What's new

Sensitive Skin Sufferers Look Here

I've really been struggling with my shaves lately. I've been questioning if DE shaving was for me. I've been using either a EJ DE89L or a Weber razor most of the time. I have been using a DE for roughly 6 months, shaving usually every other day. I'd always get that 'just shaved' feel and I wasn't truly feeling like I was getting great shaves, but that has recently changed...

Now I'm getting a lot better shaves than I was a few weeks ago. What has changed? A very mild razor. Which razor? A Gillette Tech. A lot of people talk about how mild the EJ DE89L, but let me tell you, the Gillette Tech is even milder, and it has made a huge difference in my shaves. Now I would say I have very sensitive skin, the kind of sensitive skin where I'm not able to go against the grain or even across the grain without getting irritation. Now with the EJ DE89L and the Weber razor I would always be getting some kind of pulling, and I've tried a lot of different blades. With my Gillette Tech, for some reason I don't get as much pulling which is fantastic. I usually only do 2 passes with the grain and touchups, and that's enough for me. My goal isn't to get BBS, it is mainly to get irritation free, comfortable shaves. The only downfall of a very mild razor is that I've had to do a little more touching up than I usually would have with say my EJ DE89L, but that isn't a big deal.

If you're a guy with sensitive skin and you've been struggling like I did, give some vintage Gillette razors a try. Even something like a flare-tip or superspeed shave similar to Techs in my understanding. I've bought a good amount of soaps and creams to help with my sensitive skin, but in the end, if you are using an aggressive razor, a soap or a cream isn't going to change it that much IMO. It feels like I'm starting over in a sense because now I get to try all of my blades all over again, as well as all my soaps and creams.

I've definitely learned a lot from browsing these forums, so I'd like to say thank you to all those who have helped me out. There is definitely a lot more for me to learn and experiment with (the fun is just beginning), but I feel this is a small victory for me.

Last edited:
The Tech is what made me love a very mild razor. The even lighter weight Gillette Rubie (modern Tech), has been a wonderful shaver for me. And despite what people say about a using a really sharp blade with it, I find the opposite works for me. [/B][/I]

Last edited by a moderator:
Pre-War Tech with an Astra SP is my daily driver. I can shave fast, with no irritation, and get an excellent shave.

Never, ever, discount the basic Tech, it can give a fine shave in quick time!!!

With my skin and being prone to bumps I might have to give the tech a spin. I have just started using the SA short

I've been using my pre-war Tech, a Shark stainless blade, and MWF for the past couple of weeks. I've never got better shaves than I do with this combo. I was using a Muhle R89 before that, and thought I loved it. ZERO neck irritation with this combo.

I also have sensitive skin. Not when it comes to soap and after shave, but going ATG or XTG. I always shave two passes, north to south. Blade buffing on the second pass.

1973 Tech with an 80mm Ikon Bulldog and an Astra SP blade... my daily shave gear.
Enjoy your Tech--smart move.

$IMG_1792 (2).jpg

I started with a Gillette Tech Ball in February 2014. It consistently gives excellent mild shaves. I subsequently added a Gillette Super Speed (antique store $6), and later an EJ DE8911. These latter two also give great results. I would love to expand my inventory in the future via antique stores, garage sales, estate sales, etc. I would love to get an old comb type razor, but will wait for the 'right find and the right time', opportunity.

There's a good reason why Gillette sold like a zillion Tech's over the years. They give you a great shave at a great price.

Tech (and clones) are the only SB razors I have been able to shave with (without getting irritation). A bigger gap between the blade and the bar will cause irritation if you have a bit more coarse beard. This is the problem with DE89.

The other option (which I took) was to go OC.

I honestly have never understood the appeal of aggressive razors. For me they just irritate my face and feel like I'm shaving with a broken bottle. I don't even get a closer shave....

My goal isn't to get BBS, it is mainly to get irritation free, comfortable shaves.

You're a wise man, Justin.

As someone who is highly prone to irritation, I can't help but agree with your post. Some will always prefer more aggressive razors, but my razor search ended when I found a pristine Tech:

$IMG_0194 - reduced.jpg

Top Bottom