What's new

Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Have any of you enjoyed this scent? From what I hear it's very popular, and a good addition to the den.

I'm not picking it up, my girlfriend is. She's insisting I wear this around.

Sickly sweet and cloying for my liking, however most ladies I know enjoy it.

I would tread with trepidation on this one. Due to its popularity every male teenager used this along with Cool Water and sprayed in on with a crop duster hence the 'cheesiness' vibe.

As always YMMV.

When it first came out it was very good. Now it's different.

Wear it if YOU like it, otherwise don't.

I tried it when it first came out but can't imagine wearing it now unless it's in aftershave strength.

Chris

I bought a 2.5 oz bottle of Le Male 5-6 years back because some of the men's magazines (GQ/Esquire) had this on one of their best frags list. The GF at the time loved the smell (and that's what counts I guess), I on the other hand was just kind of "meh" about it. It's just way too sweet smelling for me.

Since then it's been sitting in the linen closet with the other orphaned frags gathering dust. I could see someone in their 20's or early 30's rocking this in their Fall/Winter rotation. As for myself I've just moved on to other scents.

Good thing is that it's been around since the mid '90s so you can find it fairly cheap if you want to check it out.

Last edited:
It's one of those that's considered a "game changer" for the frag community in general. Never tried the original -smelled it but never actually was willing to try it on my skin - not my kind of frag. Got a sample of one of the flankers.... one spray... still not my thing.

It's ok. A bit one dimensional. Hardly a signature workday scent though & I think most would soon get bored.

Sickly sweet and cloying for my liking, however most ladies I know enjoy it.

I would tread with trepidation on this one. Due to its popularity every male teenager used this along with Cool Water and sprayed in on with a crop duster hence the 'cheesiness' vibe.

As always YMMV.

The precise impression I got. Wanted to confirm it here, because, well, I trust you cats a lot more.

It's one of those that's considered a "game changer" for the frag community in general. Never tried the original -smelled it but never actually was willing to try it on my skin - not my kind of frag. Got a sample of one of the flankers.... one spray... still not my thing.

Even though it wasn't for me, it's one of the most iconic bottles out there.

I have an almost full bottle taking up space in my cabinet. SWMBO bought it for me. It has a fine layer of dust...

My wife hates it, so I hardly ever wear it. There are better alternatives that do what Le Male does better. Reflection Man by Amouage is one.

I'll echo what's already been said. When I bought it roughly 10 years ago (I'm 32), it was a game changer, no one had it and it was a smell all my own. Now every kid alive owns it and it's a waste.

i was once approached by a good looking woman selling this at a gas station parking lot, she said "jean paul, makes the panties fall".

I got it when it was new. I still use it occasionally but it's to heavy for office use. The only woman I met that doesn't like it is my wife. It has happened several times that other women have come up to me insisting to get a closer smell. Hmm I believe I just realised why the love of my life dislikes it.

Last edited:
Don't know that the word of a women "selling" cologne and at a gas station to boot would have been the trigger puller

Thanks for bumping the thread, PD! I can't honestly give a full appraisal of my motivations behind my response as it was a month ago, but your implications seem to the point. Some scents I wear because I like them and I don't care about what people think. A simple exercise in confidence I'd go so far as to say.

Last edited:
Top Bottom