What's new

How Often Do You Change the Oil in Your Car?

I have an older car, a 1999, and I just realized it's been nearly five months and and 5,000 miles since I changed it. I use a synthetic and change it myself but used to have someone else do it. I was curious what other members do as far as oil changes go.

1. Do you change the oil yourself or take it somewhere?
2. Do you have a newer car or an older car? I would classify newer as 2009 or younger.
3. Do you a traditional or synthetic oil?
4. Do you use mileage or time to determine when to change the oil and how often?

Last edited:
1. Take it to a garage or fast lube place
2. Older - 1996 Taurus with 188,000+ miles
3. Traditional
4. More time - every 3-4 months. I only drive this car about 8,500 miles per year
5. See #4

I have a motorbike. I don't do oil changes myself anymore. My bike is from 2008 and I ride almost daily. Factory oil change schedule is 4000 miles (6000 km). Since I do 12000 miles per year, I have the oil changed every 6000 miles. My motorcycle mechanic recommends a semisynthetic for my bike.

1- It depends. I change the filters ( oil, gasoline and air) every other oil change. When I only change the oil I do it at home. The next time I'll take it to the mechanic to change all the filters too. I could do it but I am lazy.

2- 1999 Hyundai Coupe

3- Always synthetic, engine oil is one of those things one shouldn't try to save money on.

4- Kms ... :tongue_smThe oil manufacturer says it is good for 20.000 Kms, I change it every 10.000. This answers #5 too. This happens twice, maximum thrice a year.

Hope it helps.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I just change cars when it's time for an oil change.

My newest car runs a full synthetic that's supposed to have a ridiculous lifespan, but I'm not buying it.

Do the inhabitants of larger countries drive longer distances? Or isn't there a clear relationship?

(small country here, and I ride between 12k and 15k miles per year)

Do the inhabitants of larger countries drive longer distances? Or isn't there a clear relationship?

(small country here, and I ride between 12k and 15k miles per year)

The American folks take the plane as we take the bus or the metro here in Europe ... :lol:

1. Changed my own oil, all my life.
2. Older vehicle (2000)
3. I use a high mileage blend.
4. My vehicle counts engine revolutions and gives me a change oil light. I generally use that as an indicator unless I'm driving in a really dirty environment, for an extended period of time.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I change the oil myself on mine and the Mrs cars. Both are older models
2001 VX Holden Commodore & a 2006 Mazda 6.
I do it every 6 Months which is approx. 7500k's/4600miles for my driving and use synthetic oil.

The money I save in paying for someone else to do this job is spent on quality oil.

I have a classic that I do work on myself as a hobby.

I also have a new car that I let the dealer take care of as everything in it
is computerized.

Oil ?
I fixed my car now.

$11415-cars-220x165.jpg

$quick-car-fix.jpg

Last edited:
I take my 2013 to a garage (used to work there) for the oil changes. Solves the problem of dealing with used oil and filters. I use full synthetic and change it as the computer dictates, which is approximately every 5,000 miles. My 1996 pickup also goes to the garage, but only at 3,000 or 12 month intervals (whichever is sooner)(I don't drive it a lot). In the pickup I have just started using synthetic. I have switched to full synthetic because of quicker engine lubrication on start-up.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I have an older car, a 1999, and I just realized it's been nearly five months and and 5,000 miles since I changed it. I use a synthetic and change it myself but used to have someone else do it. I was curious what other members do as far as oil changes go.

1. Do you change the oil yourself or take it somewhere? (Our local Toyota dealer)
2. Do you have a newer car or an older car? I would classify newer as 2009 or younger. (2013 Toyota Tundra SR-5 Crew Cab [TSS Off-Road edition, 4X2])
3. Do you a traditional or synthetic oil? (synthetic oil)
4. Do you use mileage or time to determine when to change the oil and how often? (every 5K miles)
James:
My answers are above;

attachment.php

proxy.php
"Let's Go Places". Toyota Slogan

Top Bottom