What's new

Regripping clubs

Being a do it yourself kinda guy, I have decided to try to re-grip my golf clubs myself. One, I can't find anyone around who does it and two, it doesn't look that hard on the youtube clips I've watched. I have grips on the way, tape and solvent on hand. And an air compressor if I decide to use that method. Before I set out on this endeavor, I thought I would see if anyone here had any good advise. I think I have a pretty good understanding of the HOW to do it, but there are always tricks that aren't in the instructions. Anyone?

I tried the air compressor thing once, and never went back to solvent. Both ways have merit, but the advantage of air is you can take off and put on the same grip indefinitely. I've also never had an air compressor installed grip move at all.

Did you use tape under it? I've seen youtube clips with and without tape, but not sure I trust it without.

I used regular single sided masking tape. I like my grips to be a little bigger and I also stagger the thickness from my top hand to my bottom hand. I also have .580 core size grips as apposed to .600 so that adds a little thickness and helps keep the grip from moving.

I used regular single sided masking tape. I like my grips to be a little bigger and I also stagger the thickness from my top hand to my bottom hand. I also have .580 core size grips as apposed to .600 so that adds a little thickness and helps keep the grip from moving.

These are .600 round midsize grips. I'm a big guy, a standard is a little small for me.

Do you use any wraps now? Are you replacing size for size? The beauty of the air compressor is you can mess around with wraps and not have to cut your grips off each time. Just blow it off, tinker around and see if you like it and blow it back on, if not repeat.

Do you use any wraps now? Are you replacing size for size? The beauty of the air compressor is you can mess around with wraps and not have to cut your grips off each time. Just blow it off, tinker around and see if you like it and blow it back on, if not repeat.

Right now I have standard wraps. I am going up to a midsize.

Right now I have standard wraps. I am going up to a midsize.

By wraps, I mean how many layers of tape you have on the shaft, before you put the grip on. For example, most of my clubs have 2 layers, on the butt end of the club or my left hand ( I swing right handed ) and 4 layers on my right hand ( depending on the diameter of the shaft from irons to woods/hybrids. So you can build the thickness of your grip however you would like.

I apologize for derailing your original question. I would say that of you feel like you're going to tinker with the thickness of your grips, you should definitely go with the air compressor, unless you cant keep the grips from moving on the shaft. If you decide to put them on and live with however they turn out thickness wise, you could do either method.

By wraps, I mean how many layers of tape you have on the shaft, before you put the grip on. For example, most of my clubs have 2 layers, on the butt end of the club or my left hand ( I swing right handed ) and 4 layers on my right hand ( depending on the diameter of the shaft from irons to woods/hybrids. So you can build the thickness of your grip however you would like.

I apologize for derailing your original question. I would say that of you feel like you're going to tinker with the thickness of your grips, you should definitely go with the air compressor, unless you cant keep the grips from moving on the shaft. If you decide to put them on and live with however they turn out thickness wise, you could do either method.

I'm sorry. I play with wraps rather than cords. I'm not sure how much tape is under them. Whatever the last guy that regripped them put there. He has passed on, so I can't go back to them.

In that case, I would put just one layer down and try them out. Going to a midsize is going to give you quite a bit more thickness. Having cord or not doesn't change the way you install it, it's just the material used to make the grip. Some have it, some don't, and some are like mine that have cord on half of the grip.

Here's a hybrid of mine

$IMG_4571_1.jpg

That's what I'll do. If I'm gonna blow them on I can blow them off and change it if I need to, right?

Yes. Just make sure you install them correctly. Meaning, you want them to go on riding a cushion of air, like a hovercraft in relationship to the ground. If the grip touches the shaft and seals to it, you will blow your grip up like a balloon. If you catch it quick enough you won't explode the grip and ruin it.

This is pretty much exactly how I do it. You can even see how well it goes on until about the 2:33 mark where it tries to get stuck. If it would have totally sealed itself, you would have potentially seen it start to blow up like a balloon.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you find that you're having trouble getting them to glide on, you can use a paper towel roll to help and keep the grip from getting to big and splitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I've only ever re-gripped using tape on standard grips. My only change has been going to precut water activated from a roll of solvent activated tape.

Do you have a vise to hold your club? You don't need one, but it makes it easier. I don't have one, so I have to keep the shaft lined up with the grip. Let me know if you run into any problems.

I do. Seems like it should be doable. I'm sure there will be issues when I start. Thanks for all the advise.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've done hundreds of grips, all with solvent. The installs were never the problem, that was getting old green Victory grips off 40 year old Wilson Staffs ..

But, newly installed grips can easily be taken off and re-installed with more or less tape, all you lose is the extra solvent and some tape. I have a tool somewhere from my club tinkering days that slides up under the grip. Experiment with a single club (use your 1 Iron maybe), both to see what size is right and to get a feel for the process of installation and removal. Once you have size & method down you should be able to grip a set in maybe 20 minutes.

That's what I hope. Under 20 minutes, then on to the course! If I keep practicing I'll give Rory a run for his money. In a thousand years.

Top Bottom