What's new

I've got a few projects to do.

It's been over half a year since I restored any shaving brushes, but that hasn't stopped me from accumulating brushes for future work, mostly from local flea markets and antique shops. The most I've paid for any of these was $5.00/each. I find I have to do this work when the weather is nice since SWMBO has forbidden me from grinding out knots indoors. I have to agree with her...the stench of ancient boar or badger hair being attacked by power tools is pretty gross.

Here's the six I currently have waiting for me to get off my backside and get busy:

$Brushes.jpg

Top Left: Ever-Ready 150, Black and Ivory
Top Center: Whiting-Adams "Vulcan" 3274, Black and Ivory
Top Right: Rubberset 200-2, Black and Ivory
Bottom Left: Ever-Ready, Green and Black (no model #)
Bottom Center: Ever-Ready 250D, Hexagonal, Clear Lucite with Black Cavity
Bottom Right: Opal, Square,Clear Lucite with Black Cavity

Last edited:
Fan of black and white, huh? :)

I never used to think the Rubberset 200 looked practical, but the more I see.....

It's been over half a year since I restored any shaving brushes, but that hasn't stopped me from accumulating brushes for future work, mostly from local flea markets and antique shops. The most I've paid for any of these was $5.00/each. I find I have to do this work when the weather is nice since SWMBO has forbidden me from grinding out knots indoors. I have to agree with her...the stench of ancient boar or badger hair being attacked by power tools is pretty gross.

Here's the six I currently have waiting for me to get off my backside and get busy:

View attachment 480149

Top Left: Ever-Ready 150, Black and Ivory
Top Center: Whiting-Adams "Vulcan" 3274, Black and Ivory
Top Right: Rubberset 200-2, Black and Ivory
Bottom Left: Ever-Ready, Green and Black (no model #)
Bottom Center: Ever-Ready 250D, Hexagonal, Clear Lucite with Black Cavity
Bottom Right: Opal, Square,Clear Lucite with Black Cavity

Hey Larry can you post a pic of that Whiting-Adams by itself?

All cleaned out and polished up. I still need to paint the inside of the Lucite handles. The knots should be arriving soon. After I get them fitted and plugged in, the last thing will be to fill in the engravings with white paint and give them a final polish.

$IMG_1807.jpg

Got them done Yet!
Not yet...we had house guests for the last four days, so I didn't get a chance to work on them. I did test fit them all earlier...I had to bore out a couple, but otherwise the diameters are set. Now I need to build up the shelves, probably with coins and corks, since I completely removed the old shelves on all the handles except the Lucite pair. It won't be long now! :laugh:

Finally buckled down and finished installing the knots. The photos are pre-bloom. I'll give them a good cleaning and de-funking over the weekend and then they'll be good to go. Then I'll have to decide which ones I want to keep and which ones will have to find a new home!

I'm pretty pleased with all of them. The Virginia Sheng knots were a very pleasant surprise and I won't hesitate to use them in the future.

$IMG_1823.jpg

$IMG_1822.jpg

Top Bottom