What's new

Kitchen Stoves

Which type of kitchen stove do you prefer?

• Gas

• Electric

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've had both. Gas is better, more consistent heat, heats up quicker.

I had gas stoves for years and have a glass top electric stove now as the builder didn't offer gas in my current neighborhood.

Only downside to gas is it is a little bit messier.
Given the choice I'd go with gas every time.

Gas for me. I've had both and prefer the control you have with gas. Plus, down here gas is a lot cheaper than electric.

Old school :

$cooking1.jpg

On a serious note, induction is pretty cool IMO, not all cookware works on it though.

EDIT: In case you want to read a bit about it :

http://www.cooktek.com/benefits-0

Last edited:
I've always had gas stove top and electric ovens and this is what I was taught on at hospitality school.

Induction cooktops have some benefits worth considering and I'll be looking into these when I refit our next kitchen.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have an induction stove and it works really well. It's almost as close than Gas. I find gas to the top of the line but cleaning it is a challenge sometimes. The induction is easy to clean but you need magnetic pots and pans for it to work. That's the main downside. Other than that, it works like a charm!

My inlaws just got induction. If I were to replace my stovetop, that's what I'd get. Very versatile. I have good pots and pans, so they would all work, except my round bottomed wok.

We recently upgraded our kitchen appliances and installed a Jenn-Air electric with a black ceramic cooktop. It gets great reviews, but my wife and I can't figure out why. We hate the thing. It looks great and it heats up and cools down way faster than our older electric cooktop. HOWEVER, cleaning it is an unbelievable nightmare. It requires more attention, supplies and effort than I give to my shaving, and that's a lot! Wish we had gas...

We recently upgraded our kitchen appliances and installed a Jenn-Air electric with a black ceramic cooktop. It gets great reviews, but my wife and I can't figure out why. We hate the thing. It looks great and it heats up and cools down way faster than our older electric cooktop. HOWEVER, cleaning it is an unbelievable nightmare. It requires more attention, supplies and effort than I give to my shaving, and that's a lot! Wish we had gas...

Really? Our GE cleans up like a dream. Super easy.

Ken

My inlaws just got induction. If I were to replace my stovetop, that's what I'd get. Very versatile. I have good pots and pans, so they would all work, except my round bottomed wok.
You can pick up an induction hot-plate for under $100. This one is a good place to start. http://www.amazon.com/Burton-6200-1...urton+6200+deluxe+1800-watt+induction+cooktop

I got an induction cooker (not the one I recommended above, a different brand) and sit it on top of my electric stove with glass top. The only thing I use the stove burners for is to heat up my kettle to make hot water for coffee. All cooking is done on the induction plate with a Lodge 10" skillet.

Really? Our GE cleans up like a dream. Super easy.

Ken
I wish we had known that when we went with Jenn-Air... It's kind of academic now, since the house is on the market and the condo into which we are moving has gas, which we prefer, anyway.

One thing I'd really like to see is a stove with just one large and one small burners. I live alone and cook for one, and I can't ever remember a time in my life that I've ever had to use more than one burner at a time. I'd much rather give that extra space to more counter real-estate, which is something I never seem to have enough of.

My dream kitchen might have a 2-burner induction plate built into the counter. Or maybe even a one-burner induction and one-burner gas. There are some companies like Jenn-air and Wolf that make these, but they are really expensive and involve a lot of customized installations.

I also have no need for a full sized oven. The one I have now is primarily a storage place for pots and pans. A convection toaster oven built into the cabinets would be ideal, so I don't have to waste counter space for that.

Last edited:
My parents had a gas range, but I've had nothing but electric coil and ceramic cooktops for the past 30 years. I still prefer gas, but that hasn't been an option.

I updated my appliances about a decade ago. I'd like to do a full kitchen remodel and go with the electric oven and gas cooktop combination, but that's a few years away.

Top Bottom