What's new

Uneven honing

Hi Gents,

Ive got a couple of razors which have some uneven hone wear. One has literally no bevel at the heel and yet a full bevel at the toe.

Can anyone give me any pointers on how to resolve the problem? Or point me in the direction of a different thread that could help as I dare say there is one :001_smile

Many Thanks

Of course, apologies. Its not very clear but I hope you get the idea! haha

$2014-07-31 18.54.57.jpg$2014-07-31 18.55.16.jpg$2014-07-31 18.55.45.jpg

What stones do you have? I would start out with a sharpie on the edge and the spine then do a few strokes on a known perfectly flat stone and see what it looks like. This will tell you where the edge and spine are hitting the stone. Then post that picture back here.

I had a similar one and three layers of tape on the spine helped, bevel was still uneven but it did set the bevel and I could hone it to shave well.the only other option I know would be to true up the spine.

Got a pic of the toe so we can see the grind?

Measure the spine width and blade width and calculate the bevel's angle too.

It looks like a near-wedge from the pics.

There are a few solutions. Heavy application of tape is the easiest, but will increase the effective angle. You could also force the razor back into shape on low grit hones using a number of techniques, the most popular probably being a rolling stroke on a narrow hone. From the looks of that bevel, the honewear will be pretty ugly when it's all said and done however, so be prepared for that. (Looks like the blade is pretty strongly bent).

It does, but I wasn't sure - still not sure.

Putting tape on a real wedge or very near wedge has to be done carefully, very evenly.
If the angle is already at, say - 18˚, I'd pass on tape and just hone the hell out of it, sand and buff the spinewear out later.

It does, but I wasn't sure - still not sure.

Putting tape on a real wedge or very near wedge has to be done carefully, very evenly.
If the angle is already at, say - 18˚, I'd pass on tape and just hone the hell out of it, sand and buff the spinewear out later.

Thanks for the replies.

I believe it is a full wedge as you say if not very close.

I think I'm going to 'hone the hell out of it' as you say haha! It was only a cheap find so if it works it works if it doesn't, well, lesson learned!

I’d bet on a barber hone before I’d blame a pasted strop.

It would have to be a pretty aggressive strop, with some diamond or low grit silicone oxide, I doubt it.

Either way, the blade is not straight and with excessive hone wear on the spine, tape is the only way to hone it. Start with 2 layers and ink the bevel.

If you grind the spine flat, you will still have to tape it to get an edge on it.

Top Bottom