What's new

Best way to score Pappy Van Winkle at retail price?

Its borderline impossible. If you are an extremely good customer for a local shop, and the manager is willing to save some for you and sell it at MSRP, thats essentially the only way. Most places don't get any, and recently the places that have gotten it, at least in CA, a lot of store managers, buyers, etc have bought it for themselves to either enjoy or sell at an inflated price.

I think the 15 year is decent, at MSRP. I had some of the 23 a couple years ago and it was ok, but I wouldn't pay $300 for a bottle of it even if it was readily available.

If you really like the stuff then its worth trying, just don't get your hopes up too high. If you've just heard the hype, its mainly that: hype. It gets way more attention than it deserves in my honest opinion.

It's not impossible, but it is highly improbable. You pretty much have to know someone at a store that is lucky enough to get a shipment. I scored a bottle last Thanksgiving (at MSRP), but only got the shot at it because the manager appreciated my business from other purchases.

And you know the bad part? I still can't tell you how it compares to anything else because I haven't found an occasion "special" enough to break the seal.

There are truly great bourbons out there that would surpass Pappy in flavor and value, but sometimes the fun is in the chase. I wouldn't have paid the money that others would, but to each their own.

Heard an interesting story on NPR yesterday.
Apparently a lot of the micro-distilleries that have popped up are just rebranding some mass produced whiskey from Indiana.

No sure about pappy van winkle but WhistlePig was mentioned by name.

It's not impossible, but it is highly improbable. You pretty much have to know someone at a store that is lucky enough to get a shipment. I scored a bottle last Thanksgiving (at MSRP), but only got the shot at it because the manager appreciated my business from other purchases.

And you know the bad part? I still can't tell you how it compares to anything else because I haven't found an occasion "special" enough to break the seal.

There are truly great bourbons out there that would surpass Pappy in flavor and value, but sometimes the fun is in the chase. I wouldn't have paid the money that others would, but to each their own.

What? It's Friday!!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Marry someone who owns a liquor store!

I cannot see it happening on its own. Too much hype surrounding it.

I'm not a whiskey drinker and couldn't give a hoot about Pappy, but my brother called one day and asked if "my sources" could get a hold of some. I don't know the exact moment in time when my older brother started to assume I was an underworld operative, but I did what I could for him.

Called one of my closest friends who owns a very large package store in the Northeast. He carries an enormous selection of high end wines, spirits and literally hundreds (maybe over a thousand by now??) different beers. When I told him what my brother was looking for, he literally broke into laughter. Told me he doesn't even bother ordering it anymore. If his distributor has some, he just sends it to him and my friend pays the bill, but he never knows if or when he'll get it. Plus, he gets such tiny quantiities (1-3 bottles), that it's meaningless to him as a businessman.

He says the vast bulk of it goes to restaurants and bars where the markup would make a crooked senator blush. They're really not interested in selling bottles and prefer the hype of exclusivity. He had no comment on the quality of the hooch, but based on my old experience in the wine business, I'm guessing that it's all a bunch of hype as well. After a certain price point, very few wines justify their price compared to what else is available. Don't know why that would be different with spirits.

I thought the main problem now is the heist a couple of years ago. I can't remember how much is missing but I asked a large package store owner when I was in Louisville if they ever found it. He said sadly, "no".

He says the vast bulk of it goes to restaurants and bars where the markup would make a crooked senator blush.

I have developed a good relationship with the General Manager of one of the largest Wine and Spirits in my area. He has gotten me some Weller 12 and Elmer T. Lee which have both gotten scarce. He is trying to find me some Pappy, but the supply is very limited. He echoed some of the information on here. the 15 year old is still reasonable and maybe worth the price. The 23 year old is tremendously overpriced.

He also says a lot of the Pappy goes to Vegas where they charge very inflated prices just for a shot.

I'll just say this - Pappy Van Winkle is outstanding bourbon... period. Whether or not it's worth the price, or whether or not there are better bourbon's out there for the $, is an entirely different story.

Heard an interesting story on NPR yesterday.
Apparently a lot of the micro-distilleries that have popped up are just rebranding some mass produced whiskey from Indiana.

No sure about pappy van winkle but WhistlePig was mentioned by name.

Here's the article you're looking for: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...bly-from-a-factory-distillery-in-indiana.html . Very disappointing. Pappy is actually just a recipe now, made at Buffalo Trace. Like anything in life, there is a cost benefit analysis for Pappy. For me, it's just not there.

I still have around a quarter bottle of the 20yo, maybe a half bottle of 15yo, and a half bottle of the 12yo Reserve B.

Pappy's is a very nice bourbon that is both adored and maligned for its hype and difficulty to locate. Though I have a contact where I may be able to get a bottle or two when they ship in November, I didn't even make the call last year, as I find it a little too bandwagon-y these days.

W.L. Weller 12yo is the same mashbill from the same distillery as PVW; it is NOT, however, stored in the same (presumably primo) location in the barrel warehouse. I've done a side by side with between the Weller 12yo and PVW 12yo and could taste/smell a slight difference, but only slight. Not worth the trouble, to me.

There are SO many excellent whiskies out there. My regulars are Evan Williams Single Barrel, Four Roses Single Barrel, and Rittenhouse BIB Rye (what can I say? I like bourbons with rye in the mashbill, which may explain my indifference to PVW).

That said, it's hard not to pursue the white whale.

My remaining 20yo and 12yo are going to be consumed at the law offices of the attorneys that successfully defended my wife in a three year lawsuit (we were granted the motion at trial to dismiss all claims as a matter of law once the plaintiff had rested its case) that ended last week. Can't wait to do that.

Top Bottom