What's new

Let's see those #14's

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409464165.235432.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409464174.534625.jpg

More of my 14's

What's a 14?

They are blanks that are typically 14/16 with spine it brings them closer to 15/16 or 8/8 with a #14 stamped on the blade

There's some controversy whether they were all made by the same forge then sold to different companies or it was a marketing thing for a company to make or have one made for them... Also controversial is whether they are all the same steel or different.. Most are very hollow ground and I have found very few that are bad shavers .... What I find interesting in the controversy is filarmonica makes a 13 and a 12 but you don't see that for other companies doing the same so maybe they came from the same place but filarmonica definitely sourced them all from the same place.. Just for them...

There are many companies that make a 14 and all those companies do not reside in the same country... Mostly Germany and Spain and very few on French razors like le grelots (but le grelot used steel from Sheffield, solingen, and I think Swedish) ... also the 14 appears in different fonts and different orientations

They are very collectible and are very large so they hold their value well....

This

A recent purchase I made from a member of another forum. Really a fantastic razor. Love it!!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 212
Okay. I was looking at a filly that's a 14. Seller states 7/8; which is close.... Or possibly mis measured. Just trying to justify spending $200....

Okay. I was looking at a filly that's a 14. Seller states 7/8; which is close.... Or possibly mis measured. Just trying to justify spending $200....

Depends how it's measured. From top of spine to edge a new filly 14 is about 25-26mm, the 14/16 (7/8) is measured from the fattest past of the spine where it gets hone wear to the edge.

Here's a 14 I sold a few years back. I REALLY miss this razor. I have never seen another like it. Doesn't fit the typical 14 profile. Wish I had that Escher back too. Finest thuri I have ever touched.

15/16 Rich Abr Herder El Principe. Restore by Joe Edison

Here's another 14 I had.

Jośe Lopez Sevilla it was 7/8 if I remember correctly. The original Palmera company if I understand correctly.

Super bummed out about this Fili. I took a gamble on this one and couldn't be more disappointed when it showed up. The pics were taken outside so tarnish on the gold wash and the staining on the back really shows up. The back cleaned up quite a bit with just Maas. I am debating doing a little hand sanding and getting down to the clean metal. It's a 7/8" and despite the staining on back it took a great edge and shaved quite well. It would be a shame for it to rot away in my cabinet as is so I'm debating selling it or trading to someone who would put some more restore work into it and get it to stand out.

$0905140951.jpg$0905140951a.jpg$0905140951b.jpg

Here's a 14 I sold a few years back. I REALLY miss this razor. I have never seen another like it. Doesn't fit the typical 14 profile. Wish I had that Escher back too. Finest thuri I have ever touched.

15/16 Rich Abr Herder El Principe. Restore by Joe Edison

I actually spent some time trying to track that one down a while back. The search, to my disappointment, dead-ended with an owner who is banned from the "other" forum.

Top Bottom