What's new

Beard Oil

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
That's the one, Jason. It's an exceptional product - and I really enjoy the scent. It's strong enough to boast impressive staying power, but at no point is overly obnoxious. My close second is Mr. Natty's beard elixir. Penhaligons is really the standard though, once you get accustomed to it, it really feels like a step down to use anything else. Perhaps I'm biased.

Thanks Joel!
I'll have to add it to the list.

I forgot to say that i have tried coconut oil on my beard. But i didn't like it that much. The scent was nice, but i didn't like the oily feeling.

Lately, i've been lathering up even on days that i don't shave. Seems to be working.

I just ordered a 1oz bottle of Grave Before Shave Bay Rum. Hope I like it for that price. And hope SWMBO doesn't find out...

I use a mix of castor oil and extra-virgin olive oil on my goatee. I add a few drops of lemon essential oil to it and it gives it a nice smell. I generally use it at night so that my skin doesn't get flaky and use a conditioner in the morning to take out the excess oil. I used to have a lot of beard-ruff but that has gone away. They also say castor oil can darken hair, but unfortunately the gray is still coming through.

I use the David Mallett Beard Balm which is a creamy balm with a nice and light scent… unfortunately I am no good at describing fragrances. The hairs are softened and left with a pleasant touch. I can second Toothpick about Wild Rose, though I never tried their beard conditioners, their ointment and spray for tattoo healing / aftercare are awesome so I assume it is a safe bet.

I got my Grave Before Shave beard oil in and love it. It doesn't smell anything like bay rum to me. It has a coconut scent. Either way though, I like it very much, and my beard is softer than it's ever been after just 2 days. I'm sold on beard oil.

I use Lucky Tiger 3 Purpose Oil on my circle beard and it works well. I have to make sure I wash it on the same schedule as my head hair and comb it regularly.

I picked some up at our farmers market, since I was out. I find I can use a little less than with the grave before shave. Some friends of mine have started making their own (when I priced it out, it would be much cheaper per unit, but a fairly large initial investment). I'll probably collect the stuff I need for next time and go this route.

Been reading this with some interest as I just decided to try some beard oil. I have a short (not stubble) full, gray/wiry beard, that I keep carefully trimmed; probably 40 plus years at this point. Was told by a dermatologist not to use shampoo on your face as the skin on the scalp is different and typical shampoos are NG for the face.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of Honest Amish products (beard soap, balm and wax). The scent isn't the best, but fades eventually and the stuff does the job. I decided to do a 'yeard' and grow my beard for about a year last October. It kept all this in check, even on the bike.

At about six months:
$MotoBeard.png

Last edited:
I'm still liking the one I picked up, but the scent isn't quite to my liking. Sandalwood, but has a heavy vanilla component I don't like, and it clashes with too many of my usual colognes...

Top Bottom