What's new

Help identifying my first SE razor?

Popped into the local antique store today after getting my haircut, and while they didn't have anything I hadn't already seen there before, they did have this Ever-Ready I've been eyeballing for a while. Finally bit the bullet today, because why the heck not. Paid $20 for it.

$uploadfromtaptalk1407005846795.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1407005856422.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1407005864090.jpg

Seems to be in pretty great shape, save for a couple tiny rust spots on either side of the comb, right inside what I assume the edge of the blade is supposed to rest on. Couldn't really get a good non-blurry shot of it, due to my phone being my camera, and I've got the 3 cups of coffee and no food shakes right now.

My knowledge of SE razors is approximately zilch, so I'd love some help identifying this thing! Honestly, it was the handle that sold me. It's so purdy.

Edit: I see now that on the underside of the head, right near the handle is says "Pat'd 1912“ so I'm guessing this must be a 1912 model I've seen mentioned. Anything else that would further help identify it? Were there multiple types of 1912 razors?

Last edited:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
You are correct, British made Ever Ready "1912". That is a fine example, congratulations. They look just like the American made.

It uses a standard SE blade. Just make sure that the blade is sitting on the blade stops before you close it and you'll be set for a fine shave!

J

That's a nice Ever-Ready. Load it up and shave away. be sure to get shaving SE blades and not those for paint scrapers at hardware stores.

It uses a standard SE blade. Just make sure that the blade is sitting on the blade stops before you close it and you'll be set for a fine shave!

J

That's a nice Ever-Ready. Load it up and shave away. be sure to get shaving SE blades and not those for paint scrapers at hardware stores.
It may be some time before I'm able to use this, as I am without blades at the moment. I've never seen SE blades for sale around here, at least not for shaving, and none of the online vendors I usually use seem to stock them.

Ah well, it looks nice, at least.

Check your local pharmacy. If you can't find them, I'll mail you a couple to tide you over.
That's a wonderful offer, I think I'd like to take you up on that, thanks! I checked a few of the usual suspects around here and came up empty. All we have anywhere around here are 10-packs of Wilkinson DE blades for $10 D: not the greatest selection I'm afraid.

Do NOT use the blades in hardward stores used for scraping windows. Get blades specified for shaving. (They look the same, but don't perform the same.)

Keep the angle of the blade to your face shallow (maybe 5 degrees off your face) and use light pressure with gentle motions as if you were using a straight razor. Keep the lather thick to reduce the chance of cuts. Once you get the feel of it you'll like it. Give yourself extra time the first few shaves, and go sideways under the nose. Give us a report on how it went.

... Just make sure that the blade is sitting on the blade stops before you close it and you'll be set for a fine shave!

J
+1,000!!! I didn't know that the first time I tried a SE razor and cut my face to ribbons. :blushing:

Also, with SE's, angle seems to be everything. Start with the top of the cap flat against your face and then increase the angle only slightly til you feel the blade starting to cut. Then leave it at that angle.

Top Bottom