What's new

Muhle R41

Well, my wife just got back from visiting family in Germany 2 days ago. While we were unpacking she presented me with my new Muhle. It only cost $44 over there so I was super excited about that. I shaved with it today…very close shave! It maybe too soon to tell, but I think I'm an R41 convert!

It's the 2013

Great DE razor.
On of the best in my view.

Don't pay too much attention to the "aggressiveness" hype for this model.
Handled with the proper attention that any DE razor deserves, this razor gives wonderfully smooth and comfortable shaves - in my case with Feather DE blades.

But just in case you should find the open case version too aggressive for your taste; Mühle will sell you a closed comb head as a replacement part.

I have a 2013 R41 on the way.

I tried the 2011 back when I first started wet shaving, and didn't like it much.

I never cut myself with it but found it rough and uncomfortable to use.

I'm hoping that my technique is enough better now that I can get along with the 2013.

I have been using a Merkur Slant for almost 2 years now, and the has given me better shaves in less passes. Being military we must shave every morning, but lately with the slant I haven't been getting as close. Just used my R41 again today, man its a close shave.

I have a 2013 R41 on the way.

I tried the 2011 back when I first started wet shaving, and didn't like it much.

I never cut myself with it but found it rough and uncomfortable to use.

I'm hoping that my technique is enough better now that I can get along with the 2013.

IMO, you are the perfect candidate for the R41-13, which significantly reduced the roughness of the 2011. Of corse, it is still quite the beast ...

Try here:
muehle-shaving.com > Traditional > Equipment

This is a fairly recent addition and I am not sure whether any online shops in North America carry the Mühle open and closed razor heads yet.

Oh ... I know they sell the heads separately. But if I understood correctly you said they will replace the R41 head for a R89 if you don't get along with the beast ... That is the part I wasn't aware of ...

Well...I bought the latest model R41 about 2 weeks ago, more for the curiosity of how this will perform on my face. Based on all the various posts out there...I couldn't help feel a little intimidated by the razor...it looks like this model seems to be the most (i won't say aggressive), but more requiring a skilled hand and technique.

So I tried it myself and followed the same approach as my other DE razor. I used an Astra Platinum blade. On first pass (WTG), I seemed to be "ok" but could feel more blade on my face that normal..and I guess that is expected with this model.

Where I really started to feel discomfort (burning sensation) was on the 2'nd pass (ATG).

After rinsing off and putting balm on my face, i truly felt a burning sensation for most of the day and a little into the next..

I'm trying to determine if it might have been my technique (ie: was using 30 degree angle, light pressure, good lather cream etc etc)

Would like some thoughts/feedback.

I bought the latest model R41 ...it looks like this model seems to be the most (i won't say aggressive), but more requiring a skilled hand and technique.

Where I really started to feel discomfort (burning sensation) was on the 2'nd pass (ATG).

Would like some thoughts/feedback.

2013 year built R41 is rated as the 2nd most aggressive razor in the B&B community (check the Wiki link on top), the 1st been the 2011 year R41.

With that said, it's all about experience, time and technique with this razor. I don't know how many other DE razors you've tried and how long you've been DE shaving but this might not be the best razor to try without time under your belt.

If you do not have a lot of time with a DE razor, I suggest getting a replacement base plate for the 89 model and re-use your R41's top plate and handle. It will become one of the milder razors and give you time to get your skill perfected, maybe even try a few other razors in between before trying the R41 head again.

Top Bottom