What's new

Head Shaving . SB or OC?

So have been doing DE shaving for a bit over a year and have always used a SB razor ( Merkur 34c & Futur ). I havent ever used a OC razor before I was wondering if one or the other was better for head shaving? I generally shave my face every day and my head ever other. I shower shave with bowl lather.

I have been wanting to get a new razor and I wondered what other head shavers prefer? does it mater one way or another? I'm used to a SB razor so wondering if I should stay with that. I prefer the longer handle of the Futur over the short 34C.

I was thinking about next month when I have a higher shaving gear budget picking up ether an ATT or iKon DLC. Ether have SB or OC options. I spoke with Stan via email and he recommended an ATT R1.

Although I enjoy an OC razor for my face when I'm desiring an aggressive shave, I've only used a SB razor on my noggin. My favorites being the longer handled Schick Krona or Gillette Knack. My wife always shaves my head and does a fantastic job.

Last edited:
As always YMMV. I have really thick, coarse hair so mild straight bar razors don't work well for me. I need too many passes with them. I have been using the 37c on the dome for about a month with good results. It seems like a reasonable compromise. Since you prefer longer handles, that would be the 39c if you wanted to try it. I just picked up my first NEW LC on the bay last night, so I'll have an opinion on OC soon.

It's OC for me...

The first time I used an OC on my head was with the Old Type. It mowed down a couple of days growth with one pass.

Now I use a NEW LC baseplate/prewar Tech/Kronos handle. Nice and smooth and efficient. And I only use Feather blades on my head. My scalp is tougher than my face.

To add, my OC razor never gets clogged with hair. The SB razor always got clogged and I would have to loosen the cap and rinse through out the shave. Not a problem with the OC.

I've been shaving my head for years with a cart razor. Recently tried using my DE razor to shave my head and it just didn't come out right, plus it takes a long time to shave my head and my face with a DE razor. So, I decided to shave my head in the shower with a cart, then when I get out of the shower I begin my "normal" shave of my face with my DE razor. Is that weird?

I use both, but the open combs are used about 80% of the time.

I find I get smoother shaves on my head with the open combs.

As Djinn stated above the RazoRock Jaws is an inexpensive OC razor to try (it was my 2nd razor), I enjoy the shave sit gives.

I tried a DE, to many nicks.

I happily use a Quatro for 15 days

Use the AOS or Mikes soap I used on my face, my M&F brushes hold enough for 2 1/2 face passes, and 2 head passes, 2nd by braille.

I believe as my face as more give a DE is fine there, my head on the other hand doesn't have as much give so I let the flexible cartridge do that job.

I picked up 98 Quattro cartridges for $100 a few years ago, Got some Fusion 8 packs for $12ea a couple of weeks ago.

A man needs to know his limitations.

I'm like "itsdavetime"....been head shaving for many years and continue to use a cart on the head (Harry's). Use
same prep on head and face and same creams/soaps and brushes. Also, use same AS's and balms on head and face.
But I do love my face shave with a DE and some Barry White Radio via Pandora.

I've been shaving my noggin for 25+ years now. Been using every cart I could get my hands on. Month and a half ago I started DE shaving. Gillette Flare tip or a Gillette 40 style SS with an Astra Platinum blades with no issues. Yeah it takes me longer than with a cart but I like the results a whole lot better.

I shave my noggin twice a week. Muhle r41 and a oc cadet. Both with persona blues. Both with good results with one pass. Sb on my face is ok with wtg and xtg. But the r41 get smooth on top with just one pass. Im getting a Gillette single ring. Its oc cannot wait to see.how she does!

I shave my head too and use an OC the vast majority of the time, they just work better for me.

For high-end stuff, I'd recommend ATT over iKon. Leaving aside the history with iKon, I am decidedly unconvinced by the various coatings that are in vogue at the moment. Also, ATT has a 30 day guarantee so if it's not for you you can return or exchange. Lastly, I have both the iKon Deluxe OC and the ATT SB and OC, and the ATT build quality is better. That's not to say that the iKon isn't nice, it is, but the ATT is nicer. The brushed stainless finish is just gorgeous, and there's no coating to worry about.

OC or SB is up to you, but most of the people who try OC prefer them.

First off, my sincere admiration to Buffalo. An R41 on the head? Amazing. I'd end up in the ER or looking like a motorcycle crash victim.

I use use a Gillette Guard. It's a pseudo open comb single blade cart that doesn't clog and gives me great results. Can't recommend it highly enough for shaving the dome.

I have only been shaving my head for about a month and a half, but I love it! I use a DE safety razor. It's a basic model, pretty cheap. Colonel Conk. Not sure on the model number, and I don't really know what open comb means, but it looks just like the razor my grandpa always used. When I started I cut myself pretty bad a few times, but now I have the angle figured out and rarely get a nick. I do two passes, both ATG, and a clean-up. I used to shave every day, but now I skip a day once a week to give my scalp a rest. Also the shave after the skipped day is so much fun! I always use a brand new blade on that day and the hair practically jumps off my head.

*Edit: I now know that I have a safety bar razor. A lot of terminology and abbreviations I see on this forum are new to me. It'll take some time to learn them all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom