What's new

Sam Smith Chocolate, anyone?

Hi Alex, thanks for the info. I'm on the search for my holy grail, something I could enjoy regularly. Chocolate and beer sounds like a cool mix so I had to try it. Still sitting in the fridge, LOL. Thanks again.

Steve

I've never had it...

but re: finding your "holy grail". What kinds of beers do you like. Are you looking for a special beer, or an everyday drinker? A lot of the more "special" (high abv, seasonal release, special flavors etc) come in bombers or 750mL bottles.

Also, where are you in Ohio? Hoppin Frog brewery out of Akron makes some darn good beers. I know they age one of their stouts in used bourbon barrels at least once a year for a limited release.

Hi there, i don't care for hoppy, bitter beers, I prefer smooth, non-bitter. I catch a lot of you know what from my beer drinking friend because i kind of like Jw Dundees honey brown, LOL. I also had this and thought it was pretty good:

But, again, my beer connoisseur friend says it's mass produced, and sub-par.

I'm near Cleveland, Ohio, by the way. Thanks again.

Steve

Last edited:
I wouldn't spit it out :001_smile but I prefer Young's or Rogue chocolate stout. If this is the style beer you like (I do), then I suggest you try a number of stouts and porters. Anchor porter and Founders porter are readily available and represent that style well. I suggest you also try a coffee stout and an oatmeal stout, or a few of each.:thumbup1: If you want a dark beer that isn't bitter for summer New Belgium 1554 "Enlightened Black Ale" is excellent.

I really like their Oatmeal Stout. I'm not usually a fan of sweet beers, if I want something a little sweeter I'd probably go with something like Shorts Peaches and Creme instead.

Everything made by Samuel Smith is awesome! Try the Taddy Porter or the 100 point Yorkshire Stingo.

I just had the Organic Apricot Ale and it's pretty awesome. Like a cross between a cider and a beer. Just sour enough to keep it from being too sweet.

I love chocolate beer done right! I recently brewed up some chocolate cayenne stout, and it came out fantastic. It's been a long time since I've had a beloved Sammy Smith (my first foray into craft brews 15+ years ago), and now I just have to try their chocolate stout. Nothing from that brewery can turn out bad, in my opinion.

Try it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, makes for a great float! Souther Tier has some pretty nice dessert stouts, the Creme Brule in particular is quite nice (though so rich I can't drink many). Ommegang has some nice chocolate stouts as well.

For my money stouts are the best of the beer lot for savoring on a special occasion. I know the belgian styles get a lot of love but the high alcohol content and the sharp flavor limit my enjoyment versus a good stout or porter.

I've enjoyed just about everything I've sampled from Samuel Smith, including the chocolate stout. I'm particularly partial to the oatmeal stout, but the chocolate is a nice change of pace on a lazy evening. I think of it as dessert.

Ok, you guys have me pretty psyched to enjoy this. Maybe this Friday I'll partake of this sweet nectar.

steve

Top Bottom