What's new

Muhle Travel brush (synthetic) or just any synthetic for travel

Any thoughts/opinions regarding the Muhle synthetic travel brush? Would these be a good more straight forward choice for travel brush or would just getting a small knot synthetic brush be just as effective and drop it into a pill bottle with some holes in it for ventilation?

View attachment 478610View attachment 478611View attachment 478606
Travel tube size: 32 mm x 68 mm (82mm for the nickle plate)
Handle: 78 mm x 32 mm
Knot (at base): 21 mm
Loft: 48 mm (52mm for nickle)

Not sure if any other mfg has another nice travel brush out there to consider. Considering this to be my first synthetic, reasoning that it'll dry faster or if it needs to be put back into the dopp kit it can be ventilated later.

Is the longer loft of the nickle brush make the brush a bit easier to use. As I've been reading most of the better synthetic brushes appear to have a longer loft.

All thoughts welcome or if I've left something out of consideration. thx!

Last edited:
I've got the middle one (satin finish) and it's a great travel brush. Nice and compact with decent backbone for soaps or creams.
I tried using a normal synthetic with a homemade travel tube but it wasn't nearly as effective as this one.

Mr_Smartepants, thanks for the share in experience.. that's what I was leaning towards. Plus its listed to be the latest generation Muhle fibers if I read correctly.

Any synthetic will do great as long as you have a case for it to keep it from getting smashed in your bag, because synthetics categorically dry faster than natural brushes can ever hope to. The only real advantage turnback style brushes have is that the case is built in so it's a little bit more convenient and a little bit more clean looking. The effectiveness is otherwise the same I'd think.

I think my own gripe is trying not to get it mashed inside my dopp kit or even carry-on. When I travel its usually been the electric (yes i said it) but figured I'll grow up and try to use what the grownups use.

The turned turnback cases are nice but I think the diameter is a bit too big so it'll take up some precious space in the bag, hence the idea of the Muhle's above as they appear narrow.

Hmm.. the 23mm isn't that much bigger, may need to take a look. thx all

I have the chrome one and I love the handle / case design. I know my $8 Omega + pill bottle works fine but this is fancy. It dries very quick and it has a permanent spot in my rotation, it does not live in my dopp.

I use a tiny $5 makeup brush + a stick of Arko when I travel. It takes up very little room, dries almost instantly & whips up the Arko quickly & easily. Is a very utilitarian set up, but works great.

Any synthetic is great for travelling since they dry so fast, including the Muhle travel brushes.

However, you can easily bring any brush you like with proper care. I recommend the Muhle brush travel case that permits great flexibility.

http://connaughtshaving.com/murv.html

proxy.php

I travel very little but I'm extremely pleased with the only 2 synthetic knots I have. It's not fancy and doesn't come with a case of any sort, but The Body Shop synthetic is a lot of brush for the money. I nabbed mine on sale on for $7.20 but full price is only $12. I see a Mühle brush of some sort in my future.

I have the 23mm synthetic as a travel brush and store it in the cardboard box it came in.

I don't believe in the need for travel DE razors and I don't believe in the need for travel brushes.

In either case, you can achieve an easily workable combination of portability and good shaves with a regular razor and brush size, as long as you know what to look for.

In case of the razor, that would be a Mühle 3-piece razor.

In case of the brush, that would be any Mühle Silvertip Fibre synthetic brush combined with the $7.- Mühle Round Travel Protective Tube (See Mühle-Shop > Accesories > Travel).
These synthetic Silvertip Fibre brushes dry so easily that the special attention and care that a badger silvertip required can be cast aside. The protective tube will give the brush a home with the required minimum of ventilation.

No need to compromise on a good shave when traveling.

Just my 2 bits of advice...

Last edited:
I don't believe in the need for travel DE razors and I don't believe in the need for travel brushes.

In either case, you can achieve an easily workable combination of portability and good shaves with a regular razor and brush size, as long as you know what to look for.

In case of the razor, that would be a Mühle 3-piece razor.

In case of the brush, that would be any Mühle Silvertip Fibre synthetic brush combined with the $7.- Mühle Round Travel Protective Tube (See Mühle-Shop > Accesories > Travel).
These synthetic Silvertip Fibre brushes dry so easily that the special attention and care that a badger silvertip required can be cast aside. The protective tube will give the brush a home with the required minimum of ventilation.
No need to compromise on a good shave when traveling.

Just my 2 bits of advice...

There is no need for a specific razor and brush for travel. For me it's a matter of convenience to keep everything I need in a designated travel bag. Hence, I keep a Red Tip razor, 20 blades, a Muhle synthetic 23 mm brush, two shave sticks, one tube of cream, AS, WH, a styptic pencil, etc. in my travel bag. Previously I did not have one razor or brush in my bag and would pick one before a trip. And then a few years ago I was off to a fishing trip to Canada and on my first stop on my way I realized I forgot a brush. I tried finding a brush in the Louisville area fo KY, in Indiana, and wherever we made a stop on our way to Canada to find a brush. However, none could be found and I ended up buying some shaving gel. After that I put my Muhle and Red Tip in my bag so I would never have that problem again.

I picked the Muhle because it has enough backbone to handle any soap or cream and it dries fast. On longer trips - such as the 3 1/2 week trip I just came back from - I pack a second shaving brush for variety. Neither the brush nor the razor are travel size but are regular sizes.

Last edited:
I have the L'Occitane travel synthetic and it works well, although it is a bit small. I'm a bit of a sucker for travel products.

I have the one in the topmost pic, the Mühle travel brush in chrome. I like its performance and drying time a lot but use it only when I'm on the road. At home, I prefer natural hair brushes.

I could've just used one of my usual brushes in conjunction with a travel tube. Thing is I shave in the morning and checkout time is noon so I need a brush that dries in a few hours at most. If I had to do things all over again, I would have probably gone with a 23mm Mühle STF or a Grooming Co. Synthetic packed in a Mühle travel tube.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Just to be contrary, I've liked the Simpson Major in Super Badger. It doesn't rattle around .inside a case and it dries fast enough if you dry the tips off gently on a towel. It's also a valid brush to use every day if you wanted.

I think the reason to be concerned about a damp brush is not the brush since I assume badgers got wet on a regular basis, but putting a damp anything in your kit bag especially with a non-stainless razor. The brush gets wet every time you use it, stays wet or damp for hours and lasts for years right? I don't really see a issue here since we are rarely in transit for more than a day, and you can always use a stainless razor or pack the ever so slightly damp brush outside your razor kit.

Cheers, Steve

I have the black one, it works great. However sometimes I just take my full size STF brush and carry it in the cardboard tube it came in. Even my 25mm STF dries very quickly.

Big thanks! great input by all.. I'm floating around the idea of maybe a muhle 23mm w the tube but sort of like the idea of the compact but still usable travel specific 21mm brushes.
There's a few work trips coming so they'll be the experiments as I'm usually checking out last day when I leave for the office so there's almost no time to air dry. So it'll sit in the luggage till I get into the car or flight.

In regards to the Simpson Major, that's a nice looking brush so is a Shavemac (magnetic lid) turned travel brush I saw a over a week ago BST thou those are not made anymore. But from my experience playing around in AOS, aren't those sorta big diameter tubes? The metal ones pictured look smaller overall (never seen one in person) but still not as small as the l'occitane one which I've seen, i imagine the muhle to be bigger but still compact.

But it's sounding like any STF will dry quickly w a help of a towel ..

Much thanks for the thoughts and opinions!

For the razor I've got a few TTO's I've collected so intend to make use of that maybe.

Top Bottom