What's new

Proraso White Review:

Well this will be my last review of Proraso's shaving products and it's not good. I'll give it 2 out of 5 stars and I won't be buying any of their products ever again which includes their aftershaves and balms. Last week I ordered alot of stuff from both Shavenation and westcoastshaving.com and I'm 1 for 4 out of Proraso's products:

This soap only comes in a form of a puck which is strike 1. The blue only came in a tube which is why it didn't get the best rating either:

Here's the ingredients list:

The soap itself has a medium level of softness, but tends to be somewhat easy to load. You do need to use hot water to get it to load up into your brush and I loaded alot more than I normally would. Here's a photo of the cream before I lathered it which I took about a week ago:

The smell was good. When you open it you'll get a wiff of some fresh made oatmeal that has a bit of green tea coming through and trying to over power the oat scent, but just can't quite over power the oat smell. It's a scent that's well balanced IMO. This is what I started with in terms of loading product onto my brush and I kept going from their until I got the cosistency I wanted:

^ At first it was hard to build a lather that has the yogurt consistency that I was looking for, so I added a little more hot water and soap until I got what I wanted. Here's a photo of what I got before I kept adding more product:

^ That wasn't quite good enough so I added more product and worked it a little more:

^ This still wasn't good enough so added so more product along with a little bit more and then finally I got what I was looking for:

^ I'm not afraid to add more product or anything to get the consistency I want for a good shave, but when I have to load my brush completely to get a decent lather and get the consistency of what I wanted through out the entire shave, then I can say that the performance is just not there. Here's the sweet spot of the soap itself:

^ You must use hot water (coffee pot strength) to get to this sweet spot that allows the soap to be loaded properly. The last lather photo was taken after 4 passes. The cushioning ability was ok, but there was no slickness at all. The scent also didn't last to long once you began to build lather either. The post shave felt ok, but it can be alot better. Suprisingly this soap was not on the thirsty side. It does leave an excessive amount of white residue after the shave. Here's what it looks like when it's just starting to form:

^ This occurred within 2 minutes after rinsing and after about 10 minutes, my stainless steel bowl and Edwin Jagger DE 89 were solid white. I did have a photo of it, but it got deleted while I was uploading it. Sorry about that because I know you guys have brought up the white residue in other threads and no one has really taken a picture of it. So I'll upload one the next chance I get. Once I finish this soap off that's it. No more Proraso for me. 1 out of 4 for the shaving creams (the blue is the best one to get) and soaps and I don't want to try any of their aftershave or other pre-shave products. I tried the green pre & post shave cream but it's only good as a post shave cream instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bummer, man! Pass it on! there's gonna be something better than Proraso for you. Give Mitchell's Wool Fat a try for a super slick creamy lather that provides plenty of cushion. I'm sure many will chime in on other suggestions.

It was my first soap and i will always hold it dear. Artisan soaps i have acquired of course outperform circles around it but that scent will always be remembered. I dab on the preshave every now and then

Bummer, man! Pass it on! there's gonna be something better than Proraso for you. Give Mitchell's Wool Fat a try for a super slick creamy lather that provides plenty of cushion. I'm sure many will chime in on other suggestions.

Yeah they're on that ultra long list that seems to keep growing. Stirling soaps out of Texas is on that list. But up next is Synergy/HTGAM soaps. I've been wanting to try them since I returned to DE shaving 6 months ago. Mitchell's wool fat seems to do pretty good in the youtube videos. I'll give Proraso an "A" for effort because they are alot better than your usual super market and pharmacy stuff but they're for beginners. After you try a really good artisan soap, you usually don't go back to the stuff you first started with.

Last edited:
I also thought about making my own shaving soaps. I've already found a supplier that's suprisingly reasonable on most of their stuff.

It was my first soap and i will always hold it dear. Artisan soaps i have acquired of course outperform circles around it but that scent will always be remembered. I dab on the preshave every now and then

Yep. Once you get some experience under your belt and try other stuff, the first one hardly ever gets used and usually other stuff out performs it. The scent was great.

I cold water shave with it and have no problems with loading and lather. White is my go to when I have to chill out a bit especially after using the beast R41. Sorry it didn't work out for you

Yep. Once you get some experience under your belt and try other stuff, the first one hardly ever gets used and usually other stuff out performs it. The scent was great.

I disagree wholeheartedly! While I haven't tried the Proraso white, Proraso red (which I learned on) is one of my all time favorites! I have a pretty decent collection of artisan soaps and Red is always in the mix...just more proof that it's all subjective...

I cold water shave with it and have no problems with loading and lather. White is my go to when I have to chill out a bit especially after using the beast R41. Sorry it didn't work out for you

We all have that "go to" shave product and right now mine is TOBS' All Natural Cream. But there's some others I want to try. Proraso is just not for me or my own personal tastes anymore.

I disagree wholeheartedly! While I haven't tried the Proraso white, Proraso red (which I learned on) is one of my all time favorites! I have a pretty decent collection of artisan soaps and Red is always in the mix...just more proof that it's all subjective...

The red had the best scent of them all, but it tore me a new one. The green took double the product just to get going and you seen what I had to do just to get the white going and the amount of residue it left behind was epic. Out of Proraso's 4 formulas I tried, only one is worth buying again and that was the blue formula. In reguards to "go to" stuff we all have one and right now mine is TOBS' All Natural formula. I'm sorry dude, but Proraso is mainly for beginners and people who have just returned to traditional/wet shaving.

Sorry to hear abou your Proraso failure. I use the Proraso white and red soaps. Both work very well for me and lather up easy as anything else. I get outstanding shaves from both. I've never had the white residue issue either. I guess that's what makes this hobby such a subjective experience. I have plenty of other soaps like everyone else here at B&B and there are occasional experiences where I can't get a highly regarded soap to work for me. For example, I cannot get Stirling soaps to work for me. I know it's a stellar product but it just doesn't work for me. I plan on trying again though, eventually. There's always another product to try...

I'm no longer a beginner and I still enjoy Proraso products. Sorry none of them worked for you though. I'm sure we all have soaps that work for others but don't work for us.

You mention the residue, may I ask, do you have hard water? I'm a soap maker and I find that most of the soaps that I've used (almost 50) leave residue in my (black) sink, including my own. I'm curious why this had any effect on the actual shaving qualities of the soap. It is annoying in that it demands that I wash my sink after a shave, but is there something I'm missing? I thought heavy costal scum was a result of hard water.

Last edited:
Thx for your review and sorry it didn't work for you.
ive used Proraso white a couple times in past few weeks and had excellent shave experiences each time.
each time lathered just fine, with good glide and slickness.
actually like the light oat mentholated scent. and the white aftershave balm is nice.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 394
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 393

I have the green, white and red.... and I can say I agree with you on the red, I think it's brilliant and it will stay in the rotation. Since the reformulation... I don't like green or white. I used them both for a few year before the change and always loved them. I've been disappointed ever since. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Sorry to hear abou your Proraso failure. I use the Proraso white and red soaps. Both work very well for me and lather up easy as anything else. I get outstanding shaves from both. I've never had the white residue issue either. I guess that's what makes this hobby such a subjective experience. I have plenty of other soaps like everyone else here at B&B and there are occasional experiences where I can't get a highly regarded soap to work for me. For example, I cannot get Stirling soaps to work for me. I know it's a stellar product but it just doesn't work for me. I plan on trying again though, eventually. There's always another product to try...

Exactly. The Proraso Red was really good in all areas, but the slickness just wasn't there for me and with it being a thirsty soap, a preshave product is almost rendered usless. I tried it 2 weeks in a row and I still had the same results.

I'm no longer a beginner and I still enjoy Proraso products. Sorry none of them worked for you though. I'm sure we all have soaps that work for others but don't work for us. You mention the residue, may I ask, do you have hard water? I'm a soap maker and I find that most of the soaps that I've used (almost 50) leave residue in my (black) sink, including my own. I'm curious why this had any effect on the actual shaving qualities of the soap. It is annoying in that it demands that I wash my sink after a shave, but is there something I'm missing? I thought heavy costal scum was a result of hard water.

I have medium to soft water. The product itself was easy to load up, but it took alot more effort to build a decent lather. This was the only soap that they make that left an excessive amount of white residue. The red done really good in terms of performance, but my sensitive skin was the buzz killer. The point I'm trying to make is that while alot of people do like Proraso's products and yes they do have some good ones. However after trying an artisan soap and then going back to Proraso, alot of the stuff they do make doesn't stay in the rotation. The blue and the red formulas are the exception to that rule.

Thx for your review and sorry it didn't work for you.
ive used Proraso white a couple times in past few weeks and had excellent shave experiences each time.
each time lathered just fine, with good glide and slickness.
actually like the light oat mentholated scent. and the white aftershave balm is nice.

Yeah I'm a little disappointed with the white formula's performance. If they hadn't decided to re-formulate their products, then I'd probably be singing a different tune all together because I'm not the only one that seems to be disappointed since the re-formulation. The red would've been great if my sensitive skin didn't kill the experience. That and it was a bit too thirsty for most preshave products with the exception to their own.

I have the green, white and red.... and I can say I agree with you on the red, I think it's brilliant and it will stay in the rotation. Since the reformulation... I don't like green or white. I used them both for a few year before the change and always loved them. I've been disappointed ever since. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

I would've loved the red if I didn't have a bad reaction to it. The slickness wasn't there with it, but I could've used a pre shave product if it wasn't too thirsty. Proraso's preshave stuff held up better than alot of the other stuff that's out there. Based apon the reviews that I read before purchasing Proraso's products, alot of people seemed to and still love the blue and the red the best since they were reformulated. The green pre and post shave cream isn't the best in the world, but I'm on my 2nd container of it. The funny thing about that is the fact that the pre & post shave cream has a better menthol feel than the actual shave cream does. Here's some throwback photos of the red:

Here's the ingredients list:

They used to put this little brochure in the box, but they've since quit doing that. I didn't get anything with the stuff I recently ordered:

^ This stuff right here was really good in all areas but it was extremely thirsty which rendered preshave products useless with the exception to their own pre and post shave creams. Those actually held up pretty good. The cushioning ability was extremely good, but it did lack the slickness that I like hence the pre and post shave cream which actually helped it in the slickness dept. What killed it for me on the red formula was within 10 minutes of use, my face was on fire and within 15 minutes I had a sunburn type of a rash that looked like it was on the verge of sun poisoning. I'm not saying Proraso is just for beginners, but it tends to be recomended and geared towards beginners the most. My guess is that if they feel that a customer tries one of their products and it performs to their liking and then they try something that isn't quite up to snuff, is that they'll be back because Proraso does have good consistency.

Last edited:
I've used the blue and green creams over the past year, rotated with DRH Marlborough. The blue was the worst of them for me, with the least slickness or protection for my face. The green has been fine. It doesn't perform as well as the DRH for me, but it works ok with my blade and razor choices, and I like the menthol sensation.

Sorry Proraso products didn't work for you. Don't let it get you too worked up. It's just shaving, man. :)

Not all of their products are bad. Here's another product that they make that I did use alot of and yes it does stay in my rotation:

^ This little jar of goodness lasted 3 months and it has saved my face from getting tore all to pieces with some of the products out there and it does have a really nice cooling and soothing affect to it. This will also stay in my rotation. I've since ordered another jar of it and have started using it. This right here is my favorite Proraso combination:

I like the blue and I'll tolerate the scent because it performs really well. I don't really care to much liquorish type of scents.

Last edited:
As I've already said, I like and use Proraso products. That said, I think you did more than many of us in giving the product line a fair shot. You gave a very fair review that gives potential Proraso product purchasers (try saying that line ten times...) some preliminary information when making a consumer decision.

As I've already said, I like and use Proraso products. That said, I think you did more than many of us in giving the product line a fair shot. You gave a very fair review that gives potential Proraso product purchasers (try saying that line ten times...) some preliminary information when making a consumer decision.

Thanks. Most people just give it a description and that's it while some do youtube videos (Nick Shaves is one of the best) I do forum and blog reviews with photos. Oh let's throw a monkey wrench into the works. Italian Barber has another formula of Proraso. Say hello to the Yellow formula:

http://www.italianbarber.com/proraso-yellow-nourishing-regenerating-shaving-foam-travel

^ it only comes in a travel size foam though.

Yeah. I saw that earlier. How's the water where you live? I have soft water and I load Proraso with a very wet brush. It's pretty messy by the time I'm face lathering, but I get nice lathers with white, green and red tubs. Actually, if I had a rough shave the day before, which still happens every now and then, I resort to my Proraso lineup (or Cella, but I've run out and need to use up some other inventory).

And...I also watch Nick Shaves vids. He does an excellent job at giving detailed and fair assessments regarding the products he uses.

At first I thought this was one of those TIC, sarcastic posts, but then I read on...huh, whatthe, uh, say what? A true case of YMMV, I guess. Personally, I've loved all the Proraso products I've tried and look forward to trying them all. Lather explodes for me in hard and soft cold water. Haven't noticed the film you speak of. That said, thanks for sharing your experience!

Top Bottom