What's new

Have hone will sharpen

Where does a fellow advertise his sharpening services around here? I've been sharpening straight razors for 3 years now and would like to be put on any list as a person who will do sharpens. Thanks.

There is no such list at this time. You really have to earn a reputation before people will recommend your services to others, which will take a lot of time. The amount of time that you have been sharpening razors does not matter so much as the number of razors that you have sharpened and the quality of the edges that you consistently put on the edges. I would recommend posting here more often in the straight razor section, and if people feel that you really know what you are talking about then maybe they will let you send them a razor to sharpen. After enough people are very happy with the work that you do then maybe people will start to recommend your services. There are already several very well respected honemeisters who have been here for a long time so you really have to be very good for someone to recommend you. Another option for building a repution is to sell "shave ready" razors for really good prices and ask the buyers to comment on the quality of the edges. If you just want to offer a honing service then you are in tough because there is a lot of tough competition.

David

I will second the shave ready avenue: if you do ebay restores and sell em for a good price, the work will be there for you. These forums are hot, when it comes to selling shave ready razors Flanny. It's a great way to build a rep fast.

+1 to what the guys said above.

An additional factor in all of this, particularly your case, is post count. I do not mean to suggest that a low post count denotes an untrustworthy or unskilled individual. However, speaking from personal experience, I often look to the person's post count, among other criteria, on this and other such sites when deciding to whom I may send my blades. Chances are if I haven't heard your services praised anywhere and your post count is low and I have not met you personally I will not send you a $100+ piece of steel to sharpen.
If you participate in the community however there are plenty of gents whose signatures boast something to the effect of "Personal honing services offered at reasonable prices, PM me for details". This way, the more posts you make the more chances you have to get your name out there. But in the end you need to start somewhere, somehow.

-Michael

Top Bottom