What's new

Looking for History of a Few Brush Makers

I am looking at stepping up and purchasing a higher-end brush (at least for me) very soon. I was looking at Shavemacs, Thaters, Simpsons, Rooney, and M&F. This got me thinking/wondering about the past relationship of Rooney/M&F/Lee which is a big blank to me. I always see these makers mentioned in threads together and would like to know if someone wouldn't mind sharing the history. It is not my intent to start controversy, but more out the fact that obtaining a new brush from any of these makers is pretty darn tough with Rooney being slightly easier of the 3.

The short answer is no one knows.

Lee Sabini apparently bought the Rooney brand from members of the Rooney family, in the 1990s I believe but opencorporates has some data. M&F was another company, and it is unclear to me how Lee acquired that brand. The present relationship between Lee and Rooney is also unclear.

Clear?

I'm not sure why any of this matters to anybody. It keeps coming up and there doesn't seem to be definitive answer.

I would like to get a brush from Lee...but he is somewhat difficult to get a hold of. So if his brushes are found under the Rooney or M&F nameplate then that makes a little bit (not much) easier to attain.

I would like to get a brush from Lee...but he is somewhat difficult to get a hold of. So if his brushes are found under the Rooney or M&F nameplate then that makes a little bit (not much) easier to attain.

The only extant M&F brushes are made by Lee Sabini. Distribution is informal. It seems he wants to have one on one relationships with his customers, and I respect that. So personally I would only buy one directly from Lee - but I understand why that might be frustrating.

Lee has been quoted as saying that he is no longer involved with Rooney. So it is unclear who is making new Rooney brushes now, or brushes that used to be made by Rooney such as T&H, etc. But you could check with vendors like Vintage Blades and see what they say about their Rooney stock.

I'm not sure why any of this matters to anybody. It keeps coming up and there doesn't seem to be definitive answer.

Someone weird like me would prefer to have a two band Rooney Heritage Beehive, Size 2. I'm sure the M&F is just swell, but it's not the match I'm hoping to find for my size 1. :001_smile

You mean like this Bob
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406848430.115567.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the information! Based on the comments, I will reach out to Lee directly

Top Bottom