrrr.

Top Bottom