What's new

... it's *not* about saving money, is it? ...

Certainly, it started that way. More than a buck a pop for an Atra cartidge struck me as just plain offensive.

So $10 for a used Krona, $1.50 for some Williams soap, $10 for a used BurmaShave mug, and $15 for enough blades to last a half-year or more and we're set.

Ha!

Then it starts. Hmmm, that travel razor looks neat, and I do have that business trip next month. Hmmm, that bar of Conk looks appealing. Hmmm, maybe I should try some preshave wash. Oops, nasty bleeder -- better pick up a styptic at the pharmacy. Hey, our anniversary is coming up, maybe I'll pick up a scented post-shave. Or an aftershave. Or ... .

Sigh ... so it goes.

But I think I'm starting to get it now. 'Cause I am getting a good shave. And it's getting better.

To me, it's not unlike cooking. I can eat an acceptable meal at a restaurant. It'll cost a bit more. But if I put in the effort at home, I know I'm gonna get a better meal 90% of the time, and a better value 99% (or more) of the time.

Thoughts?

Uh oh. The new guy figured it out. What should we do?:biggrin:

Let's see how far he takes it...OBVIOUSLY...he's going to want to upgrade from what is an "Adequate" setup to something a little more efficient...perhaps an easier to use soap, maybe a cream here and there-- possibly he'll want to at least TRY a pre-shave...and then there will be the samples he'll get, and those will be appealing, and the catalogs will start coming...he might get a few of those products--- perhaps a different bowl, or he'll find a nice selection of antique mugs, (Like I did)...and his razor, while nice, might not mind a companion or two in the cabinet...CABINET? CABINET? Why lock this stuff up? Let's DISPLAY it a bit...and of course, a mirror or two, and he'll keep reading about blade sampler packs and then that post where that new boy enjoys that alum block, and we haven't even talked about aftershaves, balms...and for god's sake, FOUNTAIN PENS!!!

(Let's just hope he doesn't somehow discover Ebay!)

Let's see how far he takes it...OBVIOUSLY...he's going to want to upgrade from what is an "Adequate" setup to something a little more efficient...perhaps an easier to use soap, maybe a cream here and there-- possibly he'll want to at least TRY a pre-shave...and then there will be the samples he'll get, and those will be appealing, and the catalogs will start coming...he might get a few of those products--- perhaps a different bowl, or he'll find a nice selection of antique mugs, (Like I did)...and his razor, while nice, might not mind a companion or two in the cabinet...CABINET? CABINET? Why lock this stuff up? Let's DISPLAY it a bit...and of course, a mirror or two, and he'll keep reading about blade sampler packs and then that post where that new boy enjoys that alum block, and we haven't even talked about aftershaves, balms...and for god's sake, FOUNTAIN PENS!!!

(Let's just hope he doesn't somehow discover Ebay!)

Remember that RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!

Marty

:lol::lol: I joined up with the idea of a £50 maximum outlay for gear and only occasional costs for blades, and to be set for life with shaving. I soon learned the BST and ebay would throw me straight into a downward spiral of varying expensive and pleasurable ADs

Its amazing! I was trying out my '73 Gillette Adjustable Slim with a derby blade this morning using the SCS Oakmoss Lavendula cream enjoying how smooth everything was going. Then, I had that exact same thought. Also, being a new guy I am not sure where the foutain pens fit in, but I am going to find out. :001_smile

My thoughts? I'm not going to buy filet mignon every time I want a piece of meat because it's just too expensive and I want it to remain an exception so it's even more enjoyable when I do have it. If what I cook at home is better than what they can serve me at a restaurant 90% of the time, I consider it a win.

Buying random ingredients that catch my fancy every now and then is ok, but I'd better be damn sure what I'm going to do with them. That's a rough paraphrase of my wife on the purchase of tamarind, rice flour, whole squid, and azuki beans. :tongue: The point is, I think it's fun to get new stuff, but you run the risk of it becoming habit rather than something to look forward to.

Well, for my first post i think this is a fititng thread. I just recieved my Merkur HD coupled with a chrome stand a badger brush (from Amazon). Already bought a blade sampler pack and my razor came with a bunch of sampler pouches of various goo's. I know what im getting into, and its most definetley not going to be a cheap endeavor. Oh well, dive in head first.

... Let's just hope he doesn't somehow discover Ebay!)
Where do you think I got my Schick Krona from? :wink:
(And before it was razors, it was guitars. And before guitars, it was 35mm Nikon cameras & lenses. As far as AD's go, this shaving thing is relatively benign.)

My thoughts? I'm not going to buy filet mignon every time I want a piece of meat because it's just too expensive and I want it to remain an exception so it's even more enjoyable when I do have it. If what I cook at home is better than what they can serve me at a restaurant 90% of the time, I consider it a win.

Buying random ingredients that catch my fancy every now and then is ok, but I'd better be damn sure what I'm going to do with them. That's a rough paraphrase of my wife on the purchase of tamarind, rice flour, whole squid, and azuki beans. :tongue: The point is, I think it's fun to get new stuff, but you run the risk of it becoming habit rather than something to look forward to.

As regards the cooking analogy, YMMV. I'm a former short-order cook who can do pretty neat stuff in the kitchen at low cost, and fine dinners if I've a budget to spend.

An illustrative story:

Six years ago, SWMBO picked up our boy from kindergarten. They were kibitzing.

She to him: "I love you more than chocolate."
He to her: "I love you more than Daddy's cooking."

No words could have made a father more proud. :redface:

As regards the cooking analogy, YMMV. I'm a former short-order cook who can do pretty neat stuff in the kitchen at low cost, and fine dinners if I've a budget to spend.

An illustrative story:

Six years ago, SWMBO picked up our boy from kindergarten. They were kibitzing.

She to him: "I love you more than chocolate."
He to her: "I love you more than Daddy's cooking."

No words could have made a father more proud. :redface:

That's a great story. Definitely worthy of pride. :biggrin:

And as always, YMMV when it comes to the stuff we do here.

I actually think it can successfully be about the money. The keys for success on this path:

1- Start with a fairly mild blade that most agree are good for beginners. Avoid Merkurs, Feathers, and the like

2- Buy a brush, a cream, and a soap, and a razor.

3- Don't buy anything else for six months.

Most newbies tend to go on a buying spree, hoping that next new thing will give them their magic shave. It won't. DE shaving takes more skill than cartridge shaving, and many folks want to get even closer than they can with a cartridge. This takes time, not things.

Go with the standard cycle....

Buy, buy, buy....decide what you like > perfect your technique > unload what you don't use > move on to straights or something else..

I'm back at buy.....lol

DE/straight/wet shaving can be a money saver if shaving isn't a hobby, which it is for most B&B members. I think it is fair to assume that most of us get a kick out of trying new products and enjoy the "ritual" of our shaving hobby. Also, I do believe that a shaver does need to spend some initial upfront cash trying out different shaving items, such as razors, blades, soaps, creams, etc to find their "go to" setup.

That being said, I still strongly feel that DE shaving can be much cheaper than cartridge shaving (note: I don't use a straight, so I am personally not sure if it is cheaper. I am sure it could/can be). I can easily get a year's worth of good quality razor blades and soap for less than $30. There is no way I could purchase a years worth of canned goo and cartridges for less than $30. Note, this assumes that I am shaving every day.

My 2 cents ...

Sure we are saving money! We stock up like crazy with blades, soaps, creams, etc., until we have a lifetime supply. That way we beat the inflationary spiral because we know the prices will go up in the future!

Oh wait....

There's that new aftershave that came out. And there's some new scents in my favorite line of soaps...

gee...

Top Bottom