What's new

Going to get a Kami

Thinking- actually definitely going to get a Kami. Wondered who hones them on here? What to look for/avoid? I'm not gonna break the bank, likely take a gamble on a ebay Kami. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Good luck on your search. I'm interested in the responses as I'll probably pick one up in the near future.

Kamis are tricky to buy, shave with and to hone, but if you enjoy straight shaving, then it's a must do. Some of the guys on here pick it up right away and others, like me, struggle. I still love my Kami, I'm just no good with it.

If you don't mind buying a few that may not pan out, go the eBay route. It's risky, but the market seems to have been flooded over the last 6 months and the prices have come down. You may find yourself with one, however, that has been worn beyond useable. A very safe, but less interesting, route is buying one from aframestokyo.com or off the BST from a reputable member. Then you know you've got a good one.

As for honing, I send mine to Bayamontate and have been happy with the results. You need super sharp for Kamis and Nelson knows how to get that done. He is also an excellent source for information on how to shave with them.

Please post your results once you get one and try it. And remember, a thread without pics is useless.

Ok- I ordered a Kamisori from SRD. They had both sizes of Iwasaki Kamisori's in stock. I ordered the smaller of the two, Iwasaki Kamisori-1
It is new and comes shave ready. I've not ordered a straight from SRD, so I'm not sure exactly how their shave ready fares. I'd image they do a good job. There is a large learning curve here, but I'm ready to ease back into straights and using the kamisori and work on technique. I'll likely set this aside while working on straights. Then grab it once I feel better about my shaves with straights. I know these don't come up for sale new that often, so I went ahead and purchased it. I'll post some pics once received and update my straight journey. Seems I have some work ahead of me, but I'm determined to make it work this time.

Thanks everyone for their comments and input.

Top Bottom