What's new

Hobby? Come on guy's

Lifestyle change. It can also become a hobby for those who collect lots of equipment and accessories and toys. But the style of shaving itself is a lifestyle change. A great one too.

The site has brought together various means and methods of doing this quotidian task in the most interesting and painless manner.

The word of the day is quotidian
quo·tid·i·an

/kwōˈtidēən/
adjective

adjective: quotidian

of or occurring every day; daily.

"the car sped noisily off through the quotidian traffic"

•

ordinary or everyday, especially when mundane.

"his story is an achingly human one, mired in quotidian details"

synonyms:

daily, everyday, day-to-day, diurnal More

Call it whatever you like, but this has been the best dang hobby, sickness, disorder, mindset that I've had since building model cars.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I had knee replacement 2 months ago and had a lot of time to read plenty of post. What kind of bothers me is people shaving with a straight or with a DE continue to call it a hobby. I thought collecting coins,stamps etc was a hobby? What we do is a lifestyle change. I mean, am I way offbase or am I right? Your thoughts please.

I use to have but 2 aftershaves. That was a lifestyle change for me. Then I acquired about 10, so I considered it a hobby. Now, I have around 80 aftershaves and have already gotten rid of 10. Now it's more or less a disorder... :)

shaving is a daily need.collecting shave related stuff is a hobby.just today found a os mug ive been hunting to ad to my collection.now just a few more to complete the set.i can only go so far in this collection due the fact they arent making them any more.same way with my gillette collection and ever ready brush and ....

I wouldn't say its a life style change, I shaved before, just a lot less. It seems odd to call shaving a hobby, I say it in my head but never aloud to people, I would get funny looks ha. But I do consider it a hobby, such as hunting for vintage razors, looking for soaps and creams. Totally geeking out and making a chart on how I rate the blades that I have tried. Before I picked up a DE, I never bought grooming products other than hair wax and even then I just grabbed what ever off the shelf.
I fact maybe hobby is the wrong word, its another obsession of mine. My mrs prefers it this way as I now look cleaner and smell better.

I have come to realize that shaving is part of a long-neglected regimen of face/skin care. IOW, shaving is beneficial, and the other stuff (AS, balms, etc.) and 2x/day face washing all works together to better one's appearance/health. And the ritual of shaving is a relaxing, zen-like experience...it's why I have taken to shaving at the end of a day (before an adult beverage and evening meal), ridding my brain of all stress of the day.

A hobby? Maybe...I am getting a collection of lotions/potions and soaps, and am looking to score a 'birthyear" razor before too long. It is interesting to hear/read about all the stuff that's out there to feed the AD...and it will drive you crazy! So...I guess that part is a hobby.

Last edited:
Since I posted here in August, I've modified my thoughts a bit. I don't place as much emphasis on quantity but rather intent.

I like to bake bread and I, and my family, eat that bread. I don't make extra. I will occasionally give away some. I would still call my bread making a hobby because I take great interest and care in it, I don't rely on store bought bread, and I continually experiment. It is the intent behind my bread making that makes it a hobby.

It's not a hobby, it's not a "lifestyle" (hateful word): it's shaving, which as Mario's grandfather reminds us, gentlemen do every day. It's just shaving. The site has brought together various means and methods of doing this quotidian task in the most interesting and painless manner.

Collecting, however, is a hobby. A peek over there on the shaving den thread will show the difference. I have 15 +/- rose and almond soaps and creams, but I am not collecting them. I'm trying to find the one(s) I like best.

Returning to DE wet shaving has given me back a pleasant 20 minutes a day, replacing a dull chore with a pleasurable zen-like moment.

I think this sums it up best for me. I hated shaving up until February of this year. I'm 52 years young and I hated the routine of using canned goo and a cartridge razor. I sometimes would go days without shaving because I hated the terrible shaves I was getting.

Now, since becoming a "wet shaver" and using a DE, shaving brush, soaps, creams and balms, man is it a wonderful change. For me it is certainly a "lifestyle" change. I now love shaving. I look forward to the time spent shaving each day! It's a great way to start my day.

And while for some of you, it has become a hobby, for me it will be always be, just a wonderful way to achieve a great shave. No matter how you classify it, as long as you are getting consistently great shaves, sit back and enjoy the fact that you are a man that gets to enjoy this wonderful grooming routine.

If you shave with one razor, have one bar of shaving soap, a mug, a brush and a towel in order to dry your face, then it is not a hobby.

If you have fifteen razors, trade them, same with brushes, many soaps, after shaves, plus you enjoy restoring DEs or SRs, these all the reason behind you contributing with BB, then it is a hobby.

IMHO, that is.

Top Bottom