What's new

How to cut a JNat

Let's assume I wanted to cut a piece from a JNat I wanted to use as Tomo. What would you do it with? Dremel has a cutting disc for tiles and such. Will it do the job? How much of I risk cracking the stone when doing this? Any other advices?

I use a diamond wheel on an angle grinder. Wear eye protection and a respirator.Ive also done it with the hacksaw and carbide blade, they both work.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I use a hacksaw with the same blade that HeeS linked. I start on the top, go down about 1/4 inch then do the same on the bottom-this seems to help with flaking.

Carbide blade on hacksaw, put two layers of duct tape along intended path to be cut. Chamfer edges after you cut it.

A tile saw is the perfect solution if you have one. Basically a diamond blade on a sliding table with water coolant. I have one and will do the cut if you mark it. Later, Denny

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
A tile saw will cut it for sure. I think it's much less risky with a hacksaw and carbide blade though. I use the hacksaw on jnats- tile saw on everything else.

Tile saw would be my first choice. Angle grinder with a diamond blade second. Ive cuts lots of tomos of different hardnesses etc and only delaminated one with the hacksaw. If a stone has lots of skin and fissures its pot luck anyway as anything is possible especially when some skin is close to the top surface of the stone. I mark where Im cutting and always start on the top, I then cut from the back especially if there hard kawa there till the 2 cuts meet. The breakthrough point would be the middle. I think this would be the safest place as there is less of a chance of the stone splitting when you pass through. No promises and Im not a pro stone cutter but this has worked for me very well. You can get a dry diamond blade at HD or Harbor Freight for an angle grinder for under 10 bucks. I clamp the stone to a wood bench with 2 clamps, I use thin wood between the stone and clamp. As I said, a respirator and eye protection is a must. 2 hands nice and easy. Once you start the cut, its a piece of cake.

The more vibrations and heat in the mix - the greater the incidence of catastrophic failures.
A fissure in a stone may never ever run, unless you **** it off. And when it runs, it can take the stone out if it's having a bad day.
sometimes you can cut right through a fissure and it doesn't budge.
Other times - all you need to do is bump the stone in the sink and - ziiiiiiiiiip...instant Tomo farm.
Yet - about a week ago - I took one corner off a stone with a hammer.

I've cut hundreds of stones in my life. Literally. If I add up the Jnats I've cut over the years - it's not an inconsequential number. But compared to the rest of what I've sliced up - it's a minor portion of the bigger picture.
Jnats are fissly stones - they are not like Arks or Thuris or whatever. Fissly stones can be like poodles on crack when they the go under the saw.

Our Jnats take one helluva a beating during the first couple of phases of shaping. At the top of the hill, miners will tap them and chip at them to make sure (as best possible) that they're not about the truck hundreds of pounds of unstable stone down the hill.
Adding to those stresses isn't anything I want to be doing unless I have seriously good reason to not be mindful of the stone's reality.

Sometimes though - the thought of hacksawing through 1.5" of hard-arse Oozuku just seems insane.

Hi Gentlemen,

I have got me a candidate for cutting, will do it in future by water jet, it´s not expensive.
I´am little worried about the first layers splitting off when being cut, they sound hallow.
Let´s see, looking forward to post pictures when successful.
Reason is, the long middle line is annoying, I knew it before but was to lazy to do it.
Also it´s a crazy hard stone and needs a tomo nagura.

Greetings

ruben

$IMG_0190.jpg$IMG_0189.jpg

Last edited:
If the jnat is softer , not hard as glass you can actualy cut it on the bandsaw I cut tomos from 3 softer jnats on my small bandsaw .
Slowly off coarse .
You can also use dremmel with a small diamond cuting disc Or cicular saw with thin saw , for ceramic tales for example

Last edited:
Angle grinder with thin diamond wheel. Fast. Let the speed of the tool do the work so no pressure. Eye protection and rated mask for the dust.

You 'can' cut stone many ways.
The first time a stone turns to pebbles in your hands though....ouch.
If you don't care about the stone, it's a big whatever. But don't be fooled by success on a cheap stone.
Mother Nature has a really odd sense of humor. If the stone has value, tread cautiously.

Hi Gentlemen,

brought my Okudo suita to the water cutter.
He was shure it will break, but I wanted to risk it.
I had a long discussion and he was convinced it will fail.
Two days later he called me and said it worked out but it behaved strange when beeing cut.
It took me long time to decide how it should be cut, 2 cuts were made.
The idea was to hit the wire line not directly, but on the left side, so that it stands still on the narrow part of the stone and can be removed by takeing off the edge.
Second cut should clear off the wire from the brought part of the stone.
It was a full success.
And the strange thing is that the water beam took off the the sharp edges.
The guy said he never saw this before and showed me a piece of marble were the edge was left very sharp.
So it saved me lot effort and was just chill, 0 work left for me :001_cool:.
I´am happy so far.

Greetings

ruben

$IMG_0194.jpg$IMG_0195.jpg$IMG_0197.jpg

Top Bottom