What's new

Home Canning - 2014 Edition

Well I got started with the summer canning this past weekend. It wasn't much, just 5 pints of green beans, but it was a nice warm up for what is to come. It wasn't like I had all that many beans, but they were just getting ahead of us.

Later this week I'll be doing some pickles and something tomato based, probably marinara sauce.

My wife has canned 16 quarts of green beans, and we will probably can some pickled corn pretty soon. Will do tomato juice later as well. We'd like to can some peaches too, if we could find a bushel of good ones close by for a decent price.

We put up a bushel of beans two weeks ago along with some plum chutney (it's ageing for at least another month before we break a seal). Still on the agenda pear chutney when our tree-full is ripe. Running low on pulled pork, only 4 pints left, so we'll be watching for pork shoulders and butts on sale.

We usually preserve apple jelly and strawberry rhubarb pie filling from the garden. Our loquat started producing this year and made a jelly out of that too.

Top Bottom