What's new

Nib Acquisitions August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Carene seems to enjoy Iroshizuku inks...just sayin'! :001_cool:

I can only imagine.

I was going to get a bottle of Waterman. I liked the look of blue-black, but it looks way too close to modern Parker Quink blue-black, which I already have a bottle of.

ETA: Inspired Blue looks very close to like Lamy Turquoise, and Serenity Blue looks exactly like Pelikan Royal Blue. So maybe I don't need another bottle of ink yet, unless there's a reason not to use any of those three.

Last edited:
Should have a Pilot Metal Falcon SF in burgundy early next week. Bought the resin one via amazon, but it was a bit too light for my tastes and wanted something a hair tougher to keep in my shirt pocket at work. That, and I can fit a Con70 in the metal vs the blasted Con50 in the resin.

My vintage pens are back from Danny fudge at The Write Pen - hooray!

$IMG_9090.jpg$IMG_9091.jpg

Red Eversharp Symphony (?) - Danny replaced the nib with a very fine, very flexible nib. It's wonderful. The two lines in the lower left corner of photo #2 are with the same nib - the top line is with minimal pressure, the bottom line is with moderate pressure. It's . . . darn nice. Rouge Hematite ink (sample).

Gold Wahl with a Mabie Todd flex nib - refurbished and working now. I haven't filled it yet.

Quick question - is there an easy, reversible way to prevent the bar that slides onto the lever (for lever fill pens) so that it doesn't slide up and down if you pick up the pen? The bar inside the Wahl is attached, but still slides back and forth. Rubber cement?

Waterman in brown - unfortunately, the section is glued on and Danny couldn't repair it. I'm not sure what to do with it, besides either simply having it as a display pen for a collection or trying to use brute force and potentially damage the pen.

I also have some vials of blues and browns, including Florida Blue and Turquoise. Ought to be fun!

Nice looking pens, Teppanyaki! I'm looking forward to seeing a writing sample from the Wahl/Todd "Frankenpen". Too bad about the brown Waterman. If Danny can't fix it then there's not much hope. I'd be tempted to harvest it for parts. There's a good cap, nib, feed, probably a J-bar/pressure bar that can all be salvaged and eventually used elsewhere or sold/traded.

James, what is the dealio with the Visconti? My broad nib is buttery smooth...liking it thus far.
Im liking it, to me the M nib on it is huge, im so used to my Japanese FMs and F's its been a while since I have had a nib this big lol. I have to remember to write larger then normal, but man It may be a steel nib, but it is smooth as any nib I own. And that metal grip I was worried about is a non issue, it is very comfortable to hold and use, and looks great to. I like it enough I would certainly like to add another visconti to my collection in the furture

Im liking it, to me the M nib on it is huge, im so used to my Japanese FMs and F's its been a while since I have had a nib this big lol. I have to remember to write larger then normal, but man It may be a steel nib, but it is smooth as any nib I own. And that metal grip I was worried about is a non issue, it is very comfortable to hold and use, and looks great to. I like it enough I would certainly like to add another visconti to my collection in the furture

Wait until you try one of the Dream Touch Nibs!

Picked up a couple of bottles of ink from an Australian manufacturer.

Looks pretty good, can't wait to give it a try.

$SAM_0210.JPG

Picked up a used Kaweco AL Sport for cheap. It has a fine nib. It arrived writing really dry.

I could see where someone new to fountain pens would be disappointed with this pen. It arrived writing really dry, and wasn't much fun to use.

I pulled the nib and feed out, worked on them a bit, and now it writes just like I like, wet. In fact, it really writes fantastic now.

I think Kaweco would do themselves a service by tweaking these nibs to write better right out of the box, since I view the Sport as more of an entry level pen, and a newb probably wouldn't know how to tweak the setup on his or her own. I fear this could turn some off if this was his or her first fountain pen purchase. Maybe this explains why I got his pen for less than half price(shipping included and in mint condition)

Obviously, this pen is small, but when posted it is a very nice size. The nib has a bit of spring to it too. The metal body gives it a nice weight (which I like).

It came with a couple of the converters; they do not hold a ton of ink, but being the owner of a Pilot VP, I am used to that. I think the complaint about these converters must come from folks who like to go awhile without having to refill a pen (I like to rotate my pens rather quickly, so it doesn't bother me)

$20140819_100239.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom