What's new

New acquisition in need of repair.

So last week I was thrilled to find a SA Black Beauty at a local flea market. $5 out the door! It was dirty and the TTO didn't function properly, so I went through the basic cleanup and gave it a mineral oil soak. The TTO function was stiff, and one silo doors wouldn't open all the way. I assumed I hadn't cleaned it well, but upon closer inspection, I noticed the damage to the side "hinge" of the head that I didn't see in my initial excitement of the purchase. It is preventing the silo door from opening (metal on metal keeping it from opening).
I assume it was dropped or crushed somehow. I think I could "delicately" bend the pieces back together to try and realign the side piece (what is the proper name for this part?).
The adjustment works perfectly, but there is a significant blade gap between sides, which I assume is associated with the damage. If it isn't fixed when I do initial repairs, I'll try other fixes.
I thought I'd ask for the wisdom of the forum before I went about trying to fix this myself. So what do you all think is the best way to fix this? I have an old black handle SS i can use for parts if I need to replace the side door, but I know nothing about disassemble. I'm also willing to send it to be repaired, but I need references! Thanks everyone!

$IMG_0793.jpg$IMG_0794.jpg$IMG_0791.jpg

$IMG_0792.jpg

I don't want t say your screwed...

But...

You can find some threads on disassembly and that may be your best bet. I would think you will have a hard time fixing that assembled. Take things slow and gentle is all I can say.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the reply! I was afraid that I might be SoL. There is some hope, though. For five bucks, I don't mind putting some work into it. If anyone has links, please share!

For 5 dollars, you can afford to operate on it. I wouldn't take it apart any more than taking the doors off. See if you can carefully pop the side covers off, with a small screwdriver or pliers wrapped in electrical tape. You can then take some Good, not worn out, needle nose pliers(wrapped in tape), an carefully straighten the bent items. If you cannot get enough pressure(not torque) on the bent parts, to straighten them, then take a pair of small vise grips, wrapped in electrical tape and apply a little pressure. Just take your time and don't get frustrated. It looks like it can be fixed, to a usable state, the side doors might be history, but they can be acquired from another trashed razor. If this was a family heirloom, I wouldn't touch it, but send it to Razor Emporium. They do good work on damaged razors.

Thanks Dalton and BSA! I knew I'd get some advice from the forums! I have an old black handle SS I can use for parts, if needed. Good thing I have tomorrow off work!

Alright Scoundrel, since the photos didn't work via PM, I figured I'd post em up in your thread so you can see em. As you can see, the repair went smooth, as mentioned. The one silo door was bowed out on the black beauty and the head was tweaked a little. It now has a smooth operation and somewhat of a consistent blade gap. Spared the SS as well after robbing parts. Check it out:
$uploadfromtaptalk1407907934244.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1407907945704.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1407907956514.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1407907973160.jpg

Wow, all things considered that looks amazing! If it's in shave ready condition with basically even blade gap, it's a fantastic repair and $5 well spent. I wasn't sure this one would make it.

So awesome to see the Beauty wasn't DoA! A HUGE thanks to the Captain for his time and expertise on the repair and cleanup! It worked out better than I had hoped possible, and even salvaged the organ donor SS! I can wait to try out my first adjustable!
Thank you Captain, a million times!

Top Bottom