What's new

Straight N00b seeks close shave

I bought a rehab'ed Dovo (plain) off of flea bay, understanding it was a gamble and the promise of "shave ready" was likely a joke. It was of course. There doesn't appear to be any corrosion at the edge and a tiny amount at the toe area that I likely wouldn't be shaving on.

Not sure how committed I was to this venture, I went to Depot and bought a 4 pack of marble 4x12 tiles, and honing film from a place that caters to FO installers. I've been working quite a bit on the blade, but unfortunately, the seller had used a wire wheel to clean up the blade and left some serious marks in the bevel area. I spent what seemed like a lot of time at 15u trying to get the wire edge described in other postings, but never could (even though close inspection seemed to indicate I had created a fresh bevel edge). I repeated the same number of strokes on the other side and moved onto 5u and 3u. I alternated toe trailing so I could see if I was honing out the previous scratches. I haven't taken it to 1u yet, but I did try a first attempt shave (after stropping on canvas and leather). It cut whiskers but was pretty rough and I finished with my DE.

Should my expectation (once I get through 1u and CromOx) be a shave as smooth as my DE? I realise that a close shave is going to be my technique and experience, but this first attempt was a bit on the rough side for regular use.

I have never used film, but for me film to CrOx sound like a formula for a rough shave. I'm sure there are many here who can take that progression to a smooth shave but a beginner might not. As I just stated in another post you might want to finish on 1u pass the edge through some clean soft wood. This will pull off any wire that you definitely don't want. Then two to three light strokes back on the 1u strop and shave. I have successfully done this on edges I over honed going to water on my JNat. I know that is different than film, but an over honed edge creates the wire and it needs to be dealt with. Another idea might be to try some back strokes on the 1u. That can sometimes eliminate the wire but I will still use the wood.

I usually hit 1 um , then 1 um with paper. I then go to crOx for a minimal number of strokes (12 maybe). I get a very smooth and sharp edge. Though I set on 30 or 15 um. Then to 12 then 5,3,1,1.

Should my expectation (once I get through 1u and CromOx) be a shave as smooth as my DE? I realise that a close shave is going to be my technique and experience, but this first attempt was a bit on the rough side for regular use.
My straight razor shaves are closer than my DE shaves. I may have gotten equally close shaves from Feather DE blades, but always with bloodshed. Nicks are much more rare with the straight razor for me. Seems counterintuitive, but that's how it is.

Well, some progress. Using my highest mag lens in a visor style magnifier, I was able to see what looked like little square chips out of the edge. I went back to a 600 diamond to get past these chips, then worked my way through a 1K diamond, and then through the film series (but didn't do the 1u on paper). I leather stropped about 30 passes. I did a wtg and xtg on both cheeks and things went pretty well. Not Gillette/Astra well, but not far back and what might be attributed to technique. I've got a moustache and chin beard so I wasn't challenged there. Neck was tougher and I gave myself a nice case of burn on my left side.

I do notice that straight shaving seems much pickier about lather than a DE.

Last edited:
Top Bottom